Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

How Happy Are You With Your RC Collection?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.
View Poll Results: A poll
Perfect - got just what I want
20.30%
Pretty good - could be better
48.87%
Average - some good, some bad
18.05%
Not really happy - needs change or improvement
9.02%
Hate it - want to sell everything and start over
3.76%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

How Happy Are You With Your RC Collection?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 06:36 PM
farren76

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How Happy Are You With Your RC Collection?

I'm happy with my electric cars.  Not so much with my nitro.  Jato 3.3 seems everytime I take it out, something breaks within my first two tanks of fuel..  Might just be bad luck.  I have a 1/10th scale Traxxas rally that is a blast to run.  I just bought a 2wd stampede vxl today that looks promising also.
Old 03-24-2013, 07:49 AM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Right now I'm pretty happy with my collection, though I do need to sell off some stuff and then try some newer things. Next on my list of new purchases is going to be giant gas boat with twin inlines. Right now the flagship of my fleet is a 64" Bonzi Fountain with an I2z-r inline twin zenoah. As far as cars go my main ones are a couple of heavily modified Baja 5Bs and an FG Competition 4x4 Monster Truck.

I also really want to get a Losi 5ive-T, but I should probably sell off my Baja 5SC first, considering I have 3 working Bajas and enough parts to probably build 4 more [&:]
Old 03-24-2013, 09:21 AM
Argess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sometimes getting a not-so-good vehicle can be fun as it offers the opportunity for tinkring and modifications; if you like that sort of thing, and I do. Anyway, here's the list:

Savage 25 with 30VG engine and some mods: Great vehicle. It has to be, as it won me over from my old favourite: buggies.

Two OFNA buggies. The MBX with the 28 has been great straight out of the box. The Ultra LX had the crappy Force 26 in it. Finally broke the crank-pin. Replaced it with the Nitrostar 25 from the Savage and it's now comparable to the MBX for acceleration, top speed, etc. Had to make a lot of changes to the Ultra braking linkage to get it to my liking.

HPI RS4 3 ss. Quite happy with this car as it's only for fun. Bashing around parking lots. An engine mounting lug eventually broke off the crankcase (not sure why), but picked up a new block very cheap and it's mobile again. Also have an OS .18 cvr with THS pipe to put in it once the HPI engine wears out.

NTC3: Great little touring car. Lighter than the RS4, but almost as tough. .15 engine is a jewel. Did some mods, but it's great out of the box. The Team version comes with some of the mods I did (clutchbell that takes different toothed gears for one).

HPI Baja 5B: This turned out to be a mistake... and an expensive mistake. It's nose-heavy, doesn't jump that well although I managed to tune the shocks, and that helped. And I still can't get mine to wheelie (from a standng start) despite an overbore kit, Hostile MX tires, tuned pipe, SS differential, and a higher rpm engagement clutch. It will wheelie if I goose it while already moving a bit, but not from a standstill. I find the engine isn't much fun as it always stays in tune, so not much tinkering there. And despite having an acre to run it in, it really needs more room than that. The sides suck up grass like crazy ( I know there are mods to prevent that, but havn't bothered yet). Overall, it wasn't for me and I should have cut my losses and sold it vs. continuing to pour money into it to try to get it the way I like it.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:26 AM
sheograth

The problem with your wheelies will easily be solved by a 60cc or inline kit
Old 03-24-2013, 09:42 AM
Argess

ORIGINAL: sheograth

The problem with your wheelies will easily be solved by a 60cc or inline kit
LOL... so my little 28.5 kit won't do it then?

I'm pretty sure a different pipe would fix it, but I'm not going to drive an RC car with a GIANT SNAIL fastened to it !!!

ps: This one waas recommended to me for performance, but wihtout the giant snail look:

http://www.largescalerc.com/cpituned...rbaja5b5t.aspx
Old 03-24-2013, 10:00 AM
sheograth

There is NOTHING wrong with giant snails on RCs.

In fact, with a giant snail you might be able to get that thing to wheelie.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:20 AM
Argess

ORIGINAL: sheograth

There is NOTHING wrong with giant snails on RCs.

In fact, with a giant snail you might be able to get that thing to wheelie.
Yes there is! LOL.

It's just my preference, which I think is basically the whole point of this thread.

As far as the 5B goes, I think I just can't get traction, but the 5B forum guys tell me different. Yet, I do get rooster tails of grass and dirt from a standing start.........
Old 03-24-2013, 10:38 AM
sheograth

Check out the DDM Dominator pipes, they're not too snailish looking and perform well. Another great set of pipes is made by GBE, Gabe Brown Engineering. They are pretty big but they're straight side mount pipes so there's no snail look. Those pipes make serious power.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:55 AM
big JC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm pretty happy with my collection (only been back in the hobby for about 5 months)

1-RCBTE-CE edition. This is my go to rc right now. Running castle 2200kv and HW 150a pro (huge esc) on 5s and the thing is crazy fun!

Everybody that sees this thing run is blown away including my self. Still working out the kinks with diff oil and what not and

am thinking of going up to 6s just for ease of use more than anything.

2-Durango dnx 408- Had a nova p5xlt which was great but converted it to electric with a rcmonster kit. Running a castle 2200kv with HW 150a

xerun on 5s. The car is absolutely bombproof! Everything on this car is beefier than the rc8t or my losi. However after

tearing everything up with the truggy the buggy just isn't that much fun. Not sure what I'll do with this car or the nova p5xlt.

Open to suggestions for the nova p5xlt?

3-losi 8ight T the rtr version. This car is barely used not even broken in yet so I don't have much to say about it. I'm fighting the temptation to

to convert it but will run some nitro through it this summer before I make up my mind.

4- Have several cheapish heli's and quad's. These are fun but I haven't flown them much lately. Considering stepping up to a higher end micro heli

for more performance/ precision

So that's how deep I've gotten in the last 5 months. Definitely want to get at least one plane, thinking of the HK p51. Also think I want to get a monster truck but not sure which one and/or if it would be fun compared to the truggy.

And oh yeah would at some point like to get a 1/5 gasser. Not sure what the performance is on one compared to 1/8 though and they are definitely expensive.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:26 PM
On2_n_On4

ORIGINAL: Argess

I don't see why not...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxkEAiYMXOs[/youtube]
Old 03-24-2013, 06:07 PM
Argess

ORIGINAL: On2_n_On4

I don't see why not...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxkEAiYMXOs[/youtube]

FAKE!!!

Just kidding. But if that 5B has street tires on hot pavement and with a heavy pipe on the rear-end... I notice it doesn't wheelie in grass... and it is an off-road vehicle.

Anyway.... I think I'll cease and desist on all this 5B stuff as it's getting off-topic.
Old 03-24-2013, 07:01 PM
On2_n_On4

FAKE!!!

Just kidding. But if that 5B has street tires on hot pavement and with a heavy pipe on the rear-end... I notice it doesn't wheelie in grass... and it is an off-road vehicle.

Anyway.... I think I'll cease and desist on all this 5B stuff as it's getting off-topic.

they are not street tires., Is a 5T with excavator tires. (half worn tires) thats why they have NO grip on grass. And even if they were new, excavators are not that great on grass either.
the rest is 8000rpm "red" spring, zenoah clutch shoes, and stock gears.
Is all about the right power, grip, and shocks/spring settings.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:43 PM
judithangels

As now rc toys is a best hobby of every one.I and my brother also interested in toys and have a great collection of cars,helicopter or planes.But in all of them i like Pioneerelectric brushless rc car.It is best brushless remote controlled car - which isextremely fast.Thisengine, in this model is much faster than the motors in other models.It is safe and best for fun for me.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:35 PM
suburban_hooligan

Received 62 Likes on 58 Posts

my collection is fine.  it's just a little dated (i haven't bought a new car in 13 years) and mostly non working.  and the main cars i run my local hobby shop's don't keep parts in stock for.  everything is a special order.  so it's very inconvenient when they wear out or break.

im happy with what iv got, im just not happy with the support it has.  id upgrade and get a new car or two but the market sucks for the performance minded kit builders on a budget, so im kinda screwed.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:48 PM
collector1231

My collection islengthyand boring, so be prepared;
1. Megatech Megapro Buggy; My first ever RC car. Sitting on a shelf. I went all out on it; dual servos, dual motors, plenty of other worthless parts, etc.
2. Exceed RC Rally Monster; Worst nitro car ever made. Cheap, horrible engine, breaking always, and R.I.P right now.
3. Redcat RS10 Crawler; A nice crawler, except for the sad servos. Don't worry, now i'm hitting the mud pit and they aredying. Excuse for new servo FTW!
4. Traxxas Slash; My loyal, trusty, always-fast, best rc car ever made rc car..... lol! Now it has a 540 system with 13.5 and 3300 KV.
5. Traxxas MERV; OMIGAWD! I can't explain how much i hate this car! Hard to wrench on, always a problem in the diff, and the battery keeps puffing, more and more.....
6. Losi Micro Crawler; Really fun micro rc car to climb couches and Beanbag Hill.
7. Losi Micro T; Broken right now, fried ESC/receiver and servo after bad crash down 2 flights of stairs, straight down.
8. Team Associated B4.1; It is nearly FT except the shock towers now. I bought it RTR, and have made so many changes, it'll make your head spin.
9. OFNA Nexx 10SC; Fun and fast, durable too. Anything else?....
10. Hobby People Outlaw; Newest pita in the club and is always breaking in the drive train. Soon, enough Loctite will fix it.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:39 AM
padams10001

Pretty happy (for the moment anyway)...

In order of purchase;

1)Tamiya Durga DB-02 with HW 35A ESC and 4000kv motor- Just sits there now as nowhere much to run it. Only keep it because it's the first hobby grade car I built/purchased.

2) Slash 2wd with HW SC10 & 3500kv - Good to flog the p*** out of as it keeps asking for more.

3) E-Revo with HW SC8 & 2700kv - fun when its going, but when something breaks (reasonably often) it is an absolute PITA to work on. Also have a second E-Revo I bought as a parts car. Am probably looking to sell these once I finish building 8).

4) SC8e - Basically a bigger, badder, better, tougher version of the slash. Great basher.

5) RC8.2e with HW 150A ESC & 2200kv - Intended to be a racer but haven't got around to it yet. Great handling, tough and fast.

6) Rovan Baja 260s - Fun and surprisingly tough. Have yet to break anything major (only had 3 runs though). Very, very noisy though.

7) HB D8T Tekno coversion with either MMM or HW 150A & Castle or HW 2000kv - A work in progress. At about 98% done now though. Hopefully finish it this weekend.

Am considering getting one of the Venom Atomik Metal Mulisha MM 450 1/4 Bikes at the moment, but will need to sell something else first!
Old 03-26-2013, 02:10 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, I dunno if I'll remember all of them in one go.

Let's go by scale..

1/18th to 1/11th
1/11th HPI Cup Racer Drift - Corolla Levin
1/18th Yokomo MiniQlo crawler
1/16th Traxxas Mini eRevo VXL

1/10th
Losi 22b
Nutech 1/10th electric touring car

1/8th
Team Associated SC8e
Xray XT8 2009 specs - e-converted.

1/5th
Smartech Thunderbolt
Nutech Thunderbolt 2
FG Monster Beetle Pro

I think that's about it at the moment.

I'm missing a 1/10th 4x4 buggy and a 1/8th buggy at the moment. Thinking about getting a new Mugen MBX7 eco and maybe the Xray XB4 in the near future. I'm also in the market for a new touring car for racing at some point, maybe an Xray T4.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:08 AM
turok007

i think i own to many as they won't all fit in the same room. but i am trying to look for something new & exciting at the moment.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:16 AM
redfisher1974

I am happy with what I got,

1- E-Firestorm with Mamba Max 4600kv, Has been the best most reliable RC period.

2- Savage Flux XS, Great little tough truck.

3- Tamiya CC-01 Land cruiser, fun scale truck

4- RC18R with mamba 8000kv, Just bought this off ebay and waiting for it. Should be fast on 2s....
Old 03-26-2013, 09:42 AM
sheograth

I can't believe you don't own a Baja Foxy, you'd like ti.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:05 PM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

5b? Great to look at not so much fun to drive, imo. This was mine before being sold. Money pit...a reminder of better times, I couldn't afford to do that again at the moment.

Old 03-26-2013, 02:12 PM
redfisher1974

I like the Mad Max look....
Old 03-26-2013, 05:38 PM
sheograth

Oh yeah I remember that one, good looking. I actually really like the way Bajas handle, they feel way more realistic than other RCs.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:47 PM
collector1231

How do you people get your rc cars SO clean? I used compressed air, warm water, and a scrub brush for 5 hours on my slash, and it's still very dirty.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:54 PM
redfisher1974

ORIGINAL: collector1231

How do you people get your rc cars SO clean? I used compressed air, warm water, and a scrub brush for 5 hours on my slash, and it's still very dirty.
They never get them dirty....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.