Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Hovercraft help

Old 09-15-2004, 07:45 PM
CsChuck14
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hovercraft help

If you know anything about hovercrafts please e-mail me [email protected]
i need all the help i can get... i have a-lot of questions about them, and need them answered asap!
thanks for your help!
Old 09-15-2004, 08:37 PM
Bsmooth

Default RE: Hovercraft help

I've started making one, How can I help?
Old 09-15-2004, 08:53 PM
CsChuck14

e-mail me [email protected]
Old 09-20-2004, 12:24 PM
CsChuck14

what kind of material do you use to make the skirt from, where can you get it? where do you get a prop to use?
is it better to have a hole in the frame for the air to come out of? or is it better to have the air go into the skirt, then have slits in the skirt
you can answer here or e-mail them to me
Old 11-13-2004, 09:25 PM
Ken-Ohki

My first design used a trashbag with many holes in the bottom.. this worked, but did not like unsmooth surfaces.. the next generation used 10mil plastic and has a hole cut out of the bottom about 2 inches in from the edge of the bottom and it now travels very well over most surfaces.

As far as props go, Your LHS or your favorite online hobbyshop.

I started with a 280 motor for a lift fan with a 7 cell pack and a 5x2.5 prop I got off a hobbyzone firebird. this lasted about 3 hours before burning out. Next was a old 300, this burned out imidiatly, ( it was a old motor ) next up, a GWS eps400 direct drive with the same prop, The batteries im using are under recomended voltage for this motor, but it runs just fine for this purpouse and dam near bunny hopps teh hovercraft if I good teh lift throttle wile turning.

FOr a drive fan, I first used a GWS eps 300 direct drive with the same firebird prop I used for the lift fan, It too about 5 hours to burn this motor on a 8 cell pack, but man was it fast and fun.. The hovercraft is now going through another redisign to balance a 580 I got off a aerobird extream,, Man this thing is gonna scooot hehe.

I am using 2 fans, with seperate esc's. You can make a hovercraft with just 1 motor, but I wanted to be able to hover without moving. Slow speed tight manuvering is easier with a 2 motor setup.. On the speed controls, the lift fan's esc has had its red wire cliped and has its own battery that does nothing but drive the lift fan,, the drive fan's esc controls the servo the drive fan is siting on for steering.

Have fun

Ken-Ohki
"I make things do what I want them too, The Hell with what they are designed to do.."
Old 11-14-2004, 12:12 AM
gulfstreamI

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: CsChuck14

If you know anything about hovercrafts please e-mail me [email protected]
i need all the help i can get... i have a-lot of questions about them, and need them answered asap!
thanks for your help!
Chuck,

Have a look at this old thread:[link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/Hovercraft/m_107999/tm.htm[/link] They've got a lot of interesting info over there you might be able to put to good use.

Goodluck in your project!