Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

RC Surfer

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 08:15 PM
surfcurls
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RC Surfer

Dom / YPC

Great Work. Are you actually going to attempt to sell a few at $1000 Locally
Poster and all ? That would be Great !!! Let us Know How It Goes ...
Old 09-03-2012, 12:32 AM
YPC

Howzit MJ.......unfortunately NOT !................my board was a tad slow for the 'close out' .............I am running a plastic 30mm prop........need to prop up to a 32mm steel prop for that 'extra' spped..... in sections like that.

Looking forward to seeing some of your Winter swell footage............should be with you all pretty soon.

Had another great surf session yesterday......while the Sun - Waves and Lisa- Marie are available to put it altogether - I'm Loving it..........

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVw323tD3Pk[/youtube]

Bro'
Old 09-03-2012, 01:21 AM
YPC

A few pictures taken yesterday afternoon of my 'neighborhood' in Cape Town - taken from a small mountain pass "BoysDrive"......we have Shark spotters who sit on this pass and monitor the Great white sharks movements in the bay to alert the bathers if they come into the bathing/surf areas.
The Bay is 'False Bay'...........at the Southern tip of Africa.....The home of the "Great White shark'......there are many great beaches and reefs around the bay to enjoy.
These spots a few 'on my doorstep......so to speak.

1- Marina - da Gama - my home - the group of white houses in the distance - all built on a natural estery - Zand vlei - a Nature reserve.
2 - Our local Muizenberg Beach. part of False Bay.
3 - Kalk Bay Reef and Harbor.......the reef had great waves yesterday.
4 - Fishoek beach - part of False Bay.......surf is closer in - great for rc surfing
5 - African Sun..............................

If ever you are visiting cape Town..............let me know......it would be great to share a rc surf session.

Bro'
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82026.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	1797783   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ea84382.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	1797784   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu51120.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	132.0 KB
ID:	1797785   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lf94216.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	1797786   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bm76135.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	1797787  
Old 09-03-2012, 06:55 AM
bearcave

After an engine room leakmy ESC stopped working. Closer inspection revealed thewaterproof coating of the circuit boarddidn't helpmuch afterwater got in the end of the heatshrink.

I washed in fresh water blow dry then Inox spray (like wd40 or a penetrateing fish oil type spray) with more blowing and all looked good but when connected to battery it just got hot and smoked within seconds..... thinks its over for this esc..

Anyway I am thinking of doing the Prestick / Tick Tack / Blu Tac thing but was wondering if a non acidic cure bathroom silastic might work ok if squirted up the ends of the heatshrink?

BTW when you guys waterproof coat or encase your 2.4 receivers what do you do about the bind switch?

(I still use the old 27mhz radio systems but I did waterproof a spectrum receiver once. Iisolated the bind switch while coating and then used silicone grease around the bind switch. Seemed to work ok but dueto brown outs i went backto the old radio before ihad any big floods so i'm not surehoweffective it was)

Here are two photo's of the deceased esc. It was only 5yrs old. RIP

Name:	Yw67476.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	1797910   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rn39608.jpg
Size:	118.8 KB
ID:	1797911  
Old 09-03-2012, 08:10 AM
YPC

Hi BearCave...............that sucks !

I had a leak on a ESC at the point where the ESC's cooling inlet pipe fitted into the aluminium cooling block.........so the water went straight into the electronics !!!!!
Burnt the interior of my board #3 beyond repair......lucky it was 'on the water' at the time, it was just short of a small explosion....imagine if the lipo caught fire.....these things have serious flame out...........meters high.

The 'waterproof' coating on the ESC is worthless.....washes off.....DO NOT RELY ON THE 'WATER PROOF' CLAIM......I'm sure it is tested with a hand held atomizer in the factory - under lab conditions.........LOL
For the binding port....if you epoxy the RX -as for all the ports - just add an 'extension lead' that will protrude out of the epoxied block.
Be sure to use low temp 'potting epoxy' - as general epoxy's curing temp can damage the electronics

Silicon is a solution for the ESC ends - BUT - it does not always get in between the heat shrink and the wires or Caps - so water could still penetrate. The silicone also does not always 'stick' to the heat shrink.......a vulnerable seal.

When I prepare my 'housing' components - I treat every component as if it 'will be' subjected to water and ensure that it is as water tight as possible - RX - steering servo - ESC - Battery - I spray WD40 into the small bearings of the motor - I dont want to have swim to the surf back-line in our shark infested waters to rescue my board.....

As they say with boating - a leak in the radio box is not a possibility - its a probability.......................... you just never know 'When'........so best be prepared....

5 years.............it was about time for a new one.............LOL.......fortunately they are a whole lot cheaper now days.........

Bro'

Yours is deceased.......mine is Cremated !

Name:	Ec88762.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	120.1 KB
ID:	1797928  
Old 09-03-2012, 11:44 AM
YPC

Hey guys.....Ive been doing some rc surfer web site and sales research for my own site.....this is what $200 buys you.

Visit this site - read the article and watch the Video of the RC SURF Lisa original 'extreme' surfing.......its hair raising......as they warn.....watch out for 'cheap imitations'

read under:

'features'......'nearly' unsinkable........double wing Ru-bb-er..............

'includes' .....you get a TSD 1911 A1 Spring Silver Airsoft Gun is that for added fun........perhaps let your buddy try and shoot the rc surfer whilst you are surfing it.....

LOL......I'm in tears of laughter......LOL - hope you enjoy it as much as I have..... it will be one of my Youtube 'favourites'

http://www.trendtimes.com/remote-control-surfer.html

Bro'
Old 09-03-2012, 01:21 PM
surfcurls
Banned

Dom,

Looks like NQD has come out with a male figure. From all accounts the NQD was done, I bet they tweeked it a bit.
The video also shows a 2.4 ghz hobby king TX. Very interesting. Eventually they may get it right.
They have already gone thru two hull changes, that improved the board a bit, maybe this one has been improved?

I took a look at it and shipping to me is $29 ? I'm only 100 miles away from them! Total came out to $229 ...
Old 09-03-2012, 11:00 PM
bearcave

YPC. Nice burn out.

I'm aware about esc's cooking and burning from overloading or not enoughcooling but I never thought about the water shorting the circuits createing so much heat..... just thought it would shut down...learn something every day.... and yeh flames and swimming are not exactly ideal....
That esc was an Xpower 100amp which fit nice in the hull and never even got warm but needed a 6v receiver batt so its being replaced by a Seaking 90amp with bec..... It says its waterproofbut.... LOL

Iused this stuff we have here called BluTac formy batterysthen taped up but it sure is hard to get down between the wires... do you pu**** in with a stick or something..... Its quite expensive and don't get much cause its just for makeing little balls then sticking posters to walls, maybe i'm useing the wrong stuff.

Anyway I was also thinking of removeing the heatshrink and coating again with thisconformal coating stuff i've done receivers with before...... and then the tac or something around the ends.... and then new heatshrink over the top to shrink on the sealant (if it ever gets here on the slow boat from HK)..... and then tape... and then.....

Thanks for the info..... The lead out before encapsulateing sounds good but the spectrum receiver i used had a little bind button on the pc board.
AND btw when researching esc's i noticed that reveiws of certain esc cooling pipes that were threaded all leaked and needed to be undone and resealed properly before use.... but i guess you know that now... lol

And why you laugh at RC Lisa or Don..... my first board was a $65 nqd Lisa..... I loved the 100% metal actuateing mechanism (which is the rusty steel rudder wire), not to mention the long run time of the 7.2v large capacity 1700mah NiCd.....
Old 09-04-2012, 12:35 AM
YPC

Hi bearcave...

When I waterproof the esc I trim the heat shrink back from the wires and Caps on either end... I 'surround' (enclose) the ends with the Prestick then wrap the entire unit with insulation tape. That way the unit is well sealed.....
Sometimes you need to use a small dowl to force the Prestick into areas............

You paid $65 for your QD !!!......that was obviously without the 'air soft rifle' hence the extra $100..............I'm still trying to figure what that is for....?....although I have a few ideas of my own.

I now have 'huge' respect for those who have got the QD to perform the way I have seen some surf...............

Bro'

Doing some research on various fins.........it amazing to see that the Bi- Fin type design dates back to 1955 (57 years ago)........there are some seriously innovative fin designs.

Name:	Db84233.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	1798255   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg15445.jpg
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	1798256   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch97140.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	15.7 KB
ID:	1798257  
Attached Images  
Old 09-04-2012, 08:37 AM
RC HAWAIIAN STYLE

dom

When i was a kid ( still am ) Iused the red bi fin one on my single fin rounded pin,, i got a new single fin, alot smaller and the board riped way better .

you have used one what do you think MJ
Old 09-04-2012, 11:57 AM
YPC

Hi MJ...........

I have never surfed with one of the Bi-Fins.............I'm just very interested in the various fin designs, as I feel the fin design plays a major roll in the rc surfers performance.

Bro'..............Hope you had a great Labor Day !
Old 09-04-2012, 03:54 PM
kitekook

New Setup for Tomorrow....

Put nut in base for monopod support...
Old 09-04-2012, 07:23 PM
fortune

Hey everyone. I am a recent lurker to this thread and thought that I would chime in. About 8 years ago I bought a modified dude from Ed at RC Surfrider. At the time I was living in Seal Beach and was already into planes and cars but this thing looked awesome and I had to have one. I would usually surf it near the jetty just north of the pier. Needless to say it got a workout usually 4 packs (3600 nimhs) about 3-4 times a week. It was/is equipped with a 19 turn motor that was replaced about every other month. I tried replacing the brushes but the comms needed a shave and I wasn't competent with electric motors as my other RC stuff was all nitro. Never the less I was addicted to this thing. Life however got in the way of fun and my surfer has been a shelf queen for a few years. I am now back at the beach although further north in Santa Monica. Waves here aren't as good as O.C. but I'll take what I can get! When I found this thread I immediately spent the next few evenings reading through it. Thanks to some great suggestions I am upgrading to brushless and can't wait for the performance upgrade. I plan to move the brushed set up into a spare Kyosho that I found on Craigslist about a year ago. It was a stock setup that was hastily assembled and needed alot of work. The dude was mangled and the board was painted (badly) orange and red. The prop shaft wouldn't spin as it was rusted tight. Over the last couple of months it has been getting a restoration and should be ready to go soon. This one may also get a brushless upgrade in the future. Anyways I just wanted to thank everybody here for reigniting the stoke. Some of the boards you guys are making are awesome. You guys have far more creativity,talent and knowledge than I ever will but its fun to watch and learn from you . I have one question for you all. What is the prop shaft diameter on a Kyosho? I think its' 4mm but want to be sure. I need to get a shaft adapter for my brushless motor with a 5mm shaft . Thanks. .Here's a pic of my two guys.

Name:	Ca81324.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	1798591  
Old 09-04-2012, 08:21 PM
surfcurls
Banned

you are correct. It is 4mm
Old 09-04-2012, 08:41 PM
Hughengland

Hugh's fins feedback

I have used the "winged keel" fin on a nose rider longboard many years ago - no added advantage except more drag....
I also used what I call the "butterfly fin" on surfboard and then windsurf board - they sucked...

Here is my old fin collection nailed to the side of my work shed in Maui - you can see that they are literally growing with lichens over the years

Name:	If10836.jpg
Size:	201.1 KB
ID:	1798605  
Old 09-04-2012, 10:02 PM
YPC

Hi fortune.........welcome back into the Surf....your boards look very well kept.......look forward to sharing the Stoke with you.

Kite... that is very inovative !.......cant wait to see the footage.......

Hugh........That is quite a collection of fins...... I have never ridden a bi - fin ( butterfly fin) on an actual surf board - but - have to say that for myself, the bi-fin works really well on the rc surfer. I find it responds well to turns on the steep face 'holds the board 'onto' the wave face. It does create 'more drag' due to the added surface area and the foils.......

Bro'
Old 09-05-2012, 12:36 PM
kitekook

I'm in Fed Ex Office charging my batteries...

Arrived this morning at 4 am to RAIN! .... in Southern California????

Took a nap...hit Trestles at 830ish ran 4 batteries...looking at the stills (1287) while the batteries charge

Had to share this one:

I love this place!

edit:

Ok..here is another:

So worth the drive up here!

Batteries are charged again...ready to go..I haven't even looked at all the photos yet[&:]

Old 09-05-2012, 04:31 PM
RC HAWAIIAN STYLE

kite

your killing me ,, i wish i could get some waves like that, the waves here we call in inches , an today its 1 to 2 inches

maui no wave john
Old 09-06-2012, 12:13 AM
bearcave

Hey YPC while checking out fins make sure to visit the ******** website for the custom metal fins they were useing... maybe still are.
Old 09-06-2012, 02:04 AM
Hughengland

updates on Hugh's 2 newest boards - identical except bottoms & thickness
Each get a base coat before color artwork begins
All thru hull fittings done, deck seal installed after artwork
Working on girl surfer (figures take ages), she got glassed onto lid today
Gotta build them strong so they can handle large winter waves on Maui one day......

Name:	Ax73125.jpg
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	1798823   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm38260.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	1798824   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq36418.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	1798825  
Old 09-06-2012, 05:06 AM
bearcave

Hughengland.

Nice work.... I don't think anyone has done a Vee versus Flat bottom hull comparisonlike this before.... boards looking good too.

Prettysure i'm not the only one looking forward to your journey.... Thanks for the updates.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:21 AM
kitekook

Hugh...looking good!

Your right about the Surfers taking forever...Last one took me 20+ hours...and I used the head/hair from a previous version.
It is my least favorite part of the custom build....So, I always do it first so I can enjoy building the board

I am sitting in front of Starbucks letting the Coffee soak in...yesterday pooped me out! I decided to return to Cottons for the evening session..so I drag all my gear
there...thought I was going to die...train tracks,...soft sand...pulling the trailer by hand...its further than I remember when Maui took me there the first time...must have been his magnetic personality that made time fly!...anyways I get there start looking around..and I see a sign that says County Line...WHAT! I have seen that sign...,,,so I leave my stff and head back to the van...make much better time with out pulling the trailer...get in my van...drive back to the Cristantos parking lot, get on my bike and 5 minutes later I'm standing at Cottons! .

This bike/trailer setup opens up all the breaks at Trestles...coming in from below is all paved except the last 100 yds or so,,,5 minutes in/out! Takes longer to put the Trailer together and load it than it does to get there...the alternative is a 20-30 minute walk each way...This photo was taken earlier in the day at 'Middles'

Here are some more photos from yesterday:

Heading back there now....getting light and the batteries are charged!

See you in the Surf!
Old 09-06-2012, 07:28 AM
RC HAWAIIAN STYLE

kite

nice bike set up , that must get you down there fast ,

hugh great looking boards ,were going to learn alot about keels and no keels

dom we need more vid to keep us stoked

thanks MJ
Old 09-06-2012, 07:31 PM
kitekook

Hey all!

Where to start?

Made it to 'the' Spot in no time at all...

It turned out to be a beautiful Sunny morning...

If I wasn't ruined by this place...

I am now! This place rocks!

We had company

Wish you were here...heck,wish I was there tomorrow! have to wait until next Wed/Thurs again...
Old 09-06-2012, 07:40 PM
kitekook

Had to cut the day short...still had 2 packs left

Had some equipment failure...

Lost the plastic protector for my antenna...I used plenty of Shoe goo when I installed the receiver...so no problem there

But...

I busted off one of my fins...

Thought it was acting 'funny'

ohh well, gotta travel with spares...time to make Melika her new board! The ultimate spare...Two 'Divas

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.