Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

New guy, need suggestions!

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 11:42 AM
Wasney

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New guy, need suggestions!

Hello everyone. My dad has a Traxxas electric R/C car and I have been playing with it lately and fell in love. I have a crappy walmart brand one that I got in a secret santa and it just isnt doing it for me. So I like fast and it has to drive on any terrain. Also durable. What are suggestions for a new guy. Nitro or electric? Also what exactly is Nitro? Is it like a gas powered but takes a certain type of gas? Which is easier to work on and clean. I also know they run like $500 and then some for most RTR cars. Well, I have a son and bills so I dont exactly have $500 to buy one. Although if I did best believe I would have one. lol What would be best for a cheaper one. I have looked on ebay and saw some running for $100 to $200 in auction starting off. I would like a 1/8th scale r/c car. I believe my dads is 1/8th and I like the size. Any suggestions are great! Or if someone has a used one that they would be willing to sell for cheap let me know. Even if it is just the, correct me if I am wrong, chassis, wheels, and body, I can always buy a motor separate. I think I prefer the electric, but hey you never know. Sorry for the long post I am just new to this and anything helps.
Old 06-05-2015, 05:36 PM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

Suggestions? The Traxxas cars, like your dad has, or the ECX cars, are great vehicles to start off on. A Ruckus or Stampede sounds like your cup of tea if you want to run it everywhere with gobs of ground clearance. Go electric first, and try nitro later. Nitro is a fuel mix of nitromethane and other stuff, most common being a 20% nitromethane mix. Electric is much easier to work on and clean. $500 is not needed, even thought thats what new guys think. An ECX truck ($180) and LiPO/charger ($75) will get you a combo that will last you for a long time.

Ruckus; http://www.horizonhobby.com/ECX03022...FUo6gQod5DYAkw

LiPO; http://www.atomikrc.com/collections/...-with-uni-plug

Charger; http://www.atomikrc.com/collections/...attery-charger
Old 06-05-2015, 05:46 PM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Welcome to RCU, and the addiction Wasney.

Fore ease and simplicity of plug-n-play you would want to get an electric RC. If you have a budget of around $300, the doors will be open to a lot of choices for your pickin'. I'm guessing your dad had some sort of Traxxas truck that looked bigger than what you expected for 1/10 scale. I'm with collector1231, the first thing to came to mind was an ECX Ruckus RTR (Ready-To-Run) monster truck. You have a choice of 2wd or 4wd (a bit more maintenance for extra drive line parts & price jumps up a little also). But anything RTR, with bigger tires, from Traxxas, ECX, or Arrma, HPI would be a good starting point.

Only thing to be aware of in the RTR packages is the battery/charger or the lack of one/both. I'm pretty sure the ECX models have OK batteries and chargers with their RTRs, but one has to read the small print many times as to what comes with a RTR package . Some Traxxas' Slash/Stampedes RTRs come with and some come without battery/charger. I would also stick to the well known on-line hobby stores (Horizon Hobbies, Tower Hobbies etc.) when first starting out, unless of course you have a hobby shop near by; then by all means support them .

One more thing, some ESC (Electronic Speed Controls) that come in the RCs are LiPo (Lithium Polymer battery) ready; in which case when you are ready, to jump up in performance, you won't have to run out and buy a new speed control. Possibly check with SMC Racing when the time comes for LiPo power/performance.

Last edited by RustyUs; 06-06-2015 at 01:38 AM.
Old 06-05-2015, 07:51 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well as you are on a budget I would not suggest a nitro as a decent nitro will set you back $300-$350 alone plus the gear to start it, and a gallon of nitro last I saw was $45-50 (its been a few years since I bought a gallon). You really can't skimp on nitro vehicles as if you try and cheap out you will run into issues fast, and have a hell of a time getting it running.

This is the complete opposite of electric as a lot of the cheaper gear is comparable to the way more expensive things. Only thing you need in electric is a decent chassis then the rest can be done on a budget with what some of the high end racers consider no-name equipment(which IMO some of which functions better then the expensive stuff that costs 4X more).

As for ease... Nitro has a hell of a learning curve at the start, but once you get past the stuff, and gain experience its quite easy(warning I've seen many people not get past the basics it looks way easier then it initially is). Nitro is great for people that like to tinker, and won't give up till they get it working.
Electric has the opposite curve you can get started with little knowledge, and learn as you go. All you need to really learn at the start is how to charge, plug a battery in, and squeeze a trigger. After that comes learning different battery chemistry, different motor types, gearing, charging safety, etc...

As for models my knowledge is a bit out of date on them as what I own is discontinued, and I haven't really kept up with what is new.
One I know that is still sold that I do own is the stampede 4X4 its a decent RC, but kinda costly for what you get.

BTW Traxxas doesn't have an 1/8th scale so its more then likely 1/10th.

Last edited by SyCo_VeNoM; 06-08-2015 at 02:01 PM. Reason: bleh just noticed one line made no sense
Old 06-05-2015, 10:38 PM
agugxidona

You really can't skimp on nitro vehicles as if you try and cheap out you will run into issues fast
Old 06-07-2015, 03:29 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Originally Posted by agugxidona
You really can't skimp on nitro vehicles as if you try and cheap out you will run into issues fast
Thank you bot, that will eventually start trying to do crappy advertising for terrible sites no one has ever heard of, for copy/pasting something I typed without even quoting it...
Old 06-07-2015, 06:21 PM
collector1231

Kill it with fire before it reproduces!
Old 06-07-2015, 10:20 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here I'll say it..... Nitro's require a whole different skill set for tuning and espically diagnosing problems.

I recomend nitros to teenagers and above that have someone to mentor them and be there mechanic, or to people that have a mechanical background and can self teach.

my learning curve cost me 3x piston and liner sets at around $70 a peice.... But I now I'm very confident in tuning and diogoising, since I have had 2 other nitros for a few years that were still running when I sold them
Old 06-10-2015, 06:50 AM
EXT2Rob

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good suggestions. The only thing I would add would be to also get a set (front and rear) of aftermarket bumpers from RPM or T-Bone Racing. The bumpers on all the RTRs I've ever seen are purely cosmetic, or may as well be. A good bumper set is going to save you from breakage. If you're going to be running around trees or other pole-like objects, putting crash barriers around them will save your butt, too. My track is laid out around several trees. My buddy and I took blue sleeping pad foam and cut them lengthwise into 8-10in strips and put them around the base of the trees, then put small safety cones between the tree and the foam. Saved us many times.

2wd is as simple as it gets, and easy to maintain. 4wd of course has a few more bits of hardware to make those front wheels turn, so you'll have two more differentials (total 3) to maintain, but 4wd is easier to drive than 2wd and is more capable over rough terrain. 2wd will teach you to drive better as it requires more skill.

Try to buy your RTR without the included battery and charger, as they are usually crap anyway and only add to the cost. Also, don't be too surprised when the steering servo craps out. It's one of the items the makers tend to cheap-out on to keep the cost down. It's the most common part that fails first on all RTRs. Just replace it with a $30 Hitec when it does.
Old 06-10-2015, 04:01 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Originally Posted by phmaximus
Here I'll say it..... Nitro's require a whole different skill set for tuning and espically diagnosing problems.

I recomend nitros to teenagers and above that have someone to mentor them and be there mechanic, or to people that have a mechanical background and can self teach.

my learning curve cost me 3x piston and liner sets at around $70 a peice.... But I now I'm very confident in tuning and diogoising, since I have had 2 other nitros for a few years that were still running when I sold them
So very very true outside setting gear mesh no skills really transfer from one to the other. They are similar, but very very different beasts like for instance electric motors you don't want going over 175 degrees F where nitro engines you need around 300 degrees F to run.
Old 06-10-2015, 06:56 PM
Jeremy Z

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Traxxas Stampede XL-5 is what I started with, and I would recommend it to others. $240 seems kind of high for what you get. Nice and durable and will go just about anywhere. Add a spare battery and a fast charger and you'd be good for a while; until you need another body and get the hankering for some better tires. It took some beatings before something finally broke.

I'd probably try an ECX Ruckus if I were starting new again.
Old 06-17-2015, 11:58 PM
Wasney

I have looked into the ecx ruckus. And I am still considering it. But I have been keeping my eye on ebay and I saw this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Associated-R...item1c549007e6

Is it any good? It seems complete, I feel like if I can get it for less then $150 I will be getting a great deal since it cost about $500 new. I am just bothered that it doesnt say if it is 4x4 or brushless. But all the electric mgts I can find are brushless and 4x4.
Old 06-18-2015, 07:44 AM
EXT2Rob

Hard to go wrong with Associated. It IS brushless, you can tell by the THREE wires going to the motor. And it is 4wd. Hard to tell by th pictures, but you can just make out drive axles going to the front wheels, and the rear drive shaft going to the rear diff. And sounds like it had light duty. I'd go for it.
Old 06-19-2015, 05:32 AM
Jeremy Z

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There's a thread over at ultimaterc about the Rival. I can't recall if it is good or bad.

However, at the current bid, (~$150) it is worth it just for the electronics and tires/wheels.

Radio set: $40
Tires/wheels: $60
LiPos: $50 (assuming they're good)

The seller has a 100% feedback rating. Maybe ask him if there's anything wrong with it and what problems he's had and why he's selling it. He won't want to wreck his feedback rating be deceiving anyone.
Old 06-19-2015, 11:17 AM
Wasney

And it is at $270 lol now I saw a redcat volcano I am considering
Old 06-19-2015, 11:17 AM
Wasney

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Redcat-Racin...item419821d599
Old 06-19-2015, 11:18 AM
Wasney

nvm just realized it is 1/10 scale.
Old 06-19-2015, 11:21 AM
Wasney

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HPI-Racing-S...item43de86ab05

I saw someone say HPI is a good starter. Im going to have to watch this one.
Old 06-19-2015, 03:43 PM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

You're liking the big boy, BIG SCALE stuff eh? Bigger scale = bigger price tag most of the time. I will have to admit I do love the way 1/8 truggies handle rough stuff. It's like driving an old Cadillac with wide arms and big tires. I'd tell ya to look at a Yeti XL or Ofna's Hyper MT Sport, but I forgot your plans were to keep the price tag under? I'm having issues with parts that came in my normal sized Axial Yeti kit ...more on that later in another thread.... when I get the right parts to finish my build.

More than likely you will have to purchase a used larger scale RC if you want to keep it within a lower budget. Like in your first post Wasney, you said you liked what you thought was 1/8 scale, but in actuality was 1/10 scale Traxxas. Maybe take a step back and reconsider 1/10 scale trucks to buy something new rather than play the "I wonder why the dude's selling that thing" game.

Believe me, I know what it's like to toss and turn at night thinking about all the cool stuff out there nowadays. Do some searching on anything you are thinking about purchasing. Look at reviews; video reviews, or threads with reviews in them. It took me over six months to finally pull the trigger on my new ride. Let me tell you. I don't have the money to be buying RCs left and right; I went from thinking one platform was gonna be right for me and ended up getting something that I never thought to much of. I asked myself many times what I wanted my new RC to do. Hopefully soon, I will share my thoughts with my Fathers Day gift to myself.
Old 06-19-2015, 04:22 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Originally Posted by Wasney
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HPI-Racing-S...item43de86ab05

I saw someone say HPI is a good starter. Im going to have to watch this one.
I'm betting the dude has a $550-$600 reserve as in his eyes its almost new.

Most people who post auctions like that want almost full retail for their used vehicle.

Side note Savage flux good truck have one myself
Its great if you got large open areas, and ramps for jumps as they can take a royal beating, and not break.
Only problem is that the wheelie bar HPI makes for it is a completely worthless piece of crap, but there are DIY adaptations of ones off other vehicles that people came up with that require minimal modification to get to work, and work 10,000X better. I think I have a Stampedes Wheelie bar(I know its Traxxas not sure 2wd or 4wd) strapped to mine

Also they drive like a cinder block on wheels look at vids of them to see if you like it. Some people love them, some hate them. In all honesty they handle more like a normal monster truck at those monster truck jams

Last edited by SyCo_VeNoM; 06-19-2015 at 04:29 PM.
Old 06-19-2015, 05:56 PM
Wasney

So then what about the redcat i posted before. Is that one good?
Old 06-19-2015, 07:10 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

honestly I wouldn't touch it, but then again I would have no need lol

might want to look up reviews though
Old 06-20-2015, 03:34 PM
Wasney

I looked up the volcano and its like $130 for the same one new. Id rather pay $50 for the new one if i picked it. The reviews online kind of make it seem bad. I guess it is strong but has problems turning. Ill keep saving and checking ebay for something better.
Old 06-21-2015, 02:35 PM
Wasney

http://m.ebay.com/itm/291497157987?nav=WATCHING_ACTIVE

I found this baby. I like the rustler. And it is brushless. I can purchase my own battery and charger for it too.
Old 06-22-2015, 07:33 AM
EXT2Rob

The good thing about Traxxas is, if you have a hobby shop nearby, they will have parts. If a hobby store carries only one thing, it'll be Traxxas. And, Lots of companies make parts for them, like RPM, T-Bone Racing, etc, that are better than the OEM parts. So finding parts for it will be no problem. Looks decent. If you can get a good price on it, go for it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.