Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

RC Surfer

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 06:07 PM
Jimi Findrix

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RC Surfer

Hey Gurlzy,

I'm going for my daily wave killing session at "Shipwrecks".
It is a lot of fun, no matter what type of board you run.

Perhaps you should actually go to the beach a bit more often too, ya grovelling wannabe kook.
Don't worry, I will get a couple of nice set waves from the peak just for you. LOL

JIMI
Old 07-19-2012, 09:21 PM
Jimi Findrix

JIMI's Surf Report.

Just got back from "Shippies".
2 to 3 foot and pumpin' on the high tide with light offshore.
Got some really nice size waves, it was awesome.
No closeouts either.
Got one really nice barrel total covered up and made it out clean.
One really nasty wipeout on the left.
Screamed full throttle right across the top of a 3 foot peak and took a late drop, made the takeoff and charged down the line then ploughed nose first straight into the suck rock, board bounced off the nosegaurd.
No damage and no flood.
Southerly started to come in at the end of pack 5 so called it a day.

JIMI
Old 07-19-2012, 09:25 PM
surfcurls
Banned

You Killed This One Too.

I will not tolerate personal attacks on this thread, nor will J.A. Water
Your posts have been reported.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:28 PM
surfcurls
Banned

The Quote Of The Jimi / AKa Kyle Nimmo Ban ...
ORIGINAL: Jimi Findrix

Perhaps you should actually go to the beach a bit more often too, ya grovelling wannabe kook.

That qoute may just make this thread extinct. J.A.W. Warned of Pulling the plug.
Some Never Get it ?
Old 07-19-2012, 09:52 PM
Jimi Findrix

and I told you I don't know anything about MassiveOverkill an his friend so why send me emails saying "I know your behind this"?

Old 07-19-2012, 09:58 PM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Was loving the direction of this thread and hope it will again continue down that path.

Massiveoverkill is encouraged to reconsider future posts here if he wants to remain part of the forum.

Thanks to all who kept their cool. Makes clean up easier - it is appreciated
Old 07-19-2012, 10:20 PM
Jimi Findrix

Justaddwatta,

I will continue to post my pics and stories and try not to call people silly names.

Have a laugh and go get some waves!

JIMI
Old 07-19-2012, 11:08 PM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: Jimi Findrix

Justaddwatta,

I will continue to post my pics and stories and try not to call people silly names.

Have a laugh and go get some waves!

JIMI
Went to the beach a few weeks ago - you dont want to see my pics though!!
Old 07-19-2012, 11:54 PM
YPC

JIMI !......the props have arrived..............Many thanks..........I will spin them this weekend hopefully.
I measure them at 31mm - are they 30mm or 32mm ?

$69 INCLUDING POSTAGE............that is just amazing........................how do they do it ?

The kids reckon although its a very sweet deal, ( give away) they only want YPC Bro'Surfers in our quiver....custom still works out cheaper for us............but I will be sure to share this info with who ever wants a rc surfer for cheap............please let me know what you think of the board and surfer when you receive your order.

Removed the 'New Board' from the oven this morning ( very cold over hear) - needs to be sanded down before applying the Hot Coat.

700mm X 200 X 30 - 460 grams - 2 x layers of 6 oz cloth - required righting weight 1420 grams - I will run the board at 1900 grams as a base. with all the running hardware and complete build I calculated the weight to be 1620grams, so I will need to add another 280 grams into the pod.

I might go for a Leopard 3000 kv motor - 3s set up with this one.

Good 70mm nose rocker -flat bottom - soft rails up front to sharp/hard rails at the tail - Bro' looks very comfy on his new ride......

JIMI - I to love getting down to the beach - its what it is all about - but - building these unique custom boards is a real rush - you have to give it a go - you will love it !..............its very rewarding....................

Dominic ( Bro'Surfer)

PS - lets keep the site going strong............we are almost at page 200

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54073.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	1783802   Click image for larger version

Name:	Om34504.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	1783803   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tq48542.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	1783804   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ax72834.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	1783805   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78296.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	1783806   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47092.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	1783807   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95031.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	1783808   Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33585.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	1783809  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37591.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	1783810  
Old 07-20-2012, 12:52 AM
Jimi Findrix

Wilfrad,

Really diggin' that area pintail man.
Can't wait to see it out rippin'.

Very cool!

JIMI
Old 07-20-2012, 02:46 AM
MassiveOverkill

I'd hate to see this thread closed out as well, so this will be my last post in it. We'll see if this post gets moderated.

RC Hawaiian Style is the only guy who kept his cool, who I made ammends with. Unfortunately that post was deleted showing that.

The other two who attacked me, Surf Curls and KiteKook still have their personal attack posts up, unmoderated. I've reported the one-sided moderation to the administrator and informed him to go ahead and remove my account if he agrees with the the biased moderation.

If you look at the first post I made in this thread, it was simply to post a good deal...........nothing else. Other members turned it into what it became.

FYI, I have no affiliation with Jimi and almost wish he hadn't come to my defense because he doesn't deserve whatever 'consipiracy theorist' attacks some of you made against him. Moderators I really hope you're investigating the personal attack PM's that Jimi mentioned as well.

One good thing came out of this as far as I'm concerned (other than the good deal I posted). Look at the prices of some of the components a certain vendor is charging and look at ANY other respected US vendor that sells that same product and notice the (sorry, it wasn't 50) 90% markup in price. I'm not talking US to China here, I'm talking US Vendor to US Vendor.

Sorry for the drama guys. Have fun

Old 07-20-2012, 02:51 AM
Jimi Findrix

Hey MassiveOverkill,

Welcome to the world of RC Surf

Looks like your friend Aaron will be getting another order from Gero once the first batch arrives.
Cheers mate!

JIMI
Old 07-20-2012, 03:42 AM
Jimi Findrix

While we are all in quoting mode I would like to quote this classic post from,
MASSIVEOVERKILL

ORIGINAL: MassiveOverkill

I'd hate to see this thread closed out as well, so this will be my last post in it. We'll see if this post gets moderated.

RC Hawaiian Style is the only guy who kept his cool, who I made ammends with. Unfortunately that post was deleted showing that.

The other two who attacked me, Surf Curls and KiteKook still have their personal attack posts up, unmoderated. I've reported the one-sided moderation to the administrator and informed him to go ahead and remove my account if he agrees with the the biased moderation.

If you look at the first post I made in this thread, it was simply to post a good deal...........nothing else. Other members turned it into what it became.

FYI, I have no affiliation with Jimi and almost wish he hadn't come to my defense because he doesn't deserve whatever 'consipiracy theorist' attacks some of you made against him. Moderators I really hope you're investigating the personal attack PM's that Jimi mentioned as well.

One good thing came out of this as far as I'm concerned (other than the good deal I posted). Look at the prices of some of the components a certain vendor is charging and look at ANY other respected US vendor that sells that same product and notice the (sorry, it wasn't 50) 90% markup in price. I'm not talking US to China here, I'm talking US Vendor to US Vendor.

Sorry for the drama guys. Have fun
You are cool Dude, you should hang around a while, never know you might end up building an RC surfer.

JIMI Findrix
Geraldton - Western Australia
Old 07-20-2012, 04:21 AM
Jimi Findrix

Hey Crew,

Took my wife and son for a walk along "Shipwrecks" on Sunday arvo.
Came home and the misses started painting.
She has never painted a thing before.

So she started painting "The Peak"
I thought it looked pretty good.

Then yesterday she painted "The Barrel"
I couldn't believe my eyes.

So I took some pics of her paintings to share them with you guys too.
I really like the second one, i reckon it looks awesome.

Name:	Vt56254.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	1783827   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb88614.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	1783828  
Old 07-20-2012, 04:33 AM
YPC

Quotes have been quite "INTERESTING"................

What blows my mind about this 'amazing deal' is the 'overall cost of $69 INCLUDING THE SHIPPING WORLD WIDE

The vendor would be lucky to be Grossing $10 out of the deal shipping it to SA. ($60 based on the carton weight and size shipping calculation)- and he still has to pay the manufacturer for the product........................................... .....I'm stumped.

It would perhaps be an even better idea to get a price on ONLY the Board and Surfer ( No running gear fitted)

Crazy deals like this really do 'blow the current market prices apart' - we all know that there is so much more to a rc Surfer.

There needs to be the consideration of cost to SEA WORTHY and PERFORMANCE ENHANCE the product.

As I mentioned earlier - the cost for someone to upgrade all the running gear would set them back around $200 (cheap HK parts) and the labor in all fairness would be about another 4 hours at least plus incidentals $25/h = $ 120 - so if I was a vendor selling the unit as a "ready to surf' outfit - My cost would be $69 plus $200 plus $120 = $390 mark up 50% = TOTAL $585....................................

The simplest lesson in business economics taught to me by my grandfather, which I believe helped me retire at age 42 was " You cant get MUCH for very LITTLE and you get even less for six pence".

The material to manufacture a full size 6ft short board cost around $125 - boards are sold ranging from $750 - well over $1000....................

The person making the board DESERVES a DECENT LIFE and the person operating the store needs to cover overheads and make a DECENT PROFIT.

If I am ever ready to sell a custom rc surfer - I certainly could not sell one for less that $1000.........................material/hardware cost $350 - 20 hours labor & manufacturing incidentals $ 500 - Leaves me with $150............................................

Regards
Dominic (Bro'Surfer)

Old 07-20-2012, 04:43 AM
Jimi Findrix

Excellent and interesting post Dom.

JIMI
Old 07-20-2012, 05:29 AM
YPC

WOW - they are stunning paintings........the lady has got talent !.........all this time cutting hair /hiding the real talent ..................time to trade the scissors for brushes..............

Hey JIMI - If Bob cant make it..... have the wife do a 'quick portrait painting.........................it would be great to see one of your rc surfers at pages 'on canvas' I hope to see one as a back drop in your photo's soon.

Just got the HOT COAT cured ! -Brings real luster and depth to the resin finish.

For all intensive purposes "Comparing Manufacturing Cost" - besides slapping on the fins and some sanding ( no polishing nowadays) this would be a full scale surf board just about "ready to go" - even though it is a third of the size - the process and bother is much the same. - 5 hours of labor

BUT - its a Custom rc surfboard - So ! Now the real work only begins.......... Glass up the hatch cover - cut out the housing - glass the walls - glass the rim around the hatch cover -manufacture and fit the drive shaft - manufacture and fit the throttle push rod - manufacture and fit the water cooling pick ups and out lets - manufacture and fit the motor mount - fit the motor. manufacture the mountings and install the the steering servo. manufacture the Rudder - fit the rudder pivot bush/tube.Fit the Hatch bolts. Fit seal to the hatch.
Solder the ESC connections and make it water tight............set the weights in the pod for correct CG.......and .......self righting.

Oh Yes ! ....................'quickly make the surfer'.........................and fit him to the hatch cover.......................................LOL

Got to LOVE IT to do it................its a vocation..............not a mere transaction.................Like your wifes paintings JIMI..............Ones very own creations are "Priceless".

Some call them Custom - I like to call them "Functional Art !............every one unique..........no one the same...........

Regards
Dominic (Bro'Surfer)

Name:	Ig13290.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	1783864   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tp46476.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	1783865   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz69563.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	1783866   Click image for larger version

Name:	Au57101.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	1783867   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ep84537.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	1783868  
Old 07-20-2012, 05:52 AM
Jimi Findrix

Thanks for the kind words Dom,
I read what you said about the paintings to her.

And I agree, the custom boards you people build are true functional art and each is very individual and unique.
I am really enjoying watching your rapid progress in this hobby.

JIMI
Old 07-20-2012, 06:30 AM
Jimi Findrix

Hey Crew,

Well, it is back to work at the college for me next week. after a great 2 weeks winter break.
My long days in the sun will be cut back just a little bit.
But, I will still be getting plenty of dawn patrols and sneaking off at lunch for a quick jam at "Pages".
When Bob gets back from his Mentawi adventure there will be plenty more new pics of our weekend sessions to share.

Bigger swell again tomorrow and NNE winds so could possibly end up around "Greys Reef" for some sick peaks.
It might be raining a bit but that never stopped a Dude from surfing now did it?

Go to the beach and carve tracks into some momentary perfection, that is an art too.

JIMI
Old 07-20-2012, 08:23 AM
RC HAWAIIAN STYLE

ypc

you are right, when i tell people that a custom board is 1000,00 plus shipping they say that's allot for a toy, but they are not toys ,it takes me over 50 hours to make one. cost 500.00 in parts ,, that means less than 10.00 an hour, as a Carpenter i make 35.00 an hour you do the math,, i make RC surfers because i love to build ,and research , I am not in it for the money. my wife wishes i had never started building. YPC i think you love to build two, and it shows,, i love your work..

here is a surfer,, i am just finishing for steve

ps jimi shes got talent,

maui john

Name:	Wu59804.jpg
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	1783927   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf13266.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	1783928   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk15500.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	1783929  
Old 07-20-2012, 09:45 AM
Hughengland

Aloha Dom,

I see your newest build and am wondering why you don't have a more gentle transition from bottom deck to bulb keel.
Wouldn't hard transition make board kinda tight & less efficient in turns?

I have not had chance to rc surf for about a month now due to film work - makes my wife happy, as I think she feels I play way too much!
Also Maui is severely lacking waves so far this summer - those Ozzies are hogging them all.
Old 07-20-2012, 01:12 PM
YPC

Hey Maui John - its one of those things............few folk can imagine how much work it takes....... all things that are 'fun' can be called toys - from golf clubs to fancy cars......and **** ! they can cost plenty of money.

The good news is that there are 'some' discerning folk who see what it takes and are willing to make the 'investment' to join in with the pleasure and fun of rc surfing a custom board.
Like you - I am fueled by the LOVE of it......................."Blessed is the man who works/creates with his hands...."

I have a few guys waiting patiently for myself to build them there very own Custom Board for $1000 - I am just not yet happy with the overall build and set up........getting closer every build.......but not quite there yet............

Hey - its pretty cool to be a part of a unique handful of guys from around the world who Custom build these works of 'functional art'.............

Hey Hugh !............welcome back !.......missed you great pictures.

About the pod ?.......interesting question !..all my pod boards have a similar pod transition and it seems to work ok......good tight turns...good tracking.... ..most 'keels' I have seen ( yaughts - wind surfers etc. have a tight transition from the hull to the keel - a softer transition ( bigger radius/greater slope) would generate more LIFT......
I imagine that the tighter transition could help in tracking the turn...........I would think a more gentle/softer transition would perhaps be more inclined to lift up and out of the water, especially in a tight turn........ possibly sliding.........almost like a V hull acts in a way...........just thoughts.

Whats your take ? What have you guys found ? Would you be able to share a few pics of your pod set up - I have not seen any others 'close up' to be able to compare.

Name:	Yw67237.jpg
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	1784007   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je99746.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	1784008   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va72355.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	133.2 KB
ID:	1784009  
Old 07-20-2012, 09:25 PM
Jimi Findrix

Jimi's Surf Report

After driving around all my favourite spots this morning ended up running 8 packs at 2 to 3 foot "Shipwrecks" again today.
Strong NE wind was making it a bit bumpy and hard work.
Nowhere near as good as the last few days but still quite surfable and there were some big sets coming through every now and then.
No breakdowns.
Pity about the wind.

JIMI

Old 07-21-2012, 01:34 AM
YPC

Hey JIMI - lucky for you................I do hope two packs had my name on them.

If the weather carries on Howling and Raining as it has been over the past week .....I'll have to put my packs on a DISCHARGE Cycle LOL......................they are like Olympic athletes with 'no where to expend their energy.............. Totally AMPED !

Anyways - I have ordered a Leopard 3650 -2940 kv motor and a few 3S 5800 mAh packs for my new build...........it will be interesting to compare the performance between the boards.

Logically - the 3S should give me at least 35% more run time if the overall drag ( watts required) is kept much the same.

The flat bottom/bigger surface area should make the amp draw lighter on the motor as well......................keen to see.

Shred E'm

Dominic ( Bro'Surfer)
Old 07-21-2012, 02:37 AM
YPC

JIMI - sit down - whilst you are charging your depleted battery packs...................its question time again.........

Do you run two separate water cooling inlets for the motor and ESC - or do you have one inlet feeding the ESC and then the motor ?

I'll wait on your response.............LOL

WILFRAD.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.