Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

New or Used

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 04:32 PM
[email protected]

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New or Used

Hey guys looking to buy a new MT im torn between two trucks. My question is should i buy new or used? What are some of your experiences?
Old 08-09-2011, 04:34 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: New or Used

I generally buy new unless I'm very sure of how the previous owner treated and maintained the truck.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:58 PM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If its nitro, ALWAYS count on buying a new engine for it. Different people have VERY different definitions of 'compression', and the buyer often ends up with an engine that needs rebuilding or replacement. That said, Used is fine, as long as the car isn't too abused. "Needs tlc" can mean anything from "needs a $4 part" to "needs a complete overhaul, bearing kit, and electronics". Don't trust someone when they say electronics are untested either, it usually means they dont work. Aftermarket parts do not necessarily increase the value of the car, especially if its Integy aluminum. Cleanliness is a good sign. Personally, I would tell you to buy new, but sometimes you come across a nice used car at a great deal.
Old 08-09-2011, 06:25 PM
rcslsafut

i have to agree , ALMOST ALWAYS !!! the engine is going to be toast !!
so just count on that in the price if your going to buy used .
i cant tell you how many thousands of times i have seen ; " its only had one gallon through it "
ya right !!!
so just look at it as if you have to buy a engine/and the truck (not to mention other items )
or the price of new ???? (which is usually close to the price of an engine and a used truck)
YOUR DECISION ???????
Old 08-09-2011, 06:40 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

ThunderbirdJunkie is generally comfortable buying a used nitro from somebody he knows well and knows will properly treat an engine. ThunderbirdJunkie himself would have no problem selling a first-timer one of his nitros simply because he KNOWS the car/truck is going to be solid and ready to rock...HOWEVER unless he knows the guy selling it, ThunderbirdJunkie would NEVER recommend a newbie buy a used truck.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:53 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not counting engine's I've bought some royally messed up used RC's

HPI MT1 I think it was stored in a shed in winter for a few years cause every plastic piece was insanely brittle. Was sold as great running condition (BTW motor was shot)
Slash 4X4 every screw was rusted, rear bulkhead was cracked, and a few other parts were trashed.
Jammin X1 CRT dude had clay in the diffs, and red loctite on every damn screw.
No big deal to me seeing I love working on stuff, and have the know how to get it running, but to a new person or someone not mechanically inclined it would be extremely frustrating. Also new people don't know the value of the used RC, and tend to over bid, and get ripped off that way too.

If you are new I'd recommend a new RC so you know what condition it is in. When you buy used its a crap shoot sometimes you score big, but most times you don't. Kinda like going to a used car lot that is ran by a guy that uses "Honest" in his name, chances are you are getting a lemon.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:32 PM
LAXKing47
Banned

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

ThunderbirdJunkie is generally comfortable buying a used nitro from somebody he knows well and knows will properly treat an engine. ThunderbirdJunkie himself would have no problem selling a first-timer one of his nitros simply because he KNOWS the car/truck is going to be solid and ready to rock...HOWEVER unless he knows the guy selling it, ThunderbirdJunkie would NEVER recommend a newbie buy a used truck.
why do you always talk in 3rd person.I like reading your posts but everytime i see "thunder bird junkie thinks" i jjust go ive read this quote to many times and stop reading it
Old 08-09-2011, 09:47 PM
Ttam Says Blarg

I have no problem with used. I got my rc18b for 25 dollars. Its all about keeping an eye for what people already said.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:43 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: LAXKing47

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

why do you always talk in 3rd person.I like reading your posts but everytime i see ''thunder bird junkie thinks'' i jjust go ive read this quote to many times and stop reading it
Every time ThunderbirdJunkie sees "Why do you always..." he stops reading.
Old 08-10-2011, 02:02 AM
My Feedback: (4)

I bought my NTC3 used. It ran right out of the box...in thirty second spurts. Dropped my 18 CV-RX in and all was fine, the chassis was immaculate and functions wonderfully.
Old 08-13-2011, 01:36 PM
[email protected]

Well thanks everyone for the responses. Im working on a friends car and its rather time consuming and at times a little frustrating. So with that being the case I decided to buy new. I bought a new savage x 4.6 today from tower hobbies should be here wednesday or thursday. I like tinkering but still being a noob and not always knowing what has been done to the engine beforehand, I dont want to get something Im gonna have to dump more money into right away. I had a tight budget so with tower hobbies 20$ off it put me right around my budget. Ive had a hard time choose which to get but I love the look of the truck and have heard great things about them. Ill be sure to keep everyone posted on how it goes.
Old 08-13-2011, 03:38 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

savage X is a good truck
if you have a temp gun get it upto 230ish degrees during the break in. The engine I had was set too rich from the factory, and wasn't even getting over 180.
Old 08-13-2011, 04:32 PM
hands without shadows

First time; always buy new. When the gear mesh isn't perfect you will probably be asking how to fix it. Then where to buy new steering links, etc. Its ok and its a learning process.

Buy used and you will have 17 random problems and no experience.
Old 08-13-2011, 04:40 PM
[email protected]

I do have a temp guage and Ill keep that in mind. Im sure Ill have plenty more questions along the way. Im actually looking for some parts for the redcat as we speak. My son had a little accident! No major damage just need some replacement parts. Ill probably do some performance upgrades on the savage later on down the road. Not really wanting a self queen. Nothing wrong with it but Im more of a speed freak if ya know what I mean. I want it to go fast and have lots of power. I also know I need to take my time and work my way up as well.