Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

What was the worst RC accident you've had?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

What was the worst RC accident you've had?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 04:35 PM
Cool_cris27

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What was the worst RC accident you've had?

So tell us!! Plane truck car ETC. Tell us the stories the other day i actual trashed my entire rear of my lx2 my batteries died and lost control and my gear case cracked and broke my rear arm holder and bent a screw to a 90 degree angle. just yesterday too. so what was the worst thats happened to you?
Old 01-09-2014, 06:25 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Drove my HPI Recon, and the servo I don't know if it failed or glitched cause it turned left going full speed, and hit a pole clipping the front tire. Damage result: Shattered a rim, broke a front A-arm, lost the spring that held the dogbone in place, broke a shock tower, and broke the piece that holds the arms on to the chassis. Doesn't sound bad till you look at the cost of parts, as EACH ONE OF THOSE PARTS ARE IN A DIFFERENT BAG. Basically to get a RC I paid $110 for brand new RTR the cost not including shipping would have been $120 something just for parts...

Now worst crack up I've done with a RC that wasn't a piece of crap. My jammin X1 CRT. Its maiden run testing out the brushless setup I slapped in it I was trying to record it while driving with one hand. I forgot on my lawn there is a dip before the sidewalk (the grass was kinda overgrown) and going I'd guess around 50MPH I slammed the front bumper into the concrete... Honestly the sound it made I was like MOTHER F.....as I was sure I totaled the thing cause hell I had crackups I couldn't even hear that did a ton of damage. But all that broke was the front skid plate. Or I should say the force from the impact literally ripped the front skidplate completely out from underneath the 4 screws that hold the front differential housing on. In all honesty it lived up to the Jammin reputation for being almost indestructible.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:11 PM
cumminspower5.9
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, the most damage I accrued from an accident was very ridiculous. I was driving my Traxxas Bandit VXL. Was cruising in the dirt waiting for some cars to go by before I did a speed run down the road. Well I made the turn to go for it, and I was doing literally 5 mph, and I hit the telephone pole, and it literally broke the front a-arm hinge pin, and the caster block. And away the wheel went rolling. I was more pissed that I was going so slow and it broke that many pieces going that slow. Ridiculous.

Now another point which shows the true durability of the Savage. I was crazy enough to let my father in law drive my Flux XS. Hauling ass across the local field, he was headed towards some trees, and it looked like he was going to miss it. Well he hit the truck. Crazy part about it was, is that it went up the trunk of the tree about 10 feet, hit the first branch up, and then rode that branch out about 8 feet. Unbroken, but a nice deep gouge in the front skid plate. It was insane. It could never be duplicated again, but man I wish I had it on video.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:26 PM
Ybenjulkay2x

well one of the worst night mare I have when my 450 crash, it crash due to gusty wind, wind picks up, the worst thing is it crash on the bushes, before I found the heli, the battery flame on, after a couple of minutes there's a grass fire. I'm glad I'm not alone flying the heli, other pilot rush to the area and try to help getting the fire off but flame just jump to the
surrounding grass when we try to take the flame out by stepping on it, it end up calling the fire dept, the heli is totaled. Luckily the grass fire is not
that big compare to the next accident when another pilot crash their nitro heli, imagine huge grass fire again, not the same day though but months different.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:24 PM
Cool_cris27

haha nice stories let me throw one in there.

So a long time ago i had an OFNA TF2 i thinks it called the short course truck one. I was driving by some mountains and pretty much my best off road spot at the time and i always told my self to becarful with the cliff thats like 100ft drop but its fenced off but has like 12 inches of clearance my car fit right under. I was testing out a new Bl system drove right under it trying to break the loose dirt just made me slide off the cliff I cracked both gear cases my chassis bent i broke 3 arms i couldn't find my battery my spur gear was like screwed up and then i found a new place to off road and swore to never go there again
Old 01-10-2014, 04:11 AM
Foxy

First RC, a Tamiya Frog, back in the mid eighties, I was carrying it to a place where I used to run it (I was 9/10 years old by the way), when a couple of local bullies mugged me for it. I eventually got it back, only to have it totalled by the school garbage truck a few days later, pancake style. I know he saw it, he knows he saw it, claimed he didn't. Ass.
Old 01-10-2014, 04:16 AM
MrShinyPig

Wr8 flux, hit hidden treetrunk at about 45mph, front left wheel came off and shattered everywhere, cost about £85 to fix and 4-5 hours since im a nub
Old 01-10-2014, 08:27 AM
On2_n_On4

Few accidents since 1987,
but the one I still can't forget., happened a little over 5 years ago.
Hitting my neighbor in his brand new BMW M5 with a baja 5T, right in front of my house.

Coming from a long WOT pass, it was just too late for the stock baja brakes.
Broke his front passenger side fender liner and scratched right corner on the front bumper.

I felt like a total A&%H*&E. I really didn't know what to say.

I told him to get an estimate, that I was going to pay for everything!
even asked him if he wanted to call the police and make a report.

He took a look at the car one more time, he even had to back up a little for me to take the baja from under the front tire.

His answer:
You know what? we are neighbors., don't worry about it.

I was like WHAT???? nah man let me make this right, it was my fault.

he didn't take a sigle dime.
He even took some of the blame for not stopping when he saw me (NOT LOOKING) from the other end of the street.

I couldn't believe it, took the baja inside and didn't use it for weeks.
lets just say, looking 2 or 3 times to the left and to the right before you hit the throttle... is not enough!!

After that; every thanksgiving, 4th of july, or christmas... I'm at his front door with either food, or liquid boost
Old 01-10-2014, 08:46 AM
turok007

i let my girlfriend drive my modified tamiya rough rider. it hit the curb then a lamp post then went into a hedge. the front end came off and that broke into many pieces never to be seen again. and this is a funny story of my mates brand new marui jeep. he spent a while painting it all up. well on the first run full speed it hit a tree root and the driver flew out into the air (very funny) as the shell smashed into many pieces.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:18 AM
DieHarder

I have about two stories. I crashed my HBX Bonzer Cross Tiger (Tamiya TL-01 copied monster truck version) into a plastic candy cane in my aunt/uncle's driveway at about 35mph. The truck hit it and pushed it over a bit so it was like a ramp. Then it went up the candy cane into the air about 10-15ft and came down and landed front bumber first on the concrete. It bounced a back flip and landed on all fours. It ripped out the left rear A-arm pin hole where it attaches to the chassis, snapped both front and rear bumpers off, dented and cracked the back part of the body, ejected part of the front C-hub, and stripped a spur gear. I'm still without bumpers, I JB welded the rear A-arm mount and drilled hole through the JB weld for a new pin hole, taped the inside of the body where it was cracked, replaced the C-hub parts, and replaced the spur gear. (Which currently has been stripped again.) It was quite the crash, and still without bumper, I haven't fully recovered, nor made a huge effort to...

My other crash was quite recent. I took my Parkzone Radian up and it was about 30mph winds. I flew 2 flights and landed. Then I went up again, but when I threw it UP above the blueberry bushes, the wind came from the side, pushed it over (rotated it as if viewing from the top side) while it was beginning it's climb, and the prop pulled it down into a blueberry bush at full throttle. The blueberry bush completely ripped the entire tail assembly off the fuselage (Rudder, elevator, everything) while the rest of the plane went nose first into the ground. It's still broken in my room waiting for a glue job, or a new fuselage, elevator, decals,. etc...
Old 01-10-2014, 10:14 AM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Not related to surface vehicles but I flew an aerial target into a stationary M1 Abrams tank.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:03 PM
Red Raider
My Feedback: (86)

The worst crashes always involve more than one aircraft. My brother and I were flying a demo on July 4th (1999 I think). Got to feeling our oats and did the famous Thunderbird cross-over. One of us was supposed to be out front with the other trailing. I thought he was trailing, he thought I was trailing. As it turns out, just as we crossed the runway threshhold, he called for the break. We hit almost exactly spinner to spinner at a perfect 180degrees intersection. Both airplanes were completely destroyed along with both engines, and most the of the radio equipment in both planes. Confetti showered down for probably 10-15 seconds, with one wing panel rotating in the wind and landing probably 300 yards from the point of impact. It was impressive. The crowd went wild with many asking us if we could do that trick again. Uh, no. Not today. Show's over.

BTW - that was the first of 4 midairs that we've had over the years destroying 7 aircraft. Only 1 of the 8 involved ever flew again.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:19 PM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

My worst was my Cloud Dancer aerobatic airplane. I was learning triple rolls and wound up smashing it into a paved runway at full speed. Destroyed not only the airplane but a Saito 50 4-stroke engine and even the electronics. I almost gave up flying that day.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:37 PM
willig10

I was flying, and to save money instead of going to the flying field I went to the high school parking lot. Took off and flew around. Had a good time. In the middle of flying the wind changed directions. So while flying, I walked to where I would be during the landing and allow the airplane to land upwind and me being in the "correct" position. There are light poles in this parking lot and they are roughly 100 to 150 foot high. This is a large high school and they use the parking lot as a parade field with the band. Also it was on a weekend and no-one was there except me and my daughter.

So I set up to land and tell myself. "self, do not hit that light pole on the left". I turn final and all is going good and then as I follow the plane (going from left to right on final) I see the light pole to my right and think to myself. Man this is going to be close. Aircraft is settling on final and "BAM" the outer right wing tip about 6 inches from the outer edge contacts the pole. I immediately get on the throttle and both rudder and aileron full left defelction. I was able to stabilize the bird for about 6 seconds. I had time to think that I may be able to salvage this. Then the right aileron disconnected from the airframe and held on with just one hinge. This made the aileron pivot 90 degrees to the wing and it acted as an air brake. As such over she went inverted and full throttle from about 75 foot high.

Impacted the pavement and completely disentegrated. Even the nose cone was completely destroyed. I wound up finding a muffler for the engine (Super tigre) and was able to get the engine running again. However the batteries, servos and receiver were completely destroyed by the impact.

I was kinda pissed at first but then later on was able to laugh about it. I mean it is not every day you have a midair and complete loss. At least my daughter was a witness. It was one of the best flying planes in my stable and was a solid plane. Key word "was"

Glenn
Old 01-10-2014, 12:50 PM
stoneenforcer
My Feedback: (23)

banana hobby
Old 01-10-2014, 01:34 PM
iflyrcmodels
My Feedback: (10)

Great Planes Extra 330 1/3 scale, the old kit version modified from plans to give 3d potential. Advanced the throttle on take off. Made it to about half throttle just as the tail come up, and nothing. Complete lock out. No response from fail safe either. She lifts off pretty as you please, makes it about 30 ft off the ground, not quiet enough to clear the trees at the far end. You woulda thought I was carrying dynamite in that sucker. Pieces went everywhere. The engine was about 50 foot from the tree. One servo survived unharmed, two extensions, the tires and the motor surprisingly. The rest had stripped gears, leads ripped apart, tank was punctured, battery packs damaged beyond use etc.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	extra.jpg
Views:	496
Size:	133.6 KB
ID:	1956098  
Old 01-10-2014, 01:38 PM
iflyrcmodels
My Feedback: (10)

Originally Posted by iflyrcmodels
Great Planes Extra 330 1/3 scale, the old kit version modified from plans to give 3d potential. Advanced the throttle on take off. Made it to about half throttle just as the tail come up, and nothing. Complete lock out. No response from fail safe either. She lifts off pretty as you please, makes it about 30 ft off the ground, not quiet enough to clear the trees at the far end. You woulda thought I was carrying dynamite in that sucker. Pieces went everywhere. The engine was about 50 foot from the tree. One servo survived unharmed, two extensions, the tires and the motor surprisingly. The rest had stripped gears, leads ripped apart, tank was punctured, battery packs damaged beyond use etc.

To make matters worse, a friend was recording the flight. Just as I began the take off roll his camera battery died. Would been nice to sent in for a Crasher video lol
Old 01-10-2014, 05:53 PM
StevL

Wow, a good buddy of mine spent almost a year building me a plane with 104 inch wing, powered with a twin cylinder DLE111, all high end JR servos, Fromeco batteries, switches, etc. Dang thing used over 20 rolls of ultracote.....she was a beauty.

I called my buddy to tell him I'm making the first flights, he said he would be out right after work. I put three flights on the plane with no issues, check it out closely after each flight. Did very basic aerobatics as I wanted more run time on the engine.

My buddy and builder shows up, we fuel it up, look it over once again, I take off with no issues. I made a turn to pass back down the runway at about 150 to 200 feet of altitude. All of a sudden a severe delamination of the carbon fiber prop (made funny noise for a second or two), the vibration cause all the tail feathers to separate from the plane, they all fell off within 2 seconds, a catastrophic failure.

I pulled the throttle back, had zero control, she went straight in like an arrow The crash was so severe even the switches exploded apart along with battery packs, etc. Only two servos destroyed but bent the 4" brand new White Rose aluminum wheels. The engine was saved after a expensive service and parts replacement.The only good thing was Chris saw it fly for a minute or two. I swear he stepped back and walked away from the flight line in disbelief.

That was my sad and expensive crash of all time.

Steve

Last edited by StevL; 01-10-2014 at 05:57 PM.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:04 PM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

Ugh. We have to go here? LOL.

My Exceed Rally Monster's failsafe failed (thanks Schumacher)and the car took off at about 50 MPH, darted across my yard, and hit the front GLASS door. Wasn't a pretty sight.

The first crash with the Rally Monster was worst. It, again ran off ( no failsafe, but this motivated me to get one), and hit the neighbor's friend's car parked in front of my house, and it popped a tire. I didn't care, because they were parked IN FRONT of my house. Didn't even explain what happened.

Last edited by collector1231; 01-10-2014 at 08:11 PM.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:38 PM
Red Raider
My Feedback: (86)

This wasn't my crash and I don't want to give enough info that I might embarrass a good friend. It was shortly after turbines had started becoming popular. My buddy was making an inverted high speed pass right down the center line. When flying inverted, down is up and up is expensive. There's still a 15 foot diameter burn mark on the concrete.
Old 01-11-2014, 03:23 AM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How come the little crashes cause the most damage? Ive had some massive crashes over the years with no breakages. but some of the little ones, different story.

Great example... Losi 5ive, these things are extremely durable for a 1/5 truck, but good old me busted a front suspension from a 2 foot jump... it was one of those bike jumps the kids do backflips off, the ones that go straight up.,,,, and yep I over corrected and landed on the nose.
It slightly damaged the eyelet for the front bumper , bent the suspension pin and snapped a tiny bit of the arm.

U know what the worst part was..... getting the bloody thing back to the car that was 150m away. Normally I would lift it up by the rear bumper and wheel it along on the front wheels... but because I busted the front I couldn't to that... So I had to lift it by the front wheels and wheel it on the rear wheels....sounds easy right?... no... because if u lift the front over 30cm the back bumper digs into the dirt and u go from wheeling to dragging...so theirs me bent over like Quasimodo pulling this car for 150m... Not fun at all

Another all time great... same car...
I was bashing the 5ive out the front of my mother in laws on the road, and I was playing with the t/b servo's end points and brake balance to get the rear wheels to lock up on the Bitumen.
A few cars drove past so I had to pull over and some guy walking down the street stopped to ask a few questions about the car... while I was waiting for the traic to clear and talking to the guy the 5ive was on the footpath idling with the brake on.....seems harmless right?

well as I let of the break and touched the throttle it started to take off... faster faster and faster. lucky I have a kill switch and killed the motor before it hit anything.

having a look, I fried the T/B servo. and would slowly go full throttle all by it self... if u know the prices of 1/5 servos u will understand why I was so devastated... and it was all my fault... sad day indeed
Old 01-11-2014, 08:53 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Originally Posted by phmaximus
How come the little crashes cause the most damage? Ive had some massive crashes over the years with no breakages. but some of the little ones, different story.

Great example... Losi 5ive, these things are extremely durable for a 1/5 truck, but good old me busted a front suspension from a 2 foot jump... it was one of those bike jumps the kids do backflips off, the ones that go straight up.,,,, and yep I over corrected and landed on the nose.
It slightly damaged the eyelet for the front bumper , bent the suspension pin and snapped a tiny bit of the arm.

U know what the worst part was..... getting the bloody thing back to the car that was 150m away. Normally I would lift it up by the rear bumper and wheel it along on the front wheels... but because I busted the front I couldn't to that... So I had to lift it by the front wheels and wheel it on the rear wheels....sounds easy right?... no... because if u lift the front over 30cm the back bumper digs into the dirt and u go from wheeling to dragging...so theirs me bent over like Quasimodo pulling this car for 150m... Not fun at all

Another all time great... same car...
I was bashing the 5ive out the front of my mother in laws on the road, and I was playing with the t/b servo's end points and brake balance to get the rear wheels to lock up on the Bitumen.
A few cars drove past so I had to pull over and some guy walking down the street stopped to ask a few questions about the car... while I was waiting for the traic to clear and talking to the guy the 5ive was on the footpath idling with the brake on.....seems harmless right?

well as I let of the break and touched the throttle it started to take off... faster faster and faster. lucky I have a kill switch and killed the motor before it hit anything.

having a look, I fried the T/B servo. and would slowly go full throttle all by it self... if u know the prices of 1/5 servos u will understand why I was so devastated... and it was all my fault... sad day indeed
tell me about it that one I mentioned that went full force into concrete with 0 damage few weeks later I was breaking it after a speed pass it was going maybe 1mph clipped a pole front arm snapped in 2 lol I was like seriously it hit concrete head on going 50 $5 in damage, and could still drive clipped a pole going slower then walking speed I had to order $20 in parts... No where near as bad as yours, but it seems like a pattern on various other RCs too.
Old 01-11-2014, 09:42 AM
pcarluvr

Back in the mid 80's, I had the Tamiya Frog. The hobby store had a new already painted ZZ Top body that was identical to the one on their album. I saved my money cutting grass to buy it. I took my time to mod the Frog to get the body to work on it. When it was done, I set it on a shelf cause I really didn't want to hurt the body but after a while, I got the urge and wanted to show it off. I went out front in the street and just drove it around, slow and cruising. To this day, I don't know why, but I looked away for a brief few seconds and at that very moment, a neighbor was backing out of their driveway in their big black Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham and ran up onto the front end crushing the front suspension and body. I Screamed bloody murder (as if she ran me over) and started yelling at her. She looked out the window of the car and asked if I was okay. I said yes but you are running my car over. She said, "Oh, looks like I hit your toy". I told her to pull forward and guess what she did? Yup, backed up and completely finished it off! My new body, wasted, everything else, wasted AND since I had cut the antenna mast down cause I didn't want it sticking out of the body ( anyone who had earlier Tamiya's know that the antenna mast was pretty heavy steel mast that could also act as a roll bar) had punctured her tire. She got mad, grabbed me by my shirt and dragged me to my house where she demanded my parents buy her a new tire! Well, my dad was not someone to be yelled at and that is a whole other story!!
Old 01-11-2014, 12:01 PM
dbacque
My Feedback: (3)

My most expensive RC accident didn't even include having a transmitter turned on.

I was building a Great Planes Super Skybolt kit. The cabane struts are made from some heavy duty music wire and the bends must be exact in order to have the correct incidence and to even be able to put the wing on. I kept trying to tweak that bend but couldn't get it to exactly 90 degrees. Finally, I put the two pairs of Vise-Grips back on and put every ounce of strength I had into it the bend. Laid the part back down on the plans and it was perfect. HA!

When I got up to walk away from the building table the whole room spun around me. I couldn't walk and I almost couldn't stand. Even after sitting for 20 minutes or so, I still couldn't walk or stop the room from spinning, I couldn't even sit in a chair without holding on to keep from falling out of it. I started to drive to the hospital but in a moment of clarity I realized "If you can't walk, what makes you think you can drive?" So I called for an ambulance. I spent the night in ER where they thought I'd had a stroke and I spent 2 days in the hospital having many expensive tests run. They finally decided that I had not had a stroke, it was vertigo. After looking at the MRI, the doctor said "by the way, did you know you have a sinus infection?"

Seems that when I put everything I had into bending the wire, the blood pressure spike combined with the sinus infection which had already caused a swelling of the inner ear, caused me to lose all sense of balance. In addition to the cost of the ambulance ride, the ER visit, the hospital stay, countless tests and the doctors, there was also the cost of 3 weeks off from work. Add to that the fact that laying down with my eyes open made the room spin to the point where I was nauseous, so I spent two weeks doing nothing but laying down with my eyes closed "listening" to TV. As bad as watching daytime TV is, think of only listening to it!

The story does have a happy ending. The Skybolt is beautiful and I've been flying it for over 2 years now. But it definitely was the most expensive airplane I have ever built in my life, even a very fine scale turbine powered model would have cost less!

Dave
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sb 45.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	195.8 KB
ID:	1956469  

Last edited by dbacque; 01-11-2014 at 09:01 PM.
Old 01-11-2014, 12:10 PM
dbacque
My Feedback: (3)

Delete duplicate post

Last edited by dbacque; 01-11-2014 at 09:03 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.