Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Looking for a buggy

Old 10-13-2003, 12:35 AM
Justintoxicated

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for a buggy

jsut starting to look for a new buggy, I can;t get one quite yet, but im looking for somethng nice that comes without an engine. I would like to throw my 21BB in it.

Is the Ofna ultra MBX R2 any good?
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXAXV2&P=FR

how would it compaire to other buggys. Easy to hop it up?
Old 10-13-2003, 05:26 AM
nitrofan

Default RE: Looking for a buggy

Yes, the Ofna MBX is an excellent buggy, and will be pretty fast with a 21BB on it. My friend and main bashing buddy has an MBX Pro and a Savage. He swapped the force 25 from the MBX into the savage and put the Savage 21BB onto the MBX. Of course the MBX lost a little speed with the 21BB, but not much. It still hauls @$$. As for the MBX chassis, it is one of the best starter buggies in my opinion. the only car I recommend to beginners over the MBX is the XTM X-Terminator. I dont think the X-Term is available without an engine, though.
Old 10-13-2003, 09:38 AM
Kuma
My Feedback: (1)

I liked the MBX R2, if you do get that car, I suggest the LX kickup chassis for as little as $9 on ebay, it'll handle jumps better and custom shock towers from jeepurzs on ebay are worth it. The PBS suspension on it is solid and the car is very durable, you'll like it. I used a GS Racing 21B01 motor and it went pretty fast (almost keeps up with my LHS' MBX5 w/ WS7II).
Old 10-13-2003, 01:03 PM
studysession

I have OFNA Hyper 7 PBS - Can't go wrong with almost any 1/8 scale buggy as long as you stick with good name brand like: OFNA - Mugen - Kyosho.. Yes the one you put a link for is a good choice.
Old 10-13-2003, 03:14 PM
Dale Gribble
My Feedback: (4)

I got the Xterminator last week. I am 3 tanks through break in, so I don't have much of an opinion yet. It was assembled well, and for what it's worth I really like it... Stay tuned. Break in will be finished by next weekend and I will run it around.

(This is not specific to this website)- but anywhere you go, people will counter opinion everything and anything. Sort of Coke vs. Pepsi.

For example, I needed some new glow plugs for the Xterminator since I got the wrong ones for break in. I went to a mom and pop type hobby shop and asked for glow plugs. 'Whats it for?' 'Xterminator' I replied. He rambled on for 45 minutes about how XTM sucks, the Xterminator sucks, Hobby people sucks, and their parent company sucks.

I was like ***? I just spent $350 bucks on the thing, and so far I like it. Even if he has a great shop and good products, he should have kept his mouth shut. I will not return there now. Even if the Xterminator does suck, I may buy an OFNA later on- but not from him. Don't tell me my $350 car sucks- let me find out for myself!

I guess the moral is- if you find something you like, get it based on how you feel about it because 300 people will tell you it is great, and 300 more will tell you it sucks.

There are exceptions, but I think all of these cars are pretty good, fast and fun with good part support.
Old 10-13-2003, 03:57 PM
studysession

Xterminator is what it is called in America. Everywhere else calls it the Rex X - it is the same car.

Recently someone I know who works for a magazine reviewed a Rex X for the mag. I am waiting to see it printed. It is supposed to have pictures I took in it where he raced the car at.

Looked like a nice car. I got some cool pics of it jumping and of the guy working on the car. In america it has a different body and different colors. But it is the same.
Old 10-13-2003, 05:00 PM
Kuma
My Feedback: (1)

X-Terminator is a cool buggy, seen one go around here and they look just as good as any other buggy out there, I'd say it's on par with a 9.5 or Hyper with some of its Deluxe updates. What DOES suck though is the parts and upgrade availability, only having it ordered through Globalhobby and Hobbypeople and Hobbypeople has fairly high shipping rates. If you're in a place like Las Vegas then no prob, there's two Hobby People there.
Old 10-17-2003, 02:40 AM
Justintoxicated

How does the one I picked compaire to other like the 9.5 ? I know it can't be as good but is it upgradable the same way?

What are the differences?