Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Getting Started

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2004, 12:42 PM
paulo_64

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting Started

Hi Everyone,

I am a big fan of offshore powerboat racing and want to get into a gas boat. I am guessing a vee bottom would be best to start (but I really like cats). I have access to a small lake with no boat traffic, so there will be plenty of room to run. I just would like some input on your experience with different boats, companies, etc.

My ultimate goal is to scratch build a boat, but figure I should stick with a ready or almost ready to run seeing as I have no RC experience.

Thanks
Old 09-02-2004, 01:57 PM
pompebled

Default RE: Getting Started

Hi Paulo_64,

It's always wise to gather some experience before getting a big gas cat.
Try to find a club in your neighborhood to get some hands on advice, maybe find a second hand boat?
Stay away from the RTR boats, the majority is not very good.

As far as questions go, there's plenty of experience on this (and other) forum.

If you like cats, go for it!
There's not that much difference in setting up a cat, in fact, I think it's even easier than a mono-hull.

If you have any questions, bring them on!

Regards, Jan.
Old 09-02-2004, 02:11 PM
paulo_64

A club sounds like a great idea. Anyone know of clubs in Southeast Michigan???
Old 09-02-2004, 07:03 PM
Velocity-8
My Feedback: (15)

What is your budget? You can get a big boat (like 40-55") that runs on regular gas with a run times over 30 minutes at 30-40 mph for $1000+. You can also get a smaller nitro boat anywhere from $250 on up and run 30 mph but with shorter run times.

Without R/C exerience I suggest an assembled boat of your liking where you add the radio equipment. You might want to try electric boats first to get your feet wet (so to speak) :-) Electrics are easier to deal with and can go plenty fast.

Keep it simple for your first boat and you will have a lot of fun!!

Post more questions if you have them.
Old 09-06-2004, 06:57 AM
Jared1106

ORIGINAL: Velocity-8

Keep it simple for your first boat and you will have a lot of fun!!

That is great advise, nobody said that to me when I bought my first boat... Well who am I kidding, I wouldnt have listened anyway!!!! he he..
paulo, in my area there is a shop that has a bunch of boats. You can get a VERY nice new Enforcer, which is an excellant, user friendly boat deep V for less than 800.00 radio included, at least at this shop you can, this guy puts them together himself and sells at a real good price. I bought a Enforcer and I love it, reliable, fun, easy to run. But shop around, there is a lot of deals out there to be had if you just look for them. I have got a nice boat off of eBay at an unreal price...
Good luck in your search, and dont settle, there is a lot of boats out there and it just take a bit of time to find what you want at what you want to spend!!
Good Luck!!!!!!
Old 09-06-2004, 08:30 AM
rcflyertwo
My Feedback: (3)

[8D] The new Shockwave 36 by pro boat is a great entry level nitro boat, three feet long, fiberglass hull and deck, Prather hardware and JR radio gear, already assembled and ready to go, Its my first boat that I have been running for a couple of weeks now and it is great For aprox $300 it is an excellant value. At 3 ft is a good medium size very visable and seems to handle very well, I did a little tweeking on mine and its running very strong, I would say 30 to 35mph easily Mine runs for twenty minutes at least, so run times don't seem to be a problem for me. Butch in Niagara Falls