Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Engine to cold ?

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Engine to cold ?

Old 10-22-2004, 02:50 PM
lowgear-RCU
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine to cold ?

HI,
I have a K&B 7.5 Outboard engine, the motor runs for a short time then stops. The motor is set rich for break in. The motor is ice cold when i touch it, do the motors run well that cold ? Is there anyway to make the motor run hotter ?

Thank You !!

Terry
Old 10-22-2004, 11:01 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: Engine to cold ?

If it's a new engine and if you are going by the K&B owners manual for break-in, it's probably way too rich. Lean it out until the head gets warm, not hot to the touch. Are you running it in cold water? You probably are seeing how you're in Michigan. That could be part of the problem with it being too cold.
Old 10-23-2004, 06:02 AM
lowgear-RCU

Hey Ron,
Yes I 'm running the boat in Michigan about 150 miles east of you. I have a pond in back of the house & the water is cold !! Can I change the size of the water nipple to slow down the water flow ?
Where are you running your boats ? I have relatives in Battle Creek I'm there once a month.

I don't know what I would do with out you, Thanks Again !!!

Terry
Old 10-23-2004, 08:36 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Yes, there are several ways to restrict the flow. The easiest way is if can find another nipple fitting and put some solder in it, then drill it out to the size that you'd like. Do this on the intake side only. One other trick is to use a wheel collar and use the screw to adjust the flow. You do have to watch that it doesn't get a hole in the line.
I've got 3 ponds nearby that I run at. You'll have to let me know when you're in the area.
Old 10-23-2004, 12:58 PM
lowgear-RCU

Thanks Ron,
I'll try the wheel collar first, SUPPER TIPS
I have a Prather 3.5 Outrigger and the new OS 3.5 Outboard, I should have it painted by next week. I really love Luster Coat paint, you were right about the paint it is the best that I have ever used ! It took many hours prepping the hull but it was worth every minute, the paint went on like glass & filled some minor imperfections that I missed. As you said not as shinny as most but seems bullet prof.
Yes I would love to get together, hopefully before old man winter set's in.

Terry