Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Thunder Tiger Engine Mounting

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Thunder Tiger Engine Mounting

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 01:20 AM
Empedocles

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thunder Tiger Engine Mounting

I have a Thunder Tiger .21cu inboard marine engine (PRO-21MX-R) that I need a mount for. I was looking at the Aeromarine Rubber Isolated Engine Mounts, and would really like to mount it on one of their 4" mounts. However, they only list their mounts by the brand of engine that they fit, and Thunder Tiger is not one of those listed brands. I'm wondering if anyone can tell me what brand of engine(CMB, OPS, Picco, O.S, Nova rossi, and K&B are the options)--if any--would have mounting holes matching those on a Thunder Tiger .21cu? The mounting holes on my engine are 19/32" (~15.1mm) apart. I've emailed Aeromarine about it a few times but they have not responded, so I'm desperate for some information here! Which--if any--brand does a Thunder Tiger match up with? Or, failing that, does anyone know of any sort of alternative/universal mount that is already drilled and tapped or that does not need to be drilled and tapped? The web seems to be mostly devoid of any information on Thunder Tiger Engines.

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-09-2006, 08:50 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: Thunder Tiger Engine Mounting

More than likely, these mounts may be pre-drilled to fit those engines. You other choices would be the Octura or Speedmaster engine mounts. Speedmaster's are at www.rossisales.com but be forewarned that their aluminum is harder than the others. I know as I have the broken taps to prove it!
Old 06-09-2006, 09:30 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: Ron Olson

More than likely, these mounts may be pre-drilled to fit those engines. You other choices would be the Octura or Speedmaster engine mounts. Speedmaster's are at www.rossisales.com but be forewarned that their aluminum is harder than the others. I know as I have the broken taps to prove it!
Ain't that the truth. While I haven't broken any taps on them (yet) I've found they take about 3 times as long to cut the threads as on the typical airplane mount.
Old 06-09-2006, 11:48 AM
Ron Olson

Yeah, I've got one mount downstairs with 3 broken taps in then, that's why I switched over to the Octura "Humm-Dinger" mounts. Some complain that they're heavier but once I've got everything tapped and ready, I can remove the channel that runs under the engine and then it's just as light as the Speedmaster mounts.
Old 06-09-2006, 12:59 PM
Empedocles

Hey guys,
My understanding was also that the Aeromarine Mounts are pre-drilled and tapped to fit those engines. That's why I was asking if the TT engine would match any of those--ie, match the pre-made holes on any of those mounts. Unfortunately, I do not have the tools to properly drill and tap my own mount, which is why I'm looking for one pre-tapped. I bought a completely blank mount before, and drove 30 minutes to a hobby shop to have them drill and tap it for my engine, only to have them do it all crooked, essentially ruining the mount, unless I wanted to tear the rails of my boat and mount them at the matching crooked-ness. I didn't. I had considered trying to do something with the speedmaster mounts myself, but your responses have not encouraged me in that regard!
Old 06-09-2006, 10:22 PM
green-boat

That wouldn't be the hobby shop off of Prospect and the highway near Lowes would it.
Old 06-09-2006, 10:35 PM
piper_chuck

ORIGINAL: Empedocles

Hey guys,
My understanding was also that the Aeromarine Mounts are pre-drilled and tapped to fit those engines. That's why I was asking if the TT engine would match any of those--ie, match the pre-made holes on any of those mounts. Unfortunately, I do not have the tools to properly drill and tap my own mount, which is why I'm looking for one pre-tapped. I bought a completely blank mount before, and drove 30 minutes to a hobby shop to have them drill and tap it for my engine, only to have them do it all crooked, essentially ruining the mount, unless I wanted to tear the rails of my boat and mount them at the matching crooked-ness. I didn't. I had considered trying to do something with the speedmaster mounts myself, but your responses have not encouraged me in that regard!
Try calling either Speedmaster http://www.rossisales.com or G&M models
(630) 279-2451 to see if they can drill & tap a set of mounts for you.
Old 06-09-2006, 10:38 PM
Empedocles

No, it wasn't. It was Al's Hobby Shop, in Elmhurst, Illinois. With the holes they put in my mount, the engine sat at least 10 degrees out of square. I've actually never been to a shop in the Urbana-Champaign Area. Is this shop by Prospect and I-74 (I assume you're thinking of 74, that's where Lowe's is) a good one? Remember the name by any chance? I'll be back in Urbana in a few days and may be able to take advantage of their services.
Old 06-09-2006, 10:41 PM
piper_chuck

Something else to consider is it's not unheard of to enlarge the mounting holes in the engine, or even to drill a new set to match an exsisting mount. I actually just did this for an OS .81 that I installed in my Sprintcat. I was faced with a decision of drilling new holes in the engine or tapping a second set of holes in the speedmaster mount. In the end, I chose to drill new engine holes.
Old 06-09-2006, 10:42 PM
Empedocles

Thanks Piper Chuck, I may try that if this shop Green Boat is thinking of doesn't work out. I'd much rather have someone who can have my engine in front of them do the mounting than a faraway shop if possible, but it may come down to measuring carefully and asking someone like speedmaster if they can do the job.
Old 06-09-2006, 11:28 PM
Empedocles

Man, Piper Chuck, you keep slipping in another post while I'm writing a reply to the one before yours! (my previous post was addressing your FIRST post in this thread)

I had actually not considered drilling a hole in the engine casing itself instead. That's not a bad idea at all. Though it of course still leaves me with the tast of finding a mount that the engine will fit on and that has a significantly different mounting hole spacing than mine so I'm not putting two holes right on top of each other in the engine. Still, that seems much more feasable for me than a proper drill and tap job. I am actually starting to consider just buying the tools to do it though--I've never tapped a thread in my life, but I'm pretty handy, so maybe I should just go for it.
Old 06-09-2006, 11:38 PM
green-boat

I had noticed that you were from Urbana, which is close to Champaign. I have been to Al's before up there in Elmhurst, just your run of the mill LHS. The one at Prospect and 74 is Slot and Wing, it's on the northeast corner of the intersection. They are a unique hobby shop, they have new, used and return buyouts. Give yourself plenty of time to go thru every nook and cranny, you never know what you may find. As for the hole drilling, if you don't have a drill press with a vise find a friend with one or go to a machine shop to have drilled square. It can be drilled by hand but it needs to be laid out straight and square, checked and rechecked.....
Old 06-09-2006, 11:41 PM
Ron Olson

Chuck beat me out in recommending Gary Preusse at G&M Models, he's up in the Chicago suburbs.