Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

freezing air filter foam

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2003, 04:55 PM
Kuma
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default freezing air filter foam

This is really weird, and I'm very curious if anyone knows or has had this before. My garage is room temp, it's warm outside (78-80F), and I go in my garage to gather up all the air filter foams to take into the house for cleaning and the filter I take off my MBX R2 is freezing cold! I checked the temp of the foam with the temp gun and it shows 55F, it even made the whole air filter assembly cold too, and I haven't run my MBX at all today. I use Associated air filter treatement on all my foams, and this is the first time I've ever seen something like this. Is there a chemical that gets cold when in contact with dirt or a certain material?
Old 09-08-2003, 07:51 PM
RustlerMark

Default RE: freezing air filter foam

I can only speculate but maybe the temp of the garage floor caused it to cool, was it on the ground??? Yeah, I suppose that something in the treatment might cause it to get cold, but I really don't think that it makes a difference....
Old 09-08-2003, 07:56 PM
Aterlatus

Could it be something in the oil reacting with something in the fuel, assuming a small amount of fuel leaked up towards the air filter....

Maybe you should try posting in the forum for fuels - there seems to be more chemists in there
Old 09-08-2003, 08:09 PM
Kuma

You might be right, it probably reacted in conact with fuel. I store my buggy on a stand on the top shelf.

And here's the result of the filters after a weekend bashing, it nearly made me puke! [sm=eek.gif]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57592.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	60095  
Old 09-08-2003, 08:10 PM
Aterlatus

Ewwwwwwwww

So you can clean the filters? Eesh, that's gonna save me some cash

What do you use to clean them?

Thanks
Old 09-08-2003, 08:17 PM
Kuma

Simple, fill the sink up with warm water and use liquid hand soap, drop all the filters in and let them sit for about 10 minutes, take one out at a time and squeeze and wipe firmly with a paper towel, once you've done with all the filters put them back in the water and let soak for another 5 mins and repeat the wiping and let dry, then apply the filter oil all around, and wrinse the sink...of course.
Old 09-08-2003, 08:20 PM
Aterlatus

Thank you muchly

My filter was starting to get a little dirty and none of the manuals mentioned you could clean them, I was half expecting to have to buy a new one before long - assume it was another consumable

You could save me a fortune! Ta
Old 09-08-2003, 10:25 PM
the-one1

another way is pour nitro(used) into filter (out of car)and squeeze it out dry. works when there is no soap at the parking lot.
Old 09-08-2003, 10:29 PM
Shadow102
My Feedback: (5)

the nitro fuel thing is just a quick fix when you dun have soapy water around however the oil it deposits is not a whole lot. Also be careful when re oiling too much oil is a bad thing it can either starve the engine of air or suck the oil into the engine