Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

What is a good electric retreival/push boat?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

What is a good electric retreival/push boat?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 03:37 PM
yannicksjh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is a good electric retreival/push boat?

Hi, being new to rc nitro boats but not new to nitro engines i know that they sometimes stall out for some reason or another. Not to mention flip overs, loss of prop, hit something and any other reason your boat might get stuck out on the water. So if your out on the lake or pond how does everybody retreive their boats? I'm sure a paddle boat and canoe is probly the most common but what are other methods? I do have real boat if it does get stuck out far on the lake and will probly use the fishing line method on the pond (or just let eventually drift to shore) but i think i also like the idea of a electric retreival boat. From what i saw on you tube it seem like a descent method (even if if might take a little patience). So my question is, what would be a descent priced electric boat that has descent power and good meneouvrability to puch the other boat back to shore? I will be using a blackjack 26 ss and a thundercat 31 (there in the mail on the way!) . I don't want to spend a fortune since i would rather sink the money in the other boats. Probly something that uses 7.2 volt batteries since i have tons of those already. Maybe a traxxas villain or rio? thanks
Old 03-31-2010, 07:08 PM
dicko

Default RE: What is a good electric retreival/push boat?

The aquacraft hammer ep is what I use.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	By76320.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	1408686  
Old 03-31-2010, 08:21 PM
yannicksjh

Nice set up you got going there! Its pretty much what i had in mind with a boat with about the same specs ( i looked up the hammer ep specs ). Does it work pretty good? thanks
Old 04-01-2010, 03:21 AM
dicko

stock it worked well, but I added an extra rudder (twins rudders from the nitro hammer), and replace the 2 blade stock prop for a 3 blade prop that I modded to fit (stock SV27 prop with rounded ears) and it goes even better.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:47 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

My advice, skip the retrieve boat and get yourself a 2-man inflatable rowboat. If the boat is upside down, partially submerged or hung up in weeds, the retrieve boat won't do you a whole lot of good. Deflated, they don't take up much room at all. Wal-mart has them for around $20.00, a pair of oars for under $10.00 and get an inflator for maybe another $10.00. They inflate quickly lakeside, usually in less time that it takes me to unload everything else.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:14 AM
yannicksjh

Hi, you know what Ron, you might be right. Plus i already have one. I guess what's the point of having a retreival boat, a fishing rod and a inflable when really the inflatable is the only one that will save in in all situations. The first two are only if it stalls or breaks down. As you mentionned, if its stuck or sinking, you need to go get it manually. thanks
Old 04-01-2010, 07:56 PM
bigrc12

Hey guys that is one nice set-up. I was just wondering where you get that plastic piping with all of those t-fitting to make the catch basin. I also want to use those same pipes to make boat stands but cant seem to find a supplier. Im up in toronto canada but im sure that they are available somwhere here. Are they from an electrical supply store? any help with sourcing this material would be greatly appreciated as it is soo perfect for this application.
thanks
Old 04-01-2010, 08:09 PM
yannicksjh

Hi, the white pipe is white 3/4" pvc available in the plumbing section at most hardware stores (like rona, home depot). They come in 'T', 90deg elbows, 45deg elbows, caps, reducers, couplings etc. pretty cheap too.