Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Oldie/Newbie

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 07:51 AM
umich97

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oldie/Newbie

Hi all, my bro and I had Tamiya Foxes back in the 80s. Just had my first child and want to get back into RC cars with him. I want a kit (fond memories of building my fox back in the day) and a brushless electric motor other than that I'm open. Probably looking for a truck but open to a buggy.

My questions:
What are the best brands nowadays?
What is your favorite car/truck?
Any other advise that will help me research?

Also I'm surprised to see a resale market for my old Fox, not sure if it still works but there are ones listed on ebay and such, may have to put it up for sale and put the money towards the new truck.

Thanks,
Dustin

Last edited by umich97; 09-03-2013 at 08:17 AM.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:12 AM
Sixtysixdeuce

Well, you're in luck. It really is the hayday for RC right now. The technology has matured considerably since 30 years ago, but prices are barely any higher. I remember paying $225 for my first RC10 buggy back in 1994, it still required radio gear, servos and battery, and it didn't even have bearings. Today you can buy an RC10B4.2 factory team (fully upgraded) kit for $220, and you could finish out the build with a brushed motor, electronic speed control, 2 cell LiPo battery, metal gear servo and 2.4 GHz radio for another $100. Or you can buy the complete RTR version for $250, needing only a battery. I use Associated as an example, but it's the same with all other makes.

Now, as for recommendations, it's gonna be more difficult without a budget and intended use mentioned. I understand wanting to build your own kit, but do be aware that you really can't beat the value of the RTR stuff. My suggestion is to do the math and figure out which way is better. If the features of an RTR kit are what you're looking for, you'll save money buying it that way. On the other hand, if you would immediately ditch the motor, speed control, servo and radio gear for better components, might as well start with a kit that doesn't have them. Generally speaking, though, the kits you build will have some other upgraded components compared to an RTR, which is why they frequently cost as much or more, even though you still have to add things.

For us to help you, help us by telling us:

-What you want to do with it
-What your budget is
-If you have a brand or scale preference

The options out there today are vast compared to the '80s, but not much has changed fundamentally. The vehicles are lighter, faster, tougher and cheaper, but you still need to pick the right type and scale for your intended use.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:20 AM
umich97

Uses: Basically around the yard including through the grass as I do not have as much concrete as I did when I grew up. Thats why I was thinking of a truck, My son is very very young right now so basically something that can handle anything around the yard.

Budget: Like to be out the door with everything for under $400 if possible

Scale: My old fox is 1/10th and thinking about the same size.

Brand: No idea, I was 8ish when my dad bought me my Fox so I never researched brands before...open to suggestions, i'm sure there will be plenty of preferences between brands but is there like a top 3 that I should be looking at?

Thanks!!!
Old 09-03-2013, 09:42 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You will want 4wd for the grass, and something probably a tad bit larger.
I would say a 1/8th scale buggy or even a truggy, but the electronics for those can be quite expensive, and kits are far and few inbetween
Old 09-03-2013, 11:25 AM
Sixtysixdeuce

OK, I'd say you're looking for a 1/10 short course 4x4 or monster truck, or a 1/8 scale 4WD buggy, truggy, truck or monster truck.

$400 is a decent budget, but you're probably looking at RTR is you want brushless & battery within that price. It will get you an OFNA TS4 RTR, a couple batteries and a charger:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Ofna-TS4...item4d0d90e572

The Associated SC10 4x4 brushless RTR is $415 shipped here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Associated-9...item4611f5a42b,

It will not include a battery. Traxxas Slash 4x4 can be had with LiPo battery & charger for $450:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TRAXXAS-1-10...item53f6e63423

The Losi 10SCT is a bit higher

Not a lot of 1/10 monster trucks anymore, but the Traxxas Stampede is always popular. RTR with battery for $430:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-1-10-TRA...item4173e80113

Lost of options in 1/8 scale, but about the only quality vehicle that will come in under your budget with brushless is the OFNA LX2e RTR:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OFNA-Ultra-L...item35cb2aa88c

It will still require a $50 4s LiPo, though.

Other than these recommendations, I'd say just search around, especially on eBay. As for cheaper brands like Redcat & HSP, well, let's put it this way: You don't always get what you pay for, but you never get what you don't pay for.
Old 09-03-2013, 11:48 AM
umich97

Thank You!
That gives me a very good starting point! I will check them all out and I appreciate your time!
Old 09-03-2013, 12:13 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

as for MT's
there is the HPI Savage XS I heard that one is decent (don't own one as I own too many MT's already) its sold as 1/12th scale, but its more 1/10th. There were a ton of complaints you will find on it that if you search, but those were off the initial batch that were sold as there were some issues with the electronics failing which was sorted out a while back.

The Wheely king its around $220 but be warned this is brushed it is a pretty popular platform with people who like making scale RC's, and crawlers as its a solid axle monster truck(not many of them around). I have one, and its pretty easily moddable like I added a 3rd live axle to mine for 6wd (again sold as 1/12th scale but the same size as a 1/10th scale stampede)

Stampede 4X4 I have one, and while its not a bad RC its not worth the price IMHO if it was like $75 cheaper(or had a few upgrades for some known issues) I would be able to recommend it whole heartily, but at its current price point I can't say its a good deal.

there is the Axial Wraith kit at $310 and you can probably throw a low cost brushless ESC, and motor in. Would also need a radio, and servo. No idea how this kit is, but I do own a diff axial kit that I like a lot. it would run a lil over $400 minus battery, and charger

Side note a better place to get the lx2e then ebay http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXBWUV&P=ML $20 cheaper, and free shipping(and coupon codes can be used to lower it more)
You would need also a lipo battery, and charger. Batteries you can get some good ones for a low price as turnigy batteries off hobbyking.com are pretty cheap, also if hobbypartz.com has any Gens Ace batteries in they are pretty decent, but the stock of those batteries is more a crap shoot as they sell out almost instantly.