Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

boat retrieval

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2005, 12:15 AM
wierd_dragon
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default boat retrieval

hey

i have a nikko electric boat and i want to add something onto it so that i can go out with it to retrieve my nitro boat when it runs out of fuel in the middle of the pond or lake. the nitro is a catamaran with an outboard engine on it. how would i do it? i've heard the tie a tennis ball and have it catch onto something but i've tried that and it doesn't work because once it catches it it just slips right off when u reel it back in due to the turn that it makes. thanks
Old 01-13-2005, 05:00 AM
*JCB*
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: boat retrieval

i use an electric boat to retrieve my nitro boat too. I tied the end of a line of a fishing reel on to the electric. I just send the little e/p out and around the dead boat (dragging the fishing line) and it usually will catch the boat's rudder or skid fin. I either have a friend reel it in while I bring the e/p back in, or i just bring the e/p back in and hold the line while i reel it in. This techniqe has worked the best for me so far.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35682.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	214506   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw72474.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	214507  
Old 01-13-2005, 09:17 AM
LtDoc

Wierd',
There are several methods that work. Some work 'better' than others and it just depends on the situation and how good a boat driver you are.

With the 'ball and line' method, using a fairly long line (that floats!) is the key. The idea is to tangle it in some of the running gear, rudder, prop, whatever, and may take several circles around the stalled boat to get things tangled enough not to turn loose.

Another way is to use a boat, or an attachment on a boat to push the stalled boat. This method requires that you have pretty good view of both boats, along with being a good driver (even then it may take several tries). [I have a 'towboat' that works very well at this.]

Then there's the fishing pole/blunted hook scheme. Or instead of a blunted hook, some kinda floating weight/thingy. Usually take several tries, IF you can reach the boat at all with it. You also need to be careful not to hit the boat with the weighted thingy! If it weighs enough to 'pull' the line out there, it can make a very pretty hole in the boat -lol.

You hear about sending a dog after stalled boats. All the dogs of my aquaintance usually have more enthusiasm than sense, meaning you have to repair the teeth marks before sailing again. If your dog is better behaved than the ones I've seen, you're very lucky, give it a shot. (But not on MY boat!)

Then there's the old standbys. Bring your swimming trunks. Wait for the wind to blow it to you. Get someone else to go get it (kids are good for that!). An inflatable boat.

Go look at the 'retrieval' section at "www.vac-u-boat.com". Lots of information about towing, pushing stalled boats. How to and how not to stuff. Whatever, however you do it, make it fun to do...
- 'Doc
Old 01-13-2005, 09:48 AM
stevblutu15

ive used the meathod listed above, but when i pulled the line, the boat began to take on water and sunk, haha. i still got it back though.
Old 01-13-2005, 12:41 PM
Umi_Ryuzuki

I prefer the "bragging rights" of being able to push a stranded boat in with just my rc boat.
However, I can see where another fast electric will not have the speed control to keep the stranded boat on its bow.
One of our club members drags a treble hook and a bobber behind his boat and as he loops around the stranded boat the bobber and hook will snag the rudder or propeller, and put the boat in tow.

Here are some other innovative Ideas.[8D]
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=266574
Old 01-13-2005, 01:32 PM
LtDoc

Retrieval boats.

In general, a retrieval boat should have lots of power and endurance. Speed isn't a requirement, as such, and will get you into trouble more often than not (sunk boat). Just like the full sized tugs, etc, you have to moderate your technique for the size of the boat being towed/pushed. In something the size of the 'Darby' pushing a 15" boat, that means 'dead slow'. If that 15" boat is trying to push the 'Darby', it'll probably never get back to the bank or it'll take a looong time - lol.
There is no 'one' best way, or only way. Almost anything will work, sort of, so it just depends on what you have to work with and how much trouble you want to go to. Nothing says you can't retrieve with a sail boat. Pray for wind!
- 'Doc

Umi,
Looked at the link. Like all those methods! Just too lazy to use some of them - lol.
Old 01-13-2005, 05:24 PM
stevblutu15

i tried to push my bros boat slowly with my fun cruiser. he has a CB. it put like four holes into the wood thanks to fiberglass