Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

RC10 GT differential trouble

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2002, 12:58 AM
Shadow102
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RC10 GT differential trouble

The differential on my gt keeps coming loose and then the engine just revs. When i tighten it back up again i can run it for a couple of laps in my drive way then it loosens back up and just spins nothing is sriped i have a brand new robinson racing diff gear, installed a brand new MIP diff rebuild kit with the drive rings, just installed a new screw and t-nut, and both outdrive hubs are brand new iam not sure if i am doin sumthing wrong if anybody has any info to help thanks
Old 04-24-2002, 10:23 AM
geneh-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How tight are you getting the diff when you tighten it up? You need to hold both outputs and tighten the diff screw until you can not turn the diff gear at all. You need to make sure that when in the truck the slipper will slip before the diff does!

Good luck!
Old 04-25-2002, 11:32 PM
Shadow102

ok loosening the diff didn't do anything it seems that when the diff turns opposite of each other it loosens the dff up
Old 04-26-2002, 01:27 AM
pilothyer
My Feedback: (1)

Default RC10GT DIFF PROBLEM

Shadow..here are a couple things to check then post back if you will......Did you assemble the diff gear and hubs properly? #1-The diff bolt with the 6 balls sandwiched between the two washers must be inserted into the right outdrive hub and the diff spring and t-nut must be in the left outdrive hub...IF THERE IS ANY CONFUSSION AS TO WHICH IS THE LEFT OR RIGHT DRIVE HUB,THE LEFT HAS THE POST STICKING OUT FOR THE BUSHING OR BEARING TO RIDE ON...#2-The 12 balls in the diff gear should press into the holes in the diff gear and be lubed well with diff lube.......#3- The bearing or bushing must be in place in the center of the diff gear and the bolt cover should be pushed in against the allen head side of the bolt in the right outdrive hub so the bolt won't be pushed back out during assembly........#4-Use enough diff lube on the faces of both outdrive hubs to make the diff drive rings stick real well while you assemble the two outdrives together.......#5- (very important) as you tighten the t-bolt and compress the spring, stop and check the diff for a smooth feel as you turn the outdrives in opposite directions, continue to tighten the diff bolt untill it bottoms out the t-nut in the left outdrive hub, it should feel pretty tight but the diff should be smooth when turning the outdrives opposite each other........let me know if you need any further help.....hope this works for you.........
Old 04-26-2002, 01:41 AM
pilothyer

Shadow.....Sorry about such a rather long reply but since you have to remove and disassemble the tranny you can check the idler gear real close......Also if you just want to tighten the diff bolt without removing and disassembling the tranny you should tighten it untill the threaded end of the bolt is about 3/32 to 1/8 of an inch from being flush with the t-nut.........but if the bolt and outdrives aren't oriented properly they will loosen up again....also after running a few times the diff bolt will need to be checked again and probably tightened after a rebuild............let me know how this works out for you............
Old 04-26-2002, 01:50 AM
Shadow102

hmmm...you caught my eye with this statement:

"1-The diff bolt with the 6 balls sandwiched between the two washers"

even when i took it apart the first time i had not seen anyhting like this now those balls are just regular diff balls i am assuming if so i will try that
Old 04-26-2002, 02:07 AM
pilothyer

No those balls are not the same as the 12 diif balls they are smaller............the 6 thrust balls are 5/64 " and the 12 Carbide Diff balls are 3/32 "