Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

New to r/c boating, Please Help!!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

New to r/c boating, Please Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2005, 01:12 PM
kaisermusic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to r/c boating, Please Help!!

Hey everyone,

I am new to the r/c boating scene and need a little help. First off, I am building a custom 52" mono hull boat and will be using a 1.3 HP (21.2cc) echo trimmer engine. I have heard many different opinions on engines, but have decided to use the one I have and do little to no mods. I will use the stock carb and keep it air cooled.

I need to know what prop and rudder sytem would work best for my setup. Also, I need info on connecting the prop shaft to the echo engine. If anyone has personally used an echo engine, please let me know!

Thanks
Old 06-01-2005, 07:13 AM
jdoug

Default RE: New to r/c boating, Please Help!!

What kind of drive is on the engine. If it is a 1/4" square then you can just use a square ended flex cable from the trimmer cut to the right length and solder on a ferrule. Square end in the engine - round end goes to the ferrule. Ferrule connects the flex cable to the prop shaft. Marine Specialties makes a well built cheap dual rudder system (HBR top pull) that is fully adjustable. The guys there will also be helpful with any questions. Their prop shaft kit comes with the solder on ferrule and everything except the prop. Ask them about the prop with that engine. Probably the 270 or 275 prather prop.

http://www.marinespecialties-rc.com/hbrinfo.htm
Old 06-01-2005, 10:05 AM
kaisermusic

yeah it has a square shaft. I looked at that kit for 69 bucks, but it didnt seem to have all the stuff included with it. they were all listed as add ons. Beyond the 69 dollar thing, what would i need to buy extra that they list? Also, do I need to fiberglass the bottom outside of the hull? can I shoot it with automotive grade lacker? it is going to be an all wood boat.
Thanks
Old 06-01-2005, 10:36 AM
jkulhanek

Is it the echo SRM 190? or 200?

If it is...

Change those breaker points to electronic to save yourself a lot of hassles, they are very cheap and are available at most chainsaw/trimmer stores.

My experiences with echo engines tells me not to use one again, while they are relatively reliable, they just don't perform to my liking.

However, it still should have enough poke to put a smile on your dial!

The choice of engine for me is a Zenoah G230/260 PUM watercooled boat engine. Also a superior he23hp fitted with a sikk toys 27cc watercooled big bore kit, carb and pipe would be a fantastic motor, and the he/sikk motors are very cheap!
Old 06-01-2005, 10:53 AM
kaisermusic

it is actually from a gt-200r which is the same enigne that is in the srm-210 (21.2 cc/1.3 HP)