Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Spoiler/wing

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2020, 01:28 AM
Oli_rc7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spoiler/wing

Does a spoiler affect the car in mid-air?
Old 04-26-2020, 06:59 AM
mugeyman

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

hi Oli rc7 well to tell you yes it does effect the car in mid air especially outdoors in windy conditions it can alter the landing of the vehicle , it effects how it will land nose up , down , landing side ways due to a cross wind , drifting l or r , some people alter the wing as putting holes in the back part wing for the air to pass through it , to help make it a little more aerodynamically stable, also too large a wing can slow the vehicle down , on the ground and in the air , on the ground you might gain some better traction because of the down force of the wing , but you
will lose speed and direction when landing too ok mugey
The following users liked this post:
Oli_rc7 (04-27-2020)
Old 04-26-2020, 12:01 PM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Yes it does. Size, shape, and speed will all be apart of the equation. The evolution of the stadium truck spoiler is a telltale sign of something happening during flight. There must be something to those gurney flaps besides looking weird at the angles they're bent.
The following users liked this post:
Oli_rc7 (04-27-2020)
Old 04-27-2020, 12:21 AM
Oli_rc7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok thanks everyone
Old 04-27-2020, 05:23 AM
bill_delong

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts

Just to clarify, a "Spoiler" is attached to the body and a "Wing" is detached from the body where the down force of a Wing is tunable and Spoilers are not tunable in RC.

While I agree that a spoiler on a Stadium Truck body can present about equal down force as most wings on the market, you can't adjust the height/angle like you can with "Wing Mounts".

I have lost both spoilers and wings during a race and the cars become essentially "undriveable" to where my laps times drop way off pace and I just need to pull the car from the track and make necessary repairs.