Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Some basic questions...

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 03:57 PM
Igoslow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some basic questions...

Hello there, im all new to rc hobbies, and i have some questions. Some may seem stupied, but I haven never been in contact with this hobbie before,and noone to ask for guidiance. Well anyway....

You start your car with a glower... how does it work? Do you just put the glower on the glowpin for a few minutes? Do every glower work for every pin?

How do you turn of the car, is there a on/off switch on the radio?

Do you use only a batterie on the reciver, or also on gas/brake and steering servo?

Do some starterboxes work for specific cars only?

Why do you use those instead of standard batteries?
http://shop.strato.de/epages/6245467...es/Akkus/Lipos
Old 09-29-2010, 04:26 PM
Lars from Norway

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Some basic questions...

Tjena!

Yes, you just plug the glower on for a few seconds, pull the pullstart and then you basically can remowe the glower immediately, or when the engine has been running for a few seconds. A glower is a glover so to say

There is a switch on the radio, and sometimes on the car, but i prefer to just use the battery directly on the receiver.

The radio receiver in the car requires power, and it is also powering the servos.

A starterbox is more or less universal (may vary some in strength for larger or smaller engines) not all cars have the flywheel through the chassie plate, meaning that you can't use a starterbox on them

Do you mean battery packs instead of several AA-batteries?
Old 09-30-2010, 02:38 AM
Igoslow

ORIGINAL: Lars from Norway

Tjena!

Yes, you just plug the glower on for a few seconds, pull the pullstart and then you basically can remowe the glower immediately, or when the engine has been running for a few seconds. A glower is a glover so to say

There is a switch on the radio, and sometimes on the car, but i prefer to just use the battery directly on the receiver.

The radio receiver in the car requires power, and it is also powering the servos.

A starterbox is more or less universal (may vary some in strength for larger or smaller engines) not all cars have the flywheel through the chassie plate, meaning that you can't use a starterbox on them

Do you mean battery packs instead of several AA-batteries?

Thanks for the anserws!
Yes the battery packs, how can they be so expensive? Why not just regular aa batteries, that you can reload?
I guess you reload the battery packs, what type of loader do you use?
Old 09-30-2010, 06:00 AM
Lars from Norway

Well, using these AA-batteries in a holder for 4 batteries i find unsafe as the batteries can fall out and loose contact. It is also much more practical to recharge a batterypack instead of 4 individual batteries, which due to their voltage on 1,2 volt only gives 4,8 volt to the receiver, but a battery pack contaning 5 batteries -or cells- give 6 volt. I don't think that 2-300 kr for a battery pack is that expensive either. This summer i bought a battery pack at the cost of 1100 kr if that shocks you But that is another story.

For charging the battery pack i use a computer charger, these costs from 4-500 kr, but you can get cheaper ones that you simply plug in the wall and in the battery.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:54 AM
Igoslow

ORIGINAL: Lars from Norway

Well, using these AA-batteries in a holder for 4 batteries i find unsafe as the batteries can fall out and loose contact. It is also much more practical to recharge a batterypack instead of 4 individual batteries, which due to their voltage on 1,2 volt only gives 4,8 volt to the receiver, but a battery pack contaning 5 batteries -or cells- give 6 volt. I don't think that 2-300 kr for a battery pack is that expensive either. This summer i bought a battery pack at the cost of 1100 kr if that shocks you But that is another story.

For charging the battery pack i use a computer charger, these costs from 4-500 kr, but you can get cheaper ones that you simply plug in the wall and in the battery.
oh ok

How do i know if i can use it, is there different outputs?

Old 09-30-2010, 11:17 AM
Lars from Norway

Do you mean on the charger or the battery?
Old 09-30-2010, 11:44 AM
Igoslow

Battery, how do i know the battery fits to my transmitor when i buy one, same thing to radio and startbox?

And what does it mean if a loader is 12/220 v?
Old 09-30-2010, 02:54 PM
Lars from Norway

The connectors on the battery pack for transmittors are often similar to servo connectors, but they only have two wires instead of three. Depends maybe a bit which radio you choose, not all radios have this option to choose between AA and battery packs.

A charger (yes, it is called charger ) which is listed as 12/230 v means that you can use it both on your car battery while you are out driving or at home in the wall socket.