Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Traxxas RTR 1/8 NRHA Funny Car Race Replica

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Traxxas RTR 1/8 NRHA Funny Car Race Replica

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 10:34 AM
BLUESTAR502

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Traxxas RTR 1/8 NRHA Funny Car Race Replica

Hey Taz all i,m saying is that there buying a very expensive toy and when they realizie that they like or dislike the sport of R/C Drag Racing is #1 that car won,t cut it and they will have to spend more money on a car that will and #2 its going to be very hard to resell a $500 toy. My first car was a rj speed rail you you can call it what you want old bolink whatever, But that car for $95 with a traxxas tx and rx that i had and a hobbywing combo system for $100 was crazy. And like you mentioned about a Father and his kid to play with, Don,t you think $500 is an awful lot to spend for a toythat only goes straight if he buys anythingit should be a rustlerhell that comes with everything also does 65mph and it turns, jumps and takes a beating and you can probaly line it up againstthe funny car and stay right with it. But hey to each his own times are toughi just hope they really weigh out the whole picturebefore spending halk a K.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:19 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Taz_Hobbies

ORIGINAL: BLUESTAR502

Its not comparing apples to oranges at all, Its what i said in my other posts why spend your hard earned money for something that you can get for half the price. If your capable of turning a screwdriver to put a few screws in to mount a few parts which i,m sure we all are than you should look into what The_Shark said RJ Speed $99 comes with every thing you need except electronics which you can get for about 200 dollars for everything. And to top it off you will have something that will scream.And if you find drag racing is not your thing it will be alot easier to sell something most people are using at the tracks than it would be to sell a toy. Instructions included so don,t think you will get lost putting it together.
But again, you're missing the point. Apples & oranges.

First off how can Traxxas be ripping anyone off? The advertise the price, explain in great detail all the facets of the kits they sell and the customer gets EXACTLY what he purchased. That is far from ripping people off.
Secondly, you are assuming people WANT to build a kit. You are ASSUMING they want some old Bolink technology modified a little and called an RJ Speed.

How can you compare a demographic specific 1/10 scale full race drag kit (after they buy the kit, they have to buy a speed control, a motor, a servo, radio gear, then paint the body, then assemble it all) with a 1/8 scale ready to run kit that a kid and his father can enjoy right out fo the 10 minuteas after the box shows up?

No offense, but that dog don't hunt. Sure your car is faster, but it is supposed to be. It's like comparing a Yugo with a Corvette. Sure they are both cars, but the demopgraphic of people who will buy them are vastly diverse.

Assuming the Yugo is the Traxxas, and the Corvette is the RJ Speed
The Yugo isn't over 2X more than the Corvette though

I dunno if I'm the only one, but I think traxxas's prices are getting way too high for the level of gear you get. But that is just my 2 cents.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:29 AM
Taz_Hobbies
My Feedback: (15)

Hey Taz all i,m saying is that there buying a very expensive toy and when they realizie that they like or dislike the sport of R/C Drag Racing is #1 that car won,t cut it and they will have to spend more money on a car that will and #2 its going to be very hard to resell a $500 toy. My first car was a rj speed rail you you can call it what you want old bolink whatever, But that car for $95 with a traxxas tx and rx that i had and a hobbywing combo system for $100 was crazy. And like you mentioned about a Father and his kid to play with, Don,t you think $500 is an awful lot to spend for a toythat only goes straight if he buys anythingit should be a rustlerhell that comes with everything also does 65mph and it turns, jumps and takes a beating and you can probaly line it up againstthe funny car and stay right with it. But hey to each his own times are toughi just hope they really weigh out the whole picturebefore spending halk a K.
I think the problem here is that you are thinking everyone has to be a hardcore racer enthusiast. I deal with thousands of customers every month that have no problem dropping $500 (Or $1000 for tha matter) on a quality Traxxas kit. Sure RJ has it's good points. But it's NOT an all around wide demographic kit. It is designed, marketed and targets a specific customer, the Traxxas car will appeal to a much larger audience.

I honestly hear what you are saying, I just think you have to open your mind a little and realize there are MILLIONS of R/C hobbyists out there who can relate to Traxxas. They do not want to build, paint, set-up and then purchase more items to get a car running.

Bashing the new Traxxas car is the cool thing, everybody is doing it. Traxxas however, is having the last laugh. Traxxas has a marketing budget that is probably 100 times that of RJ Speed's gross sales. It is simply not a fair fight to compare those two.

Old 04-05-2012, 11:38 AM
srt10
My Feedback: (20)

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

Its not comparing apples to oranges at all, Its what i said in my other posts why spend your hard earned money for something that you can get for half the price. If your capable of turning a screwdriver to put a few screws in to mount a few parts which i,m sure we all are than you should look into what The_Shark said RJ Speed $99 comes with every thing you need except electronics which you can get for about 200 dollars for everything. And to top it off you will have something that will scream.And if you find drag racing is not your thing it will be alot easier to sell something most people are using at the tracks than it would be to sell a toy. Instructions included so don,t think you will get lost putting it together.
But again, you're missing the point. Apples & oranges.

First off how can Traxxas be ripping anyone off? The advertise the price, explain in great detail all the facets of the kits they sell and the customer gets EXACTLY what he purchased. That is far from ripping people off.
Secondly, you are assuming people WANT to build a kit. You are ASSUMING they want some old Bolink technology modified a little and called an RJ Speed.

How can you compare a demographic specific 1/10 scale full race drag kit (after they buy the kit, they have to buy a speed control, a motor, a servo, radio gear, then paint the body, then assemble it all) with a 1/8 scale ready to run kit that a kid and his father can enjoy right out fo the 10 minuteas after the box shows up?

No offense, but that dog don't hunt. Sure your car is faster, but it is supposed to be. It's like comparing a Yugo with a Corvette. Sure they are both cars, but the demopgraphic of people who will buy them are vastly diverse.

Assuming the Yugo is the Traxxas, and the Corvette is the RJ Speed
The Yugo isn't over 2X more than the Corvette though

I dunno if I'm the only one, but I think traxxas's prices are getting way too high for the level of gear you get.
But that is just my 2 cents.
Agreed!
and so do many Hobbytown emloyees think so as well.. Possibly why HT has there own line of entry level rc now that out sell traxxas like 4 to 1
Old 04-05-2012, 01:51 PM
BLUESTAR502

Taz i,m glad your buisness is doing well but do you honestly think the average family man has 1,000dollars to plunk down on two cars because lets be honest what good is one car if son and father both want to race thats without the timing system and the ipod or iphone to tell you your e.t. and speed.Your in the buisness so i,m sure your lovin it but bottom line is $500 FOR A TOY IS TO MUCH!!!!
Old 04-05-2012, 03:39 PM
srt10

Hey Taz all i,m saying is that there buying a very expensive toy and when they realizie that they like or dislike the sport of R/C Drag Racing is #1 that car won,t cut it and they will have to spend more money on a car that will and #2 its going to be very hard to resell a $500 toy. My first car was a rj speed rail you you can call it what you want old bolink whatever, But that car for $95 with a traxxas tx and rx that i had and a hobbywing combo system for $100 was crazy. And like you mentioned about a Father and his kid to play with, Don,t you think $500 is an awful lot to spend for a toy that only goes straight if he buys anything it should be a rustler hell that comes with everything also does 65mph and it turns, jumps and takes a beating and you can probaly line it up against the funny car and stay right with it. But hey to each his own times are tough i just hope they really weigh out the whole picture before spending halk a K.
I think the problem here is that you are thinking everyone has to be a hardcore racer enthusiast. I deal with thousands of customers every month that have no problem dropping $500 (Or $1000 for tha matter) on a quality Traxxas kit. Sure RJ has it's good points. But it's NOT an all around wide demographic kit. It is designed, marketed and targets a specific customer, the Traxxas car will appeal to a much larger audience.

I honestly hear what you are saying, I just think you have to open your mind a little and realize there are MILLIONS of R/C hobbyists out there who can relate to Traxxas. They do not want to build, paint, set-up and then purchase more items to get a car running.

Bashing the new Traxxas car is the cool thing, everybody is doing it. Traxxas however, is having the last laugh. Traxxas has a marketing budget that is probably 100 times that of RJ Speed's gross sales. It is simply not a fair fight to compare those two.

That comment alone says I would never buy from you..
and I will push anyone away from your store.. [:'(]
kinda shows the type of store you would run...
this thread is starting to bring back bad memories of the sunk spartan [:-]
big money lost for traxxas on that one!

and apples to oranges... yeah ok, racer to toy..
Old 04-05-2012, 03:42 PM
FahrtAutoRC

I think Traxxas should be a censored word here on RCU, seems like every time a thread is made about one, flaming, arguing and one-sidedness ensue.

Traxxas, once again, does a good job of bringing things more into the "mainstream" (SCT, anyone?), BUT they do charge more and give you less.
Old 04-05-2012, 04:02 PM
srt10

I do dig this car and would not mind having one from tower at about 450bucks
Old 04-05-2012, 04:44 PM
silvermansteve
My Feedback: (2)

amusing. that someone would get angry because this car merely exists, or because they think it costs too much money, or because they can't really afford it, or because they worry others can't afford it. and mad also at people who might like the car, or god forbid, at someone who will sell the car to other people.

i like traxxas.

Old 04-05-2012, 05:15 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

First sorry Taz fr over reacting, who said quiting smoking was easy lol

Hummmm...

IMO
they can be compared. They are both r/c electric drag (funny) cars. It shouldent matter if its a kit or not. I still compare the Hpi Baja 5t to the 5t ss kit

RJ Traxxas
Length 495mm 692mm
Wheelbase 330mm 389mm

I think traxxas have gone for a more scale look tho

I dont think its like comparing a Yugo to a Corvette..... Yugo's last for ever...and are very weather proof, can hold 4 people and u dont have to worry about speeding fines

Its more like comparing a Mitsuoka Motors Orochi to a Audi R8..
Yes both are super cars, but one is clearly better in every way & nither are at the top of there leage
Old 04-05-2012, 05:43 PM
phmaximus

ORIGINAL: FahrtAutoRC

I think Traxxas should be a censored word here on RCU, seems like every time a thread is made about one, flaming, arguing and one-sidedness ensue.

Traxxas, once again, does a good job of bringing things more into the ''mainstream'' (SCT, anyone?), BUT they do charge more and give you less.

LOL.....

Im telling ya its the fan boys that get everyone going....

I use to like traxxas but these days Im all for Losi, they dont make for the market hype, they just make them to be better & faster.
So far they have smashed HPI & traxxas with 2wd truggies, SCT & now 1/5 gassers. there are even heaps of traxxas guys using there shocks... Losi, Losi, Losi. OI, OI, OI. lol..... jokin im not that much of a die hard fan... But im a die hard fan of Farmers Union Ice Coffee..... seriously dont mess with my ice coffee
Old 04-05-2012, 06:01 PM
TheKennyKiller
Banned

I can't wait till this is available. I'm going to buy at least two of them.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:21 PM
FahrtAutoRC

I have a like-new Tekno V3 Losi 8ight, and right now it is the current "apple of my eye", so to speak, but I still love my Slash 4X4. That thing will be an overused shelf-queen even if I quit using it, but i also have to look at the fact that half the truck is no longer Traxxas, and several expensive LHS trips later to get it where I want it. The buggy I am happy with as is, Tekno kit, Xerun 80A w/ 2000Kv motor. 4s, this thing is just simply amazing. And TOUGH. I tested that myself
Old 04-05-2012, 08:05 PM
phmaximus

ORIGINAL: TheKennyKiller

Nothing to say? thats unlike u. lol
Old 04-05-2012, 08:08 PM
phmaximus

I must admit that traxxas drag car is the best looking r/c dragcar ive ever seen... even the chassis looks cool
Old 04-05-2012, 08:33 PM
kochj

One off anything cost money...
This is a 1st time one off vehicle... It is verh scale looking...something people want right now...
The only thing that I saw was a neg in there 100MPH 1/8 electric vehicle, is that it doesn't give you the option to convert it to run on a road course...
This one really doesn't have that option nor would I expect it too...

It has a castle MMPR and a motor..Sells for 240$? I paid 130$ for a SCT version and 4-pole motor...but this was a TOwer hobbies deal...and is back up to the
240$ or something...
Batteries, Transmtter car....
Lets call it a good deal day....
200$ for motor/esc
100$ Transmitter/reciever 2.4gig basic radio...
50$ Digital stearing servo
350$ just for those...
This has all of them, and a car....
= Very good price.....ANd I don't drag race..
If I was into drag racing and RC / I would buy one in a heartbeat...

I would love to have 2=of them....so I and my son or friends could race...
Old 04-05-2012, 09:34 PM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

honestly castle is just re-badged $40 ESC's, thats another manufacture that bends you over, i would put money that my $25 Turnigy track star ESC will outrun and out last a castle of the same power output.

there is simply no justifying traxxas prices "but they come with this, they come with that" OFNA sold buggies in the past with picco engines for no additional costs, duratrax puts (or at least to put) expensive pro-line tires on a $130 car, they also use a re-branded esc that sell for big bucks for almost half of traxxas.

traxxas kits are almost always under-equipped with crappy tires, plastic bodied shocks and so-so servos. when a manufacture makes a deal with another supplier, they get the product dirt cheap, traxxas makes you pay a premium, they are very smart at marketing, that's about it, nothing is really GREAT from them only ok or good.

traxxas built up the popularity of the hobby, but it's prices will kill it.

i am all about function, i dont care if it looks like a 7 year old made it for a science fair, if it preforms well, thats all i care about, and thats where RJ fits in, who cares if they are low volume? they are affordable, race proven and made in the USA, we are not comparing companies but rather products.

traxxas needs to drop 40% they are in high demand, they can afford to reduce some profit-per-unit this way its easier to please people, more people can afford it, and more people will need parts (the biggest profit maker to a r/c company is parts) they are getting really greedy.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:50 PM
silvermansteve

would not an rj kit require a total of over 300 dollars, MINIMUM, to build out?  plus radio?  besides, these cars chase different customers.  the bolink is a pure racer i guess, and very crude looking, as you say.  ultimately i don't see the traxxas as exorbitantly priced, with a street value in the mid-400s, rtr.  especially if you value that transmitter.

anyway, i lack the business insight and industry knowledge to address your assessment of traxxas's future.   but to the layman, it does not SEEM like they are about to get killed, as a result of their established pricing strategy.  it could be that you know something not publicly discussed, that you are not at liberty to disclose.  i do know most cars sold at my hobby shop are traxxas.  they seem to do ok...to someone uninformed, anyway.

Old 04-05-2012, 11:22 PM
quietnas1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You know its crazy. Someone mentioned that the Traxxas fan boys ruin a thread with anything Traxxas related. Funny thing is no one in here said that Traxxas is the best thing since slice bread. On the contrary there has been alot of Traxxas bashing. I'm very happy with my Jato that I have had since 2007, one of the most reliable rc's I have had. I also like HPI and love my Savage. No fan boy here. I have had 3 RC10GT's, 2 HPI RS4 2's, my Jato, abs my Savage.

I think the new dragster is cool. Would I get one? No, but once they come or with something that catches my interest I will buy even if I am so called over paying because it will be what I like.
Old 04-06-2012, 02:05 AM
silvermansteve

i love my jato, quietnas. it is my favorite rc. and love my revos. but i sold my slash. well, who cares?

anyway, i think being the biggest fish, and doing only rtr to boot, makes traxxas a target.
Old 04-06-2012, 04:03 AM
OvalRacer99

Man, I do love reading threads like this. It's so stupid and humorous to see people argue over each others OPINION!!!

Ilike the scale looks of this and I have been a big John Force fan for a long time.
The price is more than I am willing to spend. (Especialy for Traxxas)
So I say, if you like it, head out to your local hobby shop and get your hands on one,
if you don't, then you don't have to buy one. Why come on a forum and whine about it!

That is my OPINION and it doesn't matter if you agree!!!
Old 04-06-2012, 07:43 AM
BLUESTAR502

Hey silver don,t get it twisted i,m not mad at anybody i would love to see taz make money and you don,t even know me to say i can,t afford it. Go buy one and when your ready to upgrade let me know i have a nice walbern with a MMP, 7700 castle motor associated tx and rx RTR $300 plus shipping.
Old 04-06-2012, 03:51 PM
phmaximus

$300 sounds a bit expensive to get a drag car going????

$15 40C 11.1V 3S 2200mAh Zippy Flightmax LiPo Battery, Should get a few runs from that
$82 Ezrun 9T Brushless Motor + 35A v2 ESC, thats heaps of amps for a 2x4 drag car on that 11.1v battery thats 47730rpm
$9.95 TowerPro SG5010 Nylon Gear 5.5kg Digital Servo SG-5010 60deg @ 6v in 1.2sec
$28.99 FS-GT2 2ch 2.4GHz TX RX
$135 RJ 13" funny car

$270.94 including the chassis.... thanks to ebay,,, $135.94 with out chassis
Old 04-06-2012, 05:00 PM
proanti1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: The_Shark

ORIGINAL: Ttam Says Blarg

Yea I wouldnt spend much more than 200 on the car. Especially when I can have the RJ Speed for 99 dollars..
Isn't that sort of trying compare apples & oranges?

RJ speed is a proven Funny car, sure its a kit, but big deal. fact is the RJ is probably a better car, and you can make it go like crazy for about $150 in electronics. TRAXXAS is ripping off people, stupid people nonetheless.

plus the RJ is made in the US of A not in China or Taiwan where the cost of labor is FAR less.
Have you seen what the chassis looks like?

It's a bit more complex than an RJ Speed car. It will also come with TQi and the new Traxxas branded Castle brushless system. Just adding those two things to an RJ Speed kit would bring the cost up near what the Traxxas car runs.

Yeah, you can throw some cheap HK electronics on an RJ speed chassis and not spend more than $200, but it's still not even close to the same thing. Just look at that chassis, it looks fantastic!
Old 04-06-2012, 05:48 PM
srt10

ORIGINAL: proanti1

ORIGINAL: The_Shark

ORIGINAL: Ttam Says Blarg

Yea I wouldnt spend much more than 200 on the car. Especially when I can have the RJ Speed for 99 dollars..
Isn't that sort of trying compare apples & oranges?

RJ speed is a proven Funny car, sure its a kit, but big deal. fact is the RJ is probably a better car, and you can make it go like crazy for about $150 in electronics. TRAXXAS is ripping off people, stupid people nonetheless.

plus the RJ is made in the US of A not in China or Taiwan where the cost of labor is FAR less.
Have you seen what the chassis looks like?

It's a bit more complex than an RJ Speed car. It will also come with TQi and the new Traxxas branded Castle brushless system. Just adding those two things to an RJ Speed kit would bring the cost up near what the Traxxas car runs.

Yeah, you can throw some cheap HK electronics on an RJ speed chassis and not spend more than $200, but it's still not even close to the same thing. Just look at that chassis, it looks fantastic!
yeah baby!
nothing like paying 2 and 3 times the price for made in china! [:'(]
some of those so called cheap HK electronics that many want to bring up, are proven to beat out higher priced electronics in price and performance[:-]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.