Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

lacking power - prather funcruiser

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

lacking power - prather funcruiser

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 08:37 AM
mhl1999

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lacking power - prather funcruiser

Hi there
I'm new here. I have a Prather Funcruiser Homelite 30 with a modified watercooled cylinder and modified card with free air-intake. I use regular gaz octane 95 with 2 % oil. I can't seem get it pulling right. It looses power very quickly. On the carb is a screw marked "L" and a screw marked "H".

Do anyone have a suggestion to what is wrong

Thank you!
MHL
Old 06-30-2010, 12:38 PM
cheesewizz69

Default RE: lacking power - prather funcruiser

ORIGINAL: mhl1999

Hi there
I'm new here. I have a Prather Funcruiser Homelite 30 with a modified watercooled cylinder and modified card with free air-intake. I use regular gaz octane 95 with 2 % oil. I can't seem get it pulling right. It looses power very quickly. On the carb is a screw marked ''L'' and a screw marked ''H''.

Do anyone have a suggestion to what is wrong

Thank you!
[img][/img]MHL

A couple of things I'm concerened about in your post.

First you don't have enough oil in the mix. I would sugest at least 8 ounces to each US gallon.
Second the octane ratings may be computed diffrent in Denmark compared to the US but higher octane fuel is not needed with this engine.

Now best I can remember the carb settings should be 2.5 turns out on the High and 1.5 out on the Low

Not knowing the condition of the carb. I would start by taking it off the engine and rebuilding it. The rebuild kits are fairly cheap and easy to work with.

Hope this helps,
Leo
Old 06-30-2010, 02:03 PM
Dan S

agree with cheese,

because its not a modified engine, you could go to 6oz to a gallon but not less (I run 8oz).
87 Octane would be fine also unless it has ethanol in the fuel, than stick with 95.

and the "H" on the carb stands for High Speed Needle and the "L" is your Low Speed Needle.

Dan.
Old 06-30-2010, 03:44 PM
mhl1999

Hi there again
Thx for your advices - I'll try to adjust high and low needles and add a little more oil to low octane fuel. Hope it works. I have a few spare parts to the carb and will try to look it over.
ThanksMHL
Old 06-30-2010, 04:51 PM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Over here in the UK, if you buy petrol from the garage pump, you get 95 octane as standard.  The same in the other bits of the EU that I've seen.  Its also sold in litres, so a % figure or ratio would be helpful.  Does 8oz to 1USG work out to 1:16 or about 6.25%?  87 octane is something I remember from back in the '60s, and was known as "commercial", but I can't remember when I last saw it.
Old 06-30-2010, 05:16 PM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

16:1 is what I run (kinda rhymes )