Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

***Help Wanted RC Boat Gas***

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

***Help Wanted RC Boat Gas***

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 07:48 AM
exotica

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ***Help Wanted RC Boat Gas***

Hi there, I am new to this forum and would like to ask you all for some help in the purchase of my first RC Gas Boat 26cc.

The hull will be a fiberglass one running a 26cc motor something like the ones pictured below. Approx 1230mm x 610mm x 270mm.
Total weight will be around 7.5kg. I have seen a few different motors with either side or top mount spark plugs.
Can someone please explain what are the differences between the both on them?

I am also having trouble finding out horsepower figures for these types ofmotors as they seem to vary quite a great deal.

What I would like to end up withis a boat that will run between 45-55mph, be reliable and fun to drive. Which of the two hulls
pictured below would be a better choice for speed and handling?

I would like some info on what I will need to get me to these speeds as far as motor and prop configuration is concerned
and what I should be looking at for before I part with my money. I have read that some of these chinese motors are not
that great and wont do these speeds reagardless of what prop is used, so im here now asking for some advice and help
from you guys that already have these very fun looking boats.

Thanks in advance.

Old 06-06-2010, 03:48 PM
joseywales

Default RE: ***Help Wanted RC Boat Gas***

junk both of them.. try 35-40 mhp on them.
Old 06-06-2010, 06:32 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

I would have to agree, especially on the hydro. If you want a hydro that will work well, you might want to contact the guys at this site:
www.PNWTA.org
I know there is one of the members that has molds for a turbine hydro based on the 1999 Elam Plus that looks really good. Add a RCMK with the exhaust over the output shaft, the running gear and radio and youre good to go
Old 06-07-2010, 08:36 AM
joseywales

The price on just the hull is 700.00 that 50" long too. Going to start saving my pennys for it. lol. Get a RCMK for 300.00. Has 5.2 hp out of the box power.
Old 06-07-2010, 08:40 AM
exotica

...let say for giggles i buy the hydro hull pictured above and installed a RCMK motor what kinda speeds would i be looking at.

can someone also help me out here wth a prop to suit the RCMK motor?
Old 06-07-2010, 10:13 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

If you're talking the one you posted, I wouldn't take it past 60KPH as the layup is that thin. When you consider the boat is a Pro Boat knock off, I wouldn't trust it for any more than that without either a hull failure or a blow over
Old 06-07-2010, 10:17 AM
exotica

...im considering buying the hull only and making some changes to it to strengthen it up. Then install some good hardware and the RCMK motor. Ide be happy if i could get it to go upto 75kph top speed and put around on the lake between 50-60kph.

Old 06-07-2010, 11:09 AM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You really are better to start with a good foundation rather than trying to strengthen a weak one. Many key areas of the hull you will not be able to access without splitting the hull at the seam. Also the design is probably not something that has seen speeds and power your looking to install. Hydros are really picky with weight distribution.

You might be able to make it work - but it will be some work and no guarantee of a positive result.

There are some corners that can be cut - but your hull is not really one of them.

You should touch base with Tony Grinter (Hobby Supplies - Melbourne) or George (Hobbydepot.com.au - Sydney) and see what options they can offer you. Both are great guys and they will be happy to help you in the right direction
Old 06-07-2010, 03:48 PM
joseywales

the Chinese layup on there hulls isnt the greatest. Hulls in these country's like the US CAN UK AU and Germany does a really good job on laying up there hulls. They take quality workmenship on there hulls compared to Chinese and Asia that rush/slap there hulls together. As the old saying goes, you get what you'd payed for.
Old 06-07-2010, 06:38 PM
exotica

Tony Grinter have a web site?
Old 06-07-2010, 07:53 PM
HendricX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're not the smartest one arround ..... http://www.hobbysupplies.com.au/
Old 06-07-2010, 09:19 PM
exotica

...found it thanks for the link anyway.
Old 06-08-2010, 02:43 AM
apache 56

ORIGINAL: exotica

...im considering buying the hull only and making some changes to it to strengthen it up. Then install some good hardware and the RCMK motor. Ide be happy if i could get it to go upto 75kph top speed and put around on the lake between 50-60kph.

you want a hydro or a cat and you only want to go 50 to 60 kph...?????? are you mad,,, mate have you seen how slow 50 kph is in a boat belave me mate after 1 min you will be bord sh##less with it . mate dont kid yourself , if your going to go and buy a good rcmk motor do your self a favore and place it into a hull that will perform for what you want.... ,

but if its a case of you already have perchased that hull , well best of luck with it ......
if i was you stay well clear of those boats with the weed wacker motors and there clames of speed . and depending with you and your budget and style of hull your after go and talk to the guys on this forum that know there stuff and mate you will save yourself some money in the end and you will have more fun then you ever will with one of those POS , BOATS....

there are really good hobby shops in australia that will sell you a realy good product and then theres the fleebag flee market (ebay) that will sell you anything and at over inflated prices..... these shops get these hulls for about $245. as dollars or less ,,, then clame there worth a lot more well mate there not..... idd perfer to spend money one somthing that will work and last......
Old 06-08-2010, 03:03 AM
exotica

...thanks for the advice Apache, im starting to look closer now at the Arrow Shark Negotiator, X-Hydro, Fighter and Tsunami. It appears they are a good buy with the new 2010 update XP254M motor. I also read that these are not that great either from some but others say they are great....confused!!!
Old 06-08-2010, 03:18 AM
apache 56

ORIGINAL: exotica

...thanks for the advice Apache, im starting to look closer now at the Arrow Shark Negotiator, X-Hydro, Fighter and Tsunami. It appears they are a good buy with the new 2010 update XP254M motor. I also read that these are not that great either from some but others say they are great....confused!!!
mate realy hang of as long as you can and have a chat to some boat guys or if there is a boat club near you go dow nand see some running ... arrow shark will also sell you eny thing but not want to know you once perched.... and some of there pricing is way over board... defantly shop around.. depending where you live....
if you can try to find a AMPBA club near you and go and see. some club runn there boats ....
once you start looking into it you will realy start to find good gear...
if i was getting a n arrow shark hull idd only get the hull and idd look at powering it with a real zenoah stock or mod . depending on budget or and rcmk......
..... getting a good motor that lasts is the best investment...

a nother good cheep starter hull is the falcon cat , great hull cheep pricing and you can realy have some funn once you get it set up .....or check out rcmks web site . for some good looking different hulls. realy depends what hull you like ... ??mono, hydro , cat etc???..... or to put togeather your self or buy rtr...(putting one together will always save you $$$$$...
rtr can somtimes mean Ready To Rip you off...

Old 06-08-2010, 03:36 AM
dicko

Get onto the AMPBA website & talk to the guys from the melbourne club to find out where & when they run. They'll help get you sorted out.