Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

steering problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 09:32 PM
josser9

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default steering problems

I have a red cat racing blackout xte pro & the steering continues to get messed up after a sharp turn or i jump it......can anybody help? Whats causing it?
Old 03-29-2016, 01:57 PM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

What exactly is "messed up"? Please describe the problem better. My first guess is your servo saver is too loose.
Old 03-29-2016, 02:23 PM
josser9

everytime I make a sharp turn it loses center (pulls to either side) then I have to recenter it untill next time. I replaced the servo & the servo saver(from the spring to the solid metal piece)
I appreciate you taking the time to help me out. As you can probably tell im a newbie to the hobby so any info you throw my way is greatly appreciated
Old 03-29-2016, 05:03 PM
RustyUs

Out of all the Redcat models, the Blackout XTE Pro was looking pretty good in my book. That one caught my eye and looked pretty well built. I looked at the manual and I didn't see a servo saver at all. Just a steering bellcrank, linkage, and servo. Not unless this is the servo saver:
You said you replaced the servo. Did the stock on just give up on you?
First thing I do for a steering issue is take the servo out of the equation. Meaning, undo the linkage to the servo and operate the steering system by hand and check for binding. I'm all for servo savers, but some designs just don't make sense to me. What's highlighted in the picture above is new to me. How much force is needed to engage the servo saver?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	saver..JPG
Views:	806
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	2155036  
Old 03-29-2016, 05:36 PM
RustyUs

I could see people using a zip-tie to make that "C" clip/spring (in highlighted part of picture) have a little stronger grip on the servo horn. I haven't used one since the late 80's...Kimbrough large heavy duty/extra strong servo saver maybe worth a try. That would be the last straw before I'd go without a servo saver and just use a good metal gear servo with gobs of torque.
Old 03-29-2016, 07:38 PM
josser9

Thats exactly what I was talking about in your highlighted pic.
1) i thought that maybe the servo was the problem but I was wrong, the problem continues.
2) im not sure how much force is needed for the servo but all the gears are metal. What I cant seem to find metal is the hilighted part to the left in your pic.
I will check out the Kimbrough & definitely try the zip tie, thats a great idea.
I appreciate your insight on this & i'll keep at it till I figure it out. After reading uour input im really starting to think its that highlighted piece to the left, its a plastic piece that slips onto the metal gear of the servo. Why they would make that piece plastic is beyond me. I see other r/c brands have servo horns that are metal/titanium but im not sure if they would fit my servo, are all the servo gears(the gear that horn/saver slides onto) universal or do they come in different sizes?
Old 03-30-2016, 03:17 AM
RustyUs

Originally Posted by josser9
I see other r/c brands have servo horns that are metal/titanium but im not sure if they would fit my servo, are all the servo gears(the gear that horn/saver slides onto) universal or do they come in different sizes?
You have to count the splines (teeth) on the top of the servo to find out what will fit. Some servo horns will have a mark on them "F"(Futaba) 25 teeth, "J", etc. etc. 25 tooth count is a common spline number with servo horns that is needed. Hitec servos use 24 tooth a lot of times and Airtronics/Swana stuff uses 23 tooth horns in general.