Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

nitro boat motor brake in

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

nitro boat motor brake in

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 10:20 PM
superflyboy1988

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default nitro boat motor brake in

I just got a new nitro boat can any one tell me the proper way to brake in this motor
Old 08-03-2010, 08:00 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: nitro boat motor brake in

Oh boy, this is a subject where you can get a lot of ways to do it.
Do it in the water, not on dry land. Run it rich with the fuel that you plan on using all of the time. Go full throttle when going straight then make the turns slowly to heat-cycle the engine. After a few tankfuls then start leaning the carb.

Now, for some other ways....................
Old 08-03-2010, 10:33 AM
Hydro Rob

Bench breaking is ok as long as you have water flow for the first tank or two. I add BEnol to every tank durring break in. 1-2 oz a tankful.
Old 08-03-2010, 01:44 PM
Russ Williamson

Ron's method works very, very well for all r/c nitro applications. Run the engine with a load (in the water), needle setting on the rich side, but not too rich, then each tank start leaning her out little.

Have fun!

Russ

ORIGINAL: Ron Olson

Oh boy, this is a subject where you can get a lot of ways to do it.
Do it in the water, not on dry land. Run it rich with the fuel that you plan on using all of the time. Go full throttle when going straight then make the turns slowly to heat-cycle the engine. After a few tankfuls then start leaning the carb.

Now, for some other ways....................
Old 08-03-2010, 03:22 PM
Blackout

ORIGINAL: Hydro Rob

Bench breaking is ok as long as you have water flow for the first tank or two. I add BEnol to every tank durring break in. 1-2 oz a tankful.
Not sure if some motors are different, but when bench running my O.S. 46, the head temps did not rise over 135 degrees with no water. Running an engine too cool is not good either, as most engines want the sleeve to expand a bit with heat.

Personally, I would just do what Ron says. Run rich in the water and vary throttle a bit.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:17 PM
amax

Yea that's a really good Idea, just throw it in the water and Gas It right from the get go, You can buy more parts when it breaks.

Ron I normally agree with most the advice you give people but This One I Gotta Say is Bad Advice.

There are a number of different ways to break an engine in and everybody will say there's is the best,,LOL.
The key to Break In is "Heat Cycling" which is like it sounds, Get the engine warmed up then cool it down so all the moving parts "Expand" when they get "HOT" and "Contract" when Cooled. This lets the parts Ware Together in short Spurts.
If the engine Is Real Rich it Doesn't get Hot at all, and it can cause even bigger problems in extreme cases like Rods Bending and Breaking from Hydrolocking.
This first thing I recommend is getting an infrared temp gage so you know How Hot your engine is getting. Most Nitro engines run Best\Dial In somewhere between 150*F and 190*F.
Nitro Fuel Cools your engine when it flows through it, the more fuel that goes through the cooler it gets(AKA Rich). As you Lean the engine the temp rises.
R\C Nitro Engines don't have rings on the piston like a typical full size engine, the Sleeve Tapers in at the Top and the Piston Wedges into it to create a seal, during Break In these two parts are beat together until they fit perfectly at TDC and the engine turns over smoothly.

I prefer to do the first 3 tanks On Dry Land with a water supply hooked up to the boat\engine so I can lean the engine with No Load on it and let it warm up. You can do this In the boat or on a Stand with a simple water supply something like this.

1st tank I use vice grips to pinch the water supply line to restrict water flow down to a slow trickle, start the engine and keep it at a Fast Idle, Blipping the throttle to 1\4 occasionally. Let it run a minute or two and check temp at the glow plug while it's running. Adjust the High Speed Needle(HSN) to get the Temp around 110*F. Then completely restrict water flow and Watch the Temp Closely. It should start rising, when it gets to 150*F start the Trickle of water again and cool it. Repeat this until the end of tank one.

Tank 2 do the same way but gradually increase max temp before cooling as you go, lean the HSN if needed to increase temp.

Tank 3 is the same just make your Max Temp around 190*F and try not to cool it below 150*F so it stays in Operating Temp Range the entire tank. As you get to the end of the last tank make sure you Richen the HSN so that the engine is just A Little Sluggish when revving it(NEVER GO Above 1\4 throttle out of the water) if you don't it Will be To Lean and Die when you toss it on the pond .

This method has saved me A Lot of frustration during break in because I don't spend A Lot of time Retrieving my Dead boat off the pond, and when I do get to the pond It's Ready to run Full Throttle and start Dialing It In.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:02 PM
Blackout

ORIGINAL: amax

Yea that's a really good Idea, just throw it in the water and Gas It right from the get go, You can buy more parts when it breaks.

Ron I normally agree with most the advice you give people but This One I Gotta Say is Bad Advice.

There are a number of different ways to break an engine in and everybody will say there's is the best,,LOL.
The key to Break In is ''Heat Cycling'' which is like it sounds, Get the engine warmed up then cool it down so all the moving parts ''Expand'' when they get ''HOT'' and ''Contract'' when Cooled. This lets the parts Ware Together in short Spurts.
If the engine Is Real Rich it Doesn't get Hot at all, and it can cause even bigger problems in extreme cases like Rods Bending and Breaking from Hydrolocking.
This first thing I recommend is getting an infrared temp gage so you know How Hot your engine is getting. Most Nitro engines run Best\Dial In somewhere between 150*F and 190*F.
Nitro Fuel Cools your engine when it flows through it, the more fuel that goes through the cooler it gets(AKA Rich). As you Lean the engine the temp rises.
R\C Nitro Engines don't have rings on the piston like a typical full size engine, the Sleeve Tapers in at the Top and the Piston Wedges into it to create a seal, during Break In these two parts are beat together until they fit perfectly at TDC and the engine turns over smoothly.

I prefer to do the first 3 tanks On Dry Land with a water supply hooked up to the boat\engine so I can lean the engine with No Load on it and let it warm up. You can do this In the boat or on a Stand with a simple water supply something like this.

1st tank I use vice grips to pinch the water supply line to restrict water flow down to a slow trickle, start the engine and keep it at a Fast Idle, Blipping the throttle to 1\4 occasionally. Let it run a minute or two and check temp at the glow plug while it's running. Adjust the High Speed Needle(HSN) to get the Temp around 110*F. Then completely restrict water flow and Watch the Temp Closely. It should start rising, when it gets to 150*F start the Trickle of water again and cool it. Repeat this until the end of tank one.

Tank 2 do the same way but gradually increase max temp before cooling as you go, lean the HSN if needed to increase temp.

Tank 3 is the same just make your Max Temp around 190*F and try not to cool it below 150*F so it stays in Operating Temp Range the entire tank. As you get to the end of the last tank make sure you Richen the HSN so that the engine is just A Little Sluggish when revving it(NEVER GO Above 1\4 throttle out of the water) if you don't it Will be To Lean and Die when you toss it on the pond .

This method has saved me A Lot of frustration during break in because I don't spend A Lot of time Retrieving my Dead boat off the pond, and when I do get to the pond It's Ready to run Full Throttle and start Dialing It In.
I tried this method on my O.S., and for what ever reason, I could not get the temps above 135 degrees even with no water. I figured the engine needed a load to get up to temp. When I threw the boat in the water, with cooling lines operational, the temps went up over 150 degrees. I'll have to try this heat cycling thing again.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:36 PM
amax

With No load on the engine and a good Fast Idle, I lean the HSN 1\4 turn at a time until it starts to warm up. Air temp will have a big affect on it also, the cooler it is the slower the engine will warm up.
What works for me may not work exactly the same for others, during the cooler months here in FL. the final temps will be a bit lower but the results are the same.

When I do get one to the pond the first few tanks are still break in tanks, you never get an engine fully broke in until it runs with a load on it and gets up to operating temp for a bit. I just prefer to do the most aggravating ones On the stand instead of the pond, that way I have more control of the engine temp and less urge to Gas It. I'm working on mounting a Plane prop to my Stand set up so I can do it with a load on it after the first couple tanks.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:49 PM
Ron Olson

Amax, this is why I realized that most people have their own way of breaking in engines and why I gave my way of doing things. This was the way that I was taught way back when so that's why I do it this way. That was also in an era when some people used a mixture of oil, toothpaste and their own secret sauce as a polishing compound to help the break-in process..
This is just one of those threads where if you ask 100 people how they do it, you might get 100 different answers.
Old 08-04-2010, 02:06 AM
boatnut

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Whats a tank full; ? what size tank for what size engine? How many oz. ?
This can leave a lot of leway on breakin time.l

Having this much fun must be illegal
Old 08-04-2010, 08:06 AM
amax

I Hear Ya Ron, I was just surprised you said Go Full Throttle right from the start, No work your way up or anything. I'm gonna take a guess and say that was Before RTR Boats, and when Most people running a R\C boat were part of a club, and had a few Experienced Tuners around to help ya out. Pre Polishing an engine will make a Big Difference in break in procedure, No Doubt.
The thing that surprises me most is the lack of Break In Fuels with No Synthetic Oils in them, or even a mention of it.

Boatnut your right it does leave a bit of leway but it's the easiest way to approximate how long it's ran without using a stop watch and totaling up your run times. How long you break one in isn't AS important as Heat Cycling it. I have done it on the stand in 3 tanks and hit the pond full throttle with no worries, but I've done it 100 times, and I'm not gonna tell a Newbie that's asking How To Break one in to do it that way.
Part of the Break in process Is Learning how to Tune the engine and handle the boat.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:49 AM
Ron Olson

Full throttle on a slobbering rich setting isn't going to give you full speed or max RPM as it should be spitting out a lot of unburned fuel and oil. Running it in the water gives the engine a load that you won't get on a test stand or in the hull onshore.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:10 AM
res3567

Read thispart of this threadon my journey to breaking in my engine and post #1280...a combo of what Ron and Amaxare saying...which means they are both right....ANDI DON'T RECOMEND YOU DO THIS THE WAYI DID EITHER.... I was very lucky, however, ran mine full tilt boogie today.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_56...page_52/tm.htm#

Old 08-05-2010, 01:57 PM
superflyboy1988

OK THANKS FOR ALL THE INFO BUT WHAT KINDA FUEL DO YOU USE FOR BAKING IN
Old 08-05-2010, 10:28 PM
Ron Olson

Use what you plan on using all of the time when possible, you don't need to buy the break-in fuel sold by some companies.
Old 08-06-2010, 07:59 PM
superflyboy1988

i plan on using odonnell 50% do you thank this will be good
Old 08-06-2010, 10:37 PM
Ron Olson

I couldn't tell you as we don't know what you're breaking in. Call me crazy (like it hasn't been done before!) but I run 65% nitro most of the time in all of my nitro burners. I do have a gallon of 50% O'Donnell's but haven't tried it yet.
Old 09-09-2010, 05:29 PM
FlogginHarvey

I have 50% Odonnell fuel for my rossi 90 (never been run) and keep hearing mixed opions on adding Castor Oil or not...I was told by two people that raced larger nitor marine that it is not necessary. I am NOT racing...just sport boating and burning fuel.

What gives?

If I do need it, what is the mix ratio for this stuff???
Old 09-10-2010, 01:46 AM
boatnut

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good on ya AMAX
I like your idea of a prop setup.
It could be done with a flex or hardshaft driven through an old strut
using a drive dog setup to adapt to a airplane prop of a correct
size , this would load the engine for a proper breakin without
having to go to the pond an go through multiple runs.
You could change props to setup for different loads.
This way anyone can use thier own ,mixture, temp procedure

Having this much fun must be illegal