Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Reorganizing the car forums- your input needed

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Reorganizing the car forums- your input needed

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2004, 12:09 AM
i8tweety
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Reorganizing the car forums- your input needed

We are considering reorganizing the Car forums to make them better reflect the needs and wants of our members.

Personally, I'd like to see manufacturer based sub-forums rather than product specific. For example, I think a Traxxas forum is more appropriate than a T/E Maxx forum as it will include the stampede, T&E Maxx, and new Revo.

Without your input, it will be hard to make this the best RCU for all of us. Please post your comments and suggestions below.

Thanks,

i8tweety
Car Forums Moderator
Old 05-29-2004, 12:15 AM
Mxracer45

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Reorganizing the car forums- your input needed

LOL you post again, i will post again[8D]

"quote"

Tweety i would believe to agree with you. Because i own my own forum, it would sound as a good idea but i didnt do it because the regular monster "stadium truck" and "monster truck" boards would seriously be dead. But now that you think of it, a forum like this with sooo many members your idea sounds good. I would personally like too see specific boards for each manufacturer. XTM, thunder tiger, associated, losi, traxxas, etc etc...... It would be much easier for ppl to find out what and where they are looking for things witha forum with so many boards and members. Just hope it gets done soon i would like to see.

Good luck, and the site is amazing as it is now, but will be even better soon Good luck!
Old 05-29-2004, 11:26 AM
Jocke88

Personally I quite like the way it is now. The reason for this is that we are a mixed crowd that all read the same "onroad nitro car" forum. If the traxxas people go one place and the Kyosho some other place then a sense of community is lost. I like to hear the input of different people regardless of the car they own. I can understand the benefit of having specific forums but there is a down side. If say my Kyosho engine breaks, and I post in my forum then someone who owns a traxxas 4 tec and knows all about engines may over look my question.
Dunno just my 2 cents
Old 05-30-2004, 03:36 AM
Der Landsmann

Hi at all,
I would say the same as "Jocke88", the forum is like the way it is now, because as he said you can talk about your car without beeing only specific. I would say you can change some things, but not make manufacturer based forums. What I would personaly prefere is that you seperate car questions from engine and other problems. e.g.: in "Onroad Nitro Cars" you would only talk about cars and not about the problems you have with your engine and tires, I would seperate the cars from their technical side.

But that's only my opinion.
However all in all I would'nt make manufactuerers based forums.
Old 05-30-2004, 08:13 AM
i8tweety

Perhaps I didn't explain my thoughts clearly. I wasn't suggesting removing the general general forums, but rather making the very specific sub-forums less specific. Currently in the monster truck forums, there are the following sub-forums : T/E Maxx, HPI Savage, Associated MGT. I was suggesting changing them to Traxxas, HPI, Associated (along with adding other MT manufacturers if the following is large enough). These sub-forums were set-up to allow product specific questions/comments.

Again, please provide your comments and suggestions below.

Thanks,

i8tweety
Old 05-30-2004, 10:10 AM
Jocke88

Well if you put it that way, sounds good, if not better!!
Sorry didnt quite grasp your initial idea...its all clear now and sounds good!
Old 05-30-2004, 03:49 PM
Mike Ledbetter

Default RE: An idea

COuld we have a separate forum for Electric Buggies?

Regards and thanks for your efforts.
Old 05-31-2004, 04:46 AM
Der Landsmann

Ohh, sry I didn't understand the question that way. []
If you only want to specify it in the sub forums, then your idea is very good!!!

And sorry again!
Old 06-01-2004, 12:48 PM
Neil77

That sounds good. How about an area for the ones of us that like to race oval? Wiether it is dirt oval, asphalt oval, carpet oval, or whatever. Just a place for the oval guys to share information.
Old 06-01-2004, 12:57 PM
i8tweety

Who races dirt oval? Here's one of mine.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ur52204.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	138468   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw57587.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	139.7 KB
ID:	138469   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88311.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	138470  
Old 06-01-2004, 01:03 PM
Neil77

Mine....check out www.texasdirtoval.com
Old 06-01-2004, 02:05 PM
WckdDudeMan
My Feedback: (1)

you have a nitro stadium truck section but no general stadium truck section this needs to be fixed IMO

wicked
Old 06-01-2004, 02:23 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

When Anthony reorganized before he did a great job
But I think you need it set like so

Stadium trucks
-------nitro ST
-------elec ST
on-road cars
------1/8th
------1/10th nitro
------1/10 electric

and so one, there are a few categories missing still
either that or have the sub categories in the electric section
Old 06-01-2004, 02:46 PM
cooch1189
My Feedback: (1)

scale_only_4_me-RCU that would be an awsome idea to organize it that way so no matter what the brand or model you can still get info and give info to people easier even if you dont have the same type of car or truck
Old 06-02-2004, 09:57 PM
strtsmt18
My Feedback: (-1)

i went out about 10 min. and i have a locked dif in my rustler 2.5 long story short jumped when i landed it snaped my half shaft [X(][X(]

p.s. I was showimg off made me look baddddd[:@][:@]
Old 06-06-2004, 01:38 PM
lozaning

I am not sure how many people have them but where would some one with a nitro rally car post. it is on road and off road.
Old 06-08-2004, 09:04 AM
frailcow

I think the forums shouldn't get too specific. Sure its great for people posting, but the people answering questions aren' always going to dive down 3 forum levels and happen to look into a specific breed of car. This is the same reason I voted no to the battery forum. I think having broad forum topics is fine.
Old 06-08-2004, 09:29 AM
mvigod
Banned

broad forum topics breed more interaction. the flip side is that they can also make what you are looking for too hard to find.

the hardest part is finding the best balance between these tradeoffs so there is activity, interaction, things are on topic enough and easy to find.

it isn't easy and is the hardest part of running a forum. It is the reason most forums never make it to first base and then never thrive. The amount of breakdown is also a function of activity. I see boards copy RCU exactly from day one and they never fly. Too many forums for a startup board.

Anyway...give these tradeoffs a thought. I'm sure our current setup isn't perfect right now and needs some tweaking but we want to ensure interaction and not make it so those interested in certain things have to pop into 6 forums instead of 1 or 2 in order to see their threads of interest (but still easy to find stuff!)
Old 06-08-2004, 08:42 PM
frailcow

You're right, its tricky to get the balance. Having a 'quick search' (like the traxxas boards) in the corner of each page would make it easy for people to find things in a broader forum environment.

I went for a cruise around to some of the more specific forums (RC Car Radio forum etc.) and it is a shame to see how many big fat red 0's there are in the post replies column. Most of these are questions I can answer and would have done so if they were in the general car or electric car forums.
Old 06-10-2004, 11:05 AM
tkalogiros

Tweety,

I think it would be negetive to intermesh the forums. RC questions can be extremely specific. These questions can only be answered by a specific group of peers. The way the monster truck forum is currently setup, you can get a quick answer to any question. If I own a savage, I dont really want to hear RS4 SS questions. They simply do not apply to savage owners. Why should I have to stumble upon all this useless text. You should consider further segregating the forums. If you do not, it willl change the site to a liesure reading site rather than a powerful RC tool which is what it now is.
Old 06-10-2004, 11:25 AM
i8tweety

Additional clarification on my reorganization suggestion:

Maintain current car forums (general discussion, drifting, monster trucks, etc)

Replace current extremely specific sub-forums with more generic sub-forums
For example, within the MT forum, there are the Maxx, Savage, and MGT. I'm suggesting the titles change to Traxxas, HPI, and Associated. Also, if demand is there, add additional ones such as CEN, XTM, etc where product specific questions can be asked.
Old 06-10-2004, 11:26 AM
mvigod
Banned

we don't intend to intermix monster trucks with street cars. we can break things down as much or as little as you guys think will work best.

the example about the radio questions shows that too many forums can sometimes inhibit getting answers but makes things easier to find.

Many forums = easier to find
Many forums = fewer answers and less interaction
Fewer forums = harder to find
Fewer forums = more answers and interaction

so the tradeoff is always how many forums you break things down to in order to make things easy to find but not inhibit the activity.
Old 06-12-2004, 05:12 PM
Unspoken

i think you should break up the car section into electric car and nitro car sections like you did with planes.and there should be an off topic thread where you can talk about anything else.
Old 06-24-2004, 04:14 PM
Tigger N. Bennie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: RCadmin
the example about the radio questions shows that too many forums can sometimes inhibit getting answers but makes things easier to find.
Myself, I don't believe the "radio" questions are a problem but more of a member's failure to search. There is a radio forum on "RC Car Talk" forum as well as "Radios, Engines, Batteries, Clubhouse and more" which also has specific manufacturer sub-forums. Of course, you already know that though radio questions seem to be found in any area of "RC Car Talk".

Have you visited the "Mini & Micro RC Cars" section? I suggested this during the last reorganization and I'll suggest it again, the Mini-T needs its own subforum because there are simply so many threads dealing with the Mini-T. Many times, members either don't search, fail to properly search, or simply start a new thread because they don't want to read past posts or expect an answer "right now".

I've also noticed that even when there is a specific subform, i.e. T-Maxx or Savage, members still ask "brand" questions on the other non-specific forums. Of course, I anticipate that will probably happen no matter how many specific or general forums are set up.
Old 06-25-2004, 06:32 PM
snort

ORIGINAL: i8tweety
Without your input, it will be hard to make this the best RCU for all of us. Please post your comments and suggestions below.

Please don't bury forums within forums, wasting time looking and digging isn't fun.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.