Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

HPI GASSERS!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 04:04 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: HPI GASSERS!!!!!

Boosting, injecting pumping, who cares, either way what u are planing simply won't work.

Pumping in air won't do anything unless u can provide more than it consumes. If u can provide more than it consumes it will start increasing the air pressure in the carby...... Yep that's all normal. But here is the part that's tricky

How well do u thing the Venturi is going to work with a higher than atmospheric air pressure and a even lower pressure in the fuel tank?
As soon as Venturi gets positive air pressure from the forced induction it's going to push all the fuel out of the carby and backs into the fuel tank.

For a nirto motor to run it needs a higher pressure in the fuel tank than what's at the carby to get fuel flow. Even if u connect a boost line to the fuel tank and a one way valve on the hose from the muffler to the fuel tank. It still won't have that needed air pressure to push the fuel from the tank to the carby.at best it will be equall to the intake pressure, and would most likely leak around the fuel tanks lid bleeding off boost. So the problem will be fuel supply it will be worse than stock under boost and WILL lean out.

If I was u I would be looking at a more suitable fuel system, maby something with a electric pump, return line and a fuel bowl
Or u could just run a draw through carby, but that won't work with the test u were planing
Old 12-22-2012, 04:15 PM
phmaximus

ORIGINAL: supertib

Just to add...

these carbs work exactly the same as a single stage airbrush......... the needle position sets the paint to air ratio, and the overall air volume controls the overall paint volume....Spray with 5 PIS then spray with 10 PSI And you will see 10 PSI deposits double the amount of paint 5 PSI did....these carbs work in exactly the same fashion...more air = more paint...or more air = more fuel....... So if in theory we double the air volume passing thru the carb by boosting the engine we will also see a doubling of the fuel volume passing thru the carb into the engine..... Heck my cousin even used to do nitrous shots right thru the carb of his sled with no extra fuel enrichment....same concept...These carbs are just like a airbrush...consider how the changing of the needles and airflow affects the airbrush and that is how it will affect the carb.....

Sorry bud ur wrong about ya cousin nitrous setup. I bet it's under 30hp and there is no way the carby adds any more fuel. More like it does what every other low hp dry nitrous kit, it just leans out the fuel air mix within a safe limit. That why those setups are small hp gains
Old 12-22-2012, 04:29 PM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: phmaximus

Just to add...

these carbs work exactly the same as a single stage airbrush......... the needle position sets the paint to air ratio, and the overall air volume controls the overall paint volume....Spray with 5 PIS then spray with 10 PSI And you will see 10 PSI deposits double the amount of paint 5 PSI did....these carbs work in exactly the same fashion...more air = more paint...or more air = more fuel....... So if in theory we double the air volume passing thru the carb by boosting the engine we will also see a doubling of the fuel volume passing thru the carb into the engine..... Heck my cousin even used to do nitrous shots right thru the carb of his sled with no extra fuel enrichment....same concept...These carbs are just like a airbrush...consider how the changing of the needles and airflow affects the airbrush and that is how it will affect the carb.....

Sorry bud ur wrong about ya cousin nitrous setup. I bet it's under 30hp and there is no way the carby adds any more fuel. More like it does what every other low hp dry nitrous kit, it just leans out the fuel air mix within a safe limit. That why those setups are small hp gains

Just like I was wrong about a turbo charged 2 stroke sleds LOL !! And your welcome to talk to my cousin about his sled, tell him how it doesn`t work.... then he will gladly show you the trophies he has won and the different records he has held..........LOL Oh and your right, it was not a big shot, likely less then 30 HP...but when we are only talking 130 HP 600CC triple a 30 shot is big dose proportionately ....

FYI at the level of performance we run our engines at there is no room to run the engine lean... It will destroy the engine...end of story ! there is no second chances...

And yes air is pushed into our lungs.....We create low pressure in our lungs and atmospheric pressure pushes air in to fill them.....Air is pushed from high pressure to low pressure, it is not a play on words but rather the basic physics of how our lungs and our engines work.....

Also the engine maintains its own fuel pressure by tapping into the exhaust pressure, if we double the output of the engine we will also double the exhaust pressure and thus doubling the fuel pressure......... These things do not rely on atmospheric pressure to pressurize the fuel system...the engines own exhaust gasses are what pressurizes the system.......

If I build the plenum to encase the entire carb the only;y difference it will be to the engine is the pressure at the plenum and the pressure at the stinger......Not much different then running at 10 000 feet altitude then running at or below sea level.....We are just giving the engine a denser atmosphere to work with

either way I said my bit, I Will test the theory sometime in the near future using my dyno , till then there is not much more that needs to be said............it will either be or it will not be..... maybe when the time comes we can make a few little bets !!! put our money where our mouth is maybe !!!

Old 12-22-2012, 04:38 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I see tibs test working, but that is because the engine would be tuned for the extra constant air.

The way I see it with the super/turbo chargers they make for nitro engines is the air flow is not constant so either it will bog out at low RPM's if you tune it for the high end, or lean out at high if you tune it for the low end so it stays running. Now if they made a way to increase the fuel when the airflow increases then it might work.
Old 12-22-2012, 04:52 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

on carb turbo charged cars, you have a motor which can handle variations in air/fuel ratio due to air temps and such.
And these cars gernally have carbs with extra features to help push more fuel as the air volume increases.

Nitro motors however, are some of the pickiest motors out there. We have to tweak the carb if the air temps differ by as little as 10 degrees! And the carb, tho it will add fuel as the air going threw it increases, may not add fuel once the air pressure exceeds atmospheric air pressure.

I just dont see a super or turbo charged nitro motor being reliable.

And there is always the issue of greating enough boost to make a difference. since there is a time when the intake/exhaust ports are open together....how can we expect there to be a significant increase in the air/fuel present in the chamber to be compressed? Wont most of the extra fuel/air forced into the chamber make it out of the chamber before the exhaust port is closed? I dont see how the chamber will hold any more than atmospheric air pressure!

I dont think there is any way to improve on the nitro motor. (tho I have wondered if a spark plug could be made which could ignite the fuel mixture and thus make the motors more reliable and easier to tune)
Old 12-22-2012, 07:16 PM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: proanti1

No they can't, don't be silly. The bigger 2stroke engines are different

Check out RB innovations, they have supercharger kits for nitro motors. They work just not very well

big 2 strokes are no different.......... your theory on why 2 strokes cant be boosted is completely wrong and I have proven that multiple times now..... a 2 stroke is a 2 stroke.....if one can be boosted they all can be boosted..

I will do a test on my dyno soon... I will inject air thru the carb and measure the results...........I Am sure I am going to find that the more air I inject, the more HP the engine will make...... Keep in mind this is very low priority for me so I wont be rushing to do it tomorrow...., but I do plan to do it sometime relatively soon
'Injecting air' is not the same as 'boosting'. These small engines cannot be turbo charged because the power loss through the turbo is greater than any gain. The super chargers are still up in the air, but they're not even built/designed good enough to create the least bit of manifold pressure. They're a gimmick.

In theory, yes, it's possible... but so far, they don't do ****, and have been proven not to do ****. Engines also do not scale well. Just because something works on a larger engine, does not mean it will work on a smaller engine.

Also, you point out the ventury in the carburetor. You're missing on little aspect. The manifold pressure. The carburetor will be pressurized, keeping adequate fuel from being pulled through the spraybar. This is a major problem on full sized blow through turbo set ups. Vacuum (choke) pulls in more fuel, pressure will do the opposite. Venturies also only work on one direction. Pushing air through one is not the same as pulling it through, what the carburetor is normally designed for.

Yeah, you'll probably see a little jump by forcing compressed air into the carburetor, but it won't be replicable within a closed system.

I think your misunderstanding how the carb even works in the first place...air is always pushed into the carb..it is never sucked into the carb.....Our atmosphere is at 14 PSI , abd the crankcase is substantially lower, which results in air being pushed into the carb by the pressure of our atmosphere...it is not sucked in as you are saying...The air that our engines ingest is actually pushed in by the 14.7 PSI of our atmosphere........... So we can safely say these engines operate normally with 14.7 PSI of inlet pressure........... I will double the inlet pressure to 25.4 PSI and see what happens..... the carb will function in the exact same manner...it wont care ... Air will be pushed in by 25é4 PSI instead of 14.7 PSI...the same physics apply......
Haha, it's almost like you have absolutely no understanding of relative atmospheres.

You do realize turbocharged sleds are draw through, and closed circuit rotary valved, right?

Experimenting with stuff like this is great, and encouraged... but the whole "you just watch me, you're all wrong" attitude is ridiculous, and immature. You think it will work? Then go do it. Meanwhile, take criticism in stride and move the hell on.

Old 12-22-2012, 07:36 PM
i8tweety
My Feedback: (11)

Lets stick to the topic and not continue this diversion to performance adders for gas engines.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:27 PM
supertib

No they can't, don't be silly. The bigger 2stroke engines are different

Check out RB innovations, they have supercharger kits for nitro motors. They work just not very well

big 2 strokes are no different.......... your theory on why 2 strokes cant be boosted is completely wrong and I have proven that multiple times now..... a 2 stroke is a 2 stroke.....if one can be boosted they all can be boosted..

I will do a test on my dyno soon... I will inject air thru the carb and measure the results...........I Am sure I am going to find that the more air I inject, the more HP the engine will make...... Keep in mind this is very low priority for me so I wont be rushing to do it tomorrow...., but I do plan to do it sometime relatively soon
'Injecting air' is not the same as 'boosting'. These small engines cannot be turbo charged because the power loss through the turbo is greater than any gain. The super chargers are still up in the air, but they're not even built/designed good enough to create the least bit of manifold pressure. They're a gimmick.

In theory, yes, it's possible... but so far, they don't do ****, and have been proven not to do ****. Engines also do not scale well. Just because something works on a larger engine, does not mean it will work on a smaller engine.

Also, you point out the ventury in the carburetor. You're missing on little aspect. The manifold pressure. The carburetor will be pressurized, keeping adequate fuel from being pulled through the spraybar. This is a major problem on full sized blow through turbo set ups. Vacuum (choke) pulls in more fuel, pressure will do the opposite. Venturies also only work on one direction. Pushing air through one is not the same as pulling it through, what the carburetor is normally designed for.

Yeah, you'll probably see a little jump by forcing compressed air into the carburetor, but it won't be replicable within a closed system.

I think your misunderstanding how the carb even works in the first place...air is always pushed into the carb..it is never sucked into the carb.....Our atmosphere is at 14 PSI , abd the crankcase is substantially lower, which results in air being pushed into the carb by the pressure of our atmosphere...it is not sucked in as you are saying...The air that our engines ingest is actually pushed in by the 14.7 PSI of our atmosphere........... So we can safely say these engines operate normally with 14.7 PSI of inlet pressure........... I will double the inlet pressure to 25.4 PSI and see what happens..... the carb will function in the exact same manner...it wont care ... Air will be pushed in by 25é4 PSI instead of 14.7 PSI...the same physics apply......
Haha, it's almost like you have absolutely no understanding of relative atmospheres.

You do realize turbocharged sleds are draw through, and closed circuit rotary valved, right?

Experimenting with stuff like this is great, and encouraged... but the whole ''you just watch me, you're all wrong'' attitude is ridiculous, and immature. You think it will work? Then go do it. Meanwhile, take criticism in stride and move the hell on.

We have done plenty of piston port turbo sleds..none I know of are rotary valve...... We stopped using rotary valves many years ago......they are not all draw thru either.........

And I most definitely have a very very good understanding of how 2 stroke nitro engines work.. .. the real question here is do you ?
Old 12-22-2012, 11:28 PM
phmaximus

It's not a competition on why knows more, but u are making a fool of yourself.

U don't even understand my post.

Here this might help

U think u can just pump air into the carby and see hp gains, wrong

No idea of the problems with existing nitro kits

U seem to think a nitro carby has some magic way of metering the fuel like a real car, or snowmobile

U think a 30hp nitrous kit draws more fuel from the carby, wrong

U think if u double the power it doubles the exhaust gas, wrong

U completely don't understand my point about ya cousins nitrous setup and fuel air mixtures

U completely don't understand my point about what hapens to a Venturi in a high pressure

U completely don't understand my point about how u might be able to reduce that effect

U seem to think that myself, a Australian would care about a snow mobile? I've never even seen show, and this is a Rc car forum

We are trying really hard to keep this civil but I can see u are getting very frustrated.

Since u run engines that are on there limit and can't risk going lean, u should be able to prove this right? Few photos with a RCU logo should set things straight? Or even rather than arguing and rejecting other peoples opinions go make one and prove us wrong
Old 12-23-2012, 01:26 AM
sparky 25

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Supertib mods nitro engines professionally,

I'm pretty sure he has a handle on how these motors mix air and fuel,

What experience do you have that makes you know better?
Old 12-23-2012, 07:51 AM
supertib

ORIGINAL: sparky 25

Supertib mods nitro engines professionally,

I'm pretty sure he has a handle on how these motors mix air and fuel,

What experience do you have that makes you know better?

+1000000000000000000

I will set up the tests and then we can take a few bets, lets see if these hotshots are willing to put their money where their mouth is...I will put $500.00 on the line right now saying I am 100% correct in how this test will behave .... I am so confident that you may suspect I may have actually done this test in the past and am just sandbagging these guys for an easy win..... so when the time comes let us see if these other guys are willing to match my $500.00 bet.......We will find someone inn the middle to handle the funds in escrow until the results are known..... in other words, talk is cheap boys, put your money where your mouth is..... you want to be all belligerent and rude on these forums ? then lets see what your made of...$500.00 says I am 100% right and accurate in what my tests will show........If you think I am wrong and your so sure of it, then bet me $500.00 on the test...it should be easy money for you , like taking candy from a baby ! after all what do I know about engines and carbs ..I am just some silly guy from Canada who doesn't understand how sensitive and intricate these nitros are to tune !!!!!!

Anyways I am done in this thread...If you clowns still want to argue with me, then make a new thread dedicated to arguing over nitro engines............. Personally I think you guys are in way over your heads, but what do I know eh !
Old 12-23-2012, 09:34 AM
i8tweety
My Feedback: (11)

LAST WARNING. STICK TO THE TOPIC WHICH IS NOT PERFORMANCE ADDERS.

Stop the petty bickering. Stop the insults. Stop trying to make each other look bad. Now.

Merry Christmas,

i8tweety
Car Forums Moderator
Old 12-23-2012, 04:47 PM
phmaximus

Silenced by the man, I don't know guys, apparently we can't debat this here, but it's ok to leave all the comments up??? Go figure that
Rember this thread is about the new savage only, u can't talk about boosting modifying the motor, we can only talk about our feeling... Well ain't that sweet

I like the look of the new hpi gasser, it give me a warm fuzzy feeling

Supertip no harm mate, im keen to see a turbo setup, ther are a few conserns that needed to be adressed, we might have to debat this privately so the moderators don't end it. Sad in a way because I value other people's opinions. After all that's why we are here righ? To read each others posts