Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Speedmaster VM-4SK Set-Up

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Speedmaster VM-4SK Set-Up

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2005, 08:43 AM
HD F150 SC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speedmaster VM-4SK Set-Up

Does anyone have an instructions link or illustration for the proper set-up of a SpeedMaster Skeg Strut handy (cable, dog, bearing, stuffing tubes, thrust washers, prop & nut)? Thanks in advance.
Chuck
Old 08-07-2005, 09:12 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: Speedmaster VM-4SK Set-Up

I didn't know that Bill made one until I just looked, it's a new item. I use Speedmaster hardware on 3 of my boats so it should be the same as what I have. I don't use thrust washers but I don't know what you are going to use this for. I use Bill's brass bearing but have either a Hughey or Aeromarine flex cable, Aeromarine stuffing tube, an Octura drive dog and any prop nuts (Zuber or Prather). I can't tell you what prop to use as you didn't tell us what you're hanging the hardware on.
I get all of my Speedmaster parts from Gary Preusse who has an in-home Hobby Shop. He isn't online so you have to call him at 630-279-2451. Tell him what you're putting it on and he'll set you up with whatever you need. He lives in the Chicago 'burbs so take that into consideration. Yes, we've called him on Sundays and his prices are lower than if you went through Bill McGraw at Speedmaster. A long-distance phone call to him is always worth the cost.
As far as setting it up on your boat, usually there aren't any instructions so let us know what you're tossing it on and we can help you from there.
Old 08-08-2005, 01:58 AM
HD F150 SC

I've already got a large pile of parts, I did not receive any instructions with the parts. This set-up is going on a cat. As far as i can tell, a 5/16" brass tube slides into the strut and the SpeedMaster Bearing (swiss cheese tube) slips into it. Then it looks like a 11/32" brass tube fits over the smaller one to make an intrance into the hull. Does the 11/32" fit tight against the nose of the strut? I have a hughey shaft, does the drive dog ride against the end of the SpeedMaster Bearing with no thrust washers? That's the part that's confusing me. Thanks Ron.
Chuck
Old 08-08-2005, 08:50 AM
Ron Olson

No, you just leave a gap of around 1/4" for flex cable wind-up between the strut and drive dog. Some of the stuffing tubes can slip part-way into the strut, other run them all the way through. Thr Aeromarine tubes that I've used have a smaller piece of tubing in the end so that it only goes in so far.
On my Sport 40, it was the first time that I used the Speedmaster brass insert and I kind of like it. Before I''ve used the Octura lead-teflon bushings. Those were touchy to get in properly.
With the 5/16" insert I an assuming that you're using a 1/4" drive? If you're using a nitro engine then this setup will work. A square-drive cabled Gas boat will need the thrust washers.
Old 08-08-2005, 05:13 PM
HD F150 SC

I will have to put the 5/16" tube all the way thru the strut because it has to support the bearing, but should I take the 5/16" tube from inside the strut all the way thru the 11/32" tube into the hull? If I do that, the flex will be fully supported with little room for grease, or should I only take a inch or two out of the strut towards the hull, inside the 11/32" and have more clearance between the flex and the 11/32"? Does this make any sense?[] This is a new one for me, so please be easy on me! Oh, by the way, the 11/32" will be running into a Butch Block with 1/4" flex into the collet.
Old 08-08-2005, 05:33 PM
Ron Olson

Knowing that this is going into a Gas boat helps a lot. The Speedmaster site didn't specify what the drive was, 3/16" or 1/4". The Speedmaster bushing fits well in my strut but I'm running a 3/16" drive. to make it easier, I'd just cut a piece of brass tubing long enough for the bushing to fit into, it would make strut adjustments a lot easier. If you are using a Telfon liner you'd have to do some slight mods anyway. The holes in the bearing should hold enough grease, at least I'm hoping so.
I don't think that using the Butch Block or his "T" Bar would make much difference in the stuffing tube for what you're trying to set up.
I'll be easy on you as Gas is something that I'm still learning about yet myself!
One of these days I'll put one together. I almost did last winter. See, I do know what a Butch Block is. I know what Butch looks like too as he was working with Remy in the Aeromarine booth at the Toledo show.