Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Getting Started

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2019, 03:29 PM
Rc for fun

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting Started

First off thanks for the add.

I'm wanting to get back into the hobbies after a very long absence. Some friends and I have a few cheap trucks we race around indoor and are looking to upgrade.

I've done a fair amount of internet research but have some questions on brands. I don't know enough to know what are established brands with easy to get parts for and what are just a waste of money. I'm looking for recommendations on names I can trust other than say Losi, Traxxis, Associated, and Arrma.

For example, I found a car made by Tacon that looks nice but have never seen that name before.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 12-29-2019, 05:01 PM
bill_delong

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts

Tacon is a rebrand from LC Racing, they are decent quality and you can get parts on eBay so you're not stuck with a single distributor (NitroRCX). I am not particularly fond of anything smaller than 1/10 due to motor overheating issues, limited tire selection and general durability concerns. If you're looking save some money buying through NitroRCX, then consider the Sunfire which is rebranded by HSP, a 1/10 buggy will be a lot easier to upgrade electronics too.

Since you're looking to "upgrade" what is your budget? Are you wanting to get into a race grade brand?

Probably the least expensive race grade you can get on the market right now is the PR Racing 401LW which has 4 dealers in the US right now giving you a wide range of parts support, more info on the buggy here:
REVIEW: PR Racing 401-LW

If you're not into building the kit yourself, then I can help build the car and install all the electronics for you so that it's a RTR to your specs, shoot me an email and I can work up a quote for you if you'd like

Old 12-29-2019, 05:34 PM
Rc for fun

Thanks Club Racer
We are just looking to be competitive with each other on a flat concrete 25' oval right now as it is cold here in WI. We aren't as concerned about budget as we are value per dollar. Some of the cars we have looked at are the latrax short corse and 1/16 slash. But mainly I'm looking for sort of a list of brands that have support and a good reputation.

As far as 1/10 I have my eye on the Arrma Big rock.
Old 12-29-2019, 06:05 PM
bill_delong

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts

25' oval is the outside dimension of the track? That's insanely too small for 1/10 to reasonably work, the 1/10 oval track in our area is more in the 30'x60' range (outer track dimensions), here's a reference with some 1/10 Tamiya Euro Trucks we're running which would be another good option for concrete oval racing on the cheap because these kits include both ESC and motor, simply add your own servo, radio and battery:

https://www.facebook.com/stephen.kyl...4620248916679/

Regards,
Bill DeLong

Last edited by bill_delong; 12-29-2019 at 06:10 PM.
Old 12-29-2019, 06:38 PM
Rc for fun

Bill

I'm not looking to run 1/10 indoor. That was just a response to the first reply I recied. That would be for outdoor bashing not racing.

We are only looking to race for fun in whatever space the few of us have available. Nothing too serious. We are looking for more around the 1/16 scale. We just cleared a spot in the shop last week to try it out. The shop is 30' x 40'. The size of the track is dictated by how much stuff we feel like moving outside that night. Which in turn may be dictated by the weather outside. I would guess on average the space we will use is 25'-35' long.

Still I appreciate any information and will be looking at the truck you recommended as soon as I post this.

Thanks

Last edited by Rc for fun; 12-29-2019 at 06:42 PM.