Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

tools

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2004, 08:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tools

I am in the process of improving my hobby tool arsenal. To you, what are the tools that you find help you the most? Thanks this will help a lot.
Old 11-25-2004, 11:35 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: tools

First find out what tools that you need to construct the boat (or boats) and save them to a tool box so that none are forgotten when you hit the pond. A glow plug wrench is handy, I carry several. One of those drivers that you can insert screwdriver and sockets into is invaluable. The handle alone without a bit in it is the right size for removing prop nuts on 3/16" cables. Pliers, radio box tape, zip ties are a must.
I pick up cheap tools at Dollar stores, traveling hardware shows like Homier so it's no big loss if I lose something. I leave the good stuff at home.
Old 11-25-2004, 01:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

'Pipe,
For the 'complete' list see 'Harbor Freight's catalogue, then your banker. From that point I think it's more a sort of 'model specific' kind'a thing.
After all the 'usual' tools normally recomended you might find that a small set of 'tin-snips' comes in handy for cutting plastic. I find that I have more control with them rather than a pair of regular scissors. They will not work in every situation, unfortunately.
Three or four hundred different shaped sanding blocks, files, rasps, and such?
A level work bench.
Adequate lighting. Never enough until the airconditioner has to be turned on because of them, or sunblocker has to be applied before turning them on.
A ~good~ knife handle, not the typical light weight plastic thingys.
A ventilation/exhaust fan.
An 'on/off' switch for the phone and door bell. (And the wife/husband! You'll make enough to buy every kit in the world. I'll take two!)
A 'right angle' head for any power tool.
A really good tool box to hold all that stuff.
An addition to the house for all of the above. (See aforementioned banker again.)
- 'Doc

PS - There are a few 'gems' in the above mess. The rest is just wishful thinking.
Old 11-25-2004, 07:07 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Yes, a Dremel. If you don't have one, get one. I don't know how I would do without at least one. I have one that has the right-angle drive on it at all times and use that one more often than I ever thought that I would. I first needed the right-angle drive for drilling motor mount holes but it comes in useful for radio box holes and other hard to reach spots.