Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Spektrum DX2S to DX3S conversion project

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Spektrum DX2S to DX3S conversion project

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 09:47 AM
red_guy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spektrum DX2S to DX3S conversion project

Hello,

I recently saw a video showing how to convert a Spektrum DX2 to a DX3 by just changing the configuration for the resistors which indicate the hardware variant (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eecLs...eature=related) and I figured that the same thing might be possible for the DX2S radios.

The problem is that I do not have access to a DX3S electronic for comparison and I can not open my DX2S because I will void the warranty.

Has anybody opened up their DX2S and DX3S radios?
If yes then is it possible to make some really high resolution photos (scanning the PCB is even better) of both PCB sides for a DX2S and a DX3S radio so I can compare them?

If conversion seems possible then I want to upgrade my radio and see how it works.

Thank you,
Red
Old 09-20-2011, 10:42 AM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Spektrum DX2S to DX3S conversion project

This only worked with the dx2.0, not dx2s. And even then... it only worked with the very early dx2.0. As far as I know, there is no way to convert a dx2s to a dx3s.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:31 AM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah I'm pretty sure Horizon changed the circuits to make sure people don't do that.
Old 09-20-2011, 12:26 PM
red_guy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It costs quite a bit of money to qualify an electronic so from a manufacturer point of view it is much cheaper to design one PCB and then produce different population variants.

Of-course it is a different story how this hardware variant detection is actually implemented. It could be resistor placing like the DX2/3 or some EEPROM parameter. Bottom line is that a visual inspection of the PCB will show up the differences in components and a little bit of delta analysis of the circuitry might very well give hints if we are on the right track or not.

Anyhow I am willing to try it out and worst case scenario is that I void the warranty on my radio and I have to do a little bit of soldering job to revert the changes.