Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

NITROUS SYSTEM FOR RC CARS!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 12:20 AM
Roy Dietsch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: NITROUS SYSTEM FOR RC CARS!!!!

ORIGINAL: 125cchyperman

But the discussion is about weather or not they work on 2 stroke's. But I think we all know that it's about getting more air into the engine at pressure's higher then the outside atmosphere. But it's weather or not it works on a 2 stroke or not. Most people say that it doesnt but there are the few that say that it does.

But good pic though.
My comments were directed towards others that seemed to lack basic knowledge of the systems. 2 stokes can be turboed, they are just more sensitive to the tuning due to the backpressure requirements.

Thanks,
Roy
www.beatracing.com
Old 08-11-2007, 10:14 AM
burrd91

my dad and his boss used to drag sleds and it doed work on 2 stroke engines
Old 08-11-2007, 10:30 AM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: burrd91

my dad and his boss used to drag sleds and it doed work on 2 stroke engines
I think the point of this thread is NOS for RC 2-stroke nitro engines will provide very little gains, if any at all. Those dragsleds for one are gasoline engines and our glow engines, particularly nitro engines, use a much more volatile fuel.

Now, in gasoline engines, 2stroke like your sleds you mentioned, will definitely benefit from the shot of n2o for various reasons.
Old 09-15-2007, 10:19 PM
fly_nitro_rc

Has anyone that has posted on here actually used one of these nitrous kits? If you have never done it yet, THEN YOU DONT KNOW if it will work or not. I just bought the entire kit for my Duratrax Street force GP2 with an OS .18 CV-R engine. So at my expense we will see how well it works, and i will make sure to post again after a sucessfull run. By the way- name an engine that wouldnt run better with nitrous? Nitrous is just an oxidizer, and engines need just a few things to run- compression, heat, fuel and oxygen- If an engine runs slower with less oxygen (which they do obviosly, unless your engine gets faster and faster when you plug the throttly....right) then an engine with more oxygen should run faster to a certain extent, unless the engine is already at its maximum power ratio considering the oxygen. Dont forget too- the nitrous charge is much cooler than the outside air, which creates a denser oxygen charge. Oh, and by the way, I just recently graduated from a national automotive technical college, and have had hands on training with the use of nitrous oxide so i do know a thing or two about it. -I will post with results when the time comes!
Old 09-15-2007, 10:46 PM
REDisFASTER

I just wanted to add the layman explanation for the use of nitrous oxide, since many people don't understand how exactly it works, and its effects on a 2-stroke nitro engine.

Nitrous is just adds more oxygen to your combustion chamber. The more air you get in, the bigger the 'bang', the more power you get. That's IF you can contain the added O2. The problem with 2-strokes are that the intake AND the exhaust ports are usually open at the same time, thereby, any oxygen coming, in, usually comes out as well if its pressurized or forced into the engine. Sure, the exhaust port closes first, so you do get that 'little bit' of nitrous oxide in there, but just doesn't justify the $150-250 spent on the R/C nitrous kit.

And I agree with the guy on page 1, NOS is too commonly used that even snobs who don't know anything about mechanics call it that. NOS = Nitrous Oxide Systems, its a company, just like NX (Nitrous Express), and whatever company name the guys with the purple bottle is called.

Anyway, going back on your topic, I hope to see your review on this. A friend of mine purchased both the RCInnovations supercharger kit for his Savage, as well as Nitrous Express' kit. He hasn't tested the NX kit yet, but I can safely say, RC superchargers are a waste of money. The performance gained is so unnoticeable that its basically having dead-weight on your vehicle.

Anyway, hope to see your review on this.
Old 09-16-2007, 08:55 AM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: REDisFASTER

Nitrous is just adds more oxygen to your combustion chamber. The more air you get in, the bigger the 'bang', the more power you get. That's IF you can contain the added O2. The problem with 2-strokes are that the intake AND the exhaust ports are usually open at the same time, thereby, any oxygen coming, in, usually comes out as well if its pressurized or forced into the engine. Sure, the exhaust port closes first, so you do get that 'little bit' of nitrous oxide in there, but just doesn't justify the $150-250 spent on the R/C nitrous kit.
Actually, as the piston is going up in our RC nitro engines, all the intake ports close first. When the piston is coming down, it is the exhaust port that opens first.

Anyway, going back on your topic, I hope to see your review on this. A friend of mine purchased both the RCInnovations supercharger kit for his Savage, as well as Nitrous Express' kit. He hasn't tested the NX kit yet, but I can safely say, RC superchargers are a waste of money. The performance gained is so unnoticeable that its basically having dead-weight on your vehicle.
Yep, RB Innovations is an abo****e waste of money. It is not worth th $ ~150. Even if our 2stroke nitro engines could benefit from supercharging, the RB Innovations POS will not cut it. It is not even a proper supercharger design.
Old 09-16-2007, 09:01 AM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: fly_nitro_rc

Has anyone that has posted on here actually used one of these nitrous kits? If you have never done it yet, THEN YOU DONT KNOW if it will work or not. I just bought the entire kit for my Duratrax Street force GP2 with an OS .18 CV-R engine. So at my expense we will see how well it works, and i will make sure to post again after a sucessfull run. By the way- name an engine that wouldnt run better with nitrous? Nitrous is just an oxidizer, and engines need just a few things to run- compression, heat, fuel and oxygen- If an engine runs slower with less oxygen (which they do obviosly, unless your engine gets faster and faster when you plug the throttly....right) then an engine with more oxygen should run faster to a certain extent, unless the engine is already at its maximum power ratio considering the oxygen. Dont forget too- the nitrous charge is much cooler than the outside air, which creates a denser oxygen charge. Oh, and by the way, I just recently graduated from a national automotive technical college, and have had hands on training with the use of nitrous oxide so i do know a thing or two about it. -I will post with results when the time comes!
Since you have experience in automotive tech, I suggest you do some empirical experiments. Get an X-Dyno (made by Brian Kinney of Nitrodyne) and test your engine with and without the NOS on your 2stroke nitro engine. X-Dyno costs about $6000, but if you dont want to spend that, check out ABmods.com, he has an X-Dyno and he can test your engine with and without your NOS. I want to see dyno charts of the results. I want to see just how thr curves change with and without the NOS.

The reason why I say use X-Dyno as the measuring device is because it is the most stringent device out there. Other dynos are not so consistent and produce much higher numbers than our little engines could ever dream of. Additionally, X-Dyno is more proliferous than any other dyno, it is slowly becoming the Standard. XRC uses X-Dyno, Axial has an X-Dyno, and not only that, memebers here have modded engines and sent them to someone with an X-Dyno to have them tested.
Old 09-16-2007, 09:05 AM
andrewtexas123

Any videos of this in action? Seems pretty intersting!

Andrew
Old 09-16-2007, 09:09 PM
Grits

The last NO2 systems for cars I looked at were filled with nitrous oxide with a minute amount of sulphur dioxide to make it un breathable by idiot humans looking for a buzz. There were 2 solenoids and spray bars in the kit, one for the nitrous and one to dump extra fuel, needed for the extra oxygen made available, usually gasoline. They were a little tricky to dial in but once there they were awesome. I see no mention of extra fuel on the rc systems. I'm with SAVAGEJIM on this, show me an honest dyno graph.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:02 AM
RCUSEE

i could imagine N20 working on giant scale motors anyone here with such a system ?
Old 11-28-2007, 06:54 PM
curcica

hi all im interested in buy a nice new motor for my HPI RS4 EVO 3+ what engine is good for a swap... i want more HP
Old 11-28-2007, 08:46 PM
SManMTB

ORIGINAL: Grits

The last NO2 systems for cars I looked at were filled with nitrous oxide with a minute amount of sulphur dioxide to make it un breathable by idiot humans looking for a buzz. There were 2 solenoids and spray bars in the kit, one for the nitrous and one to dump extra fuel, needed for the extra oxygen made available, usually gasoline. They were a little tricky to dial in but once there they were awesome. I see no mention of extra fuel on the rc systems. I'm with SAVAGEJIM on this, show me an honest dyno graph.

Theoretically you would need extra fuel because with NO2 you can burn more fuel because you add more oxygen.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:19 AM
rican25

just for giggles.... I had a pocketbike with nitrous on it!!! and the guy that said you wont gain any top speed was probably right! it did boost acceleration low to mid range but top end it wouldnt do a thing. and at 15second burst tops! just wasnt worth it. fun but wouldnt recommend it. just thought Id throw my hat in.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:04 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i read a review of rcinovations nitrous system in a mag(sorry cant remeber which one). they gave it a good review(but then again, they will never say a product sucks)
they said the note of the engine changed, and accel was improved. and over their testing the engine stayed cool.
it seems like a cool product for the guy who already has everything that he can put on his nitro truck.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:55 AM
FlyingHigh 400
My Feedback: (21)

if you want power get a big block
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...deoID=14659525
Old 11-29-2007, 09:57 AM
FlyingHigh 400
My Feedback: (21)

i love my big blocks .
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ur52077.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	814638  
Attached Images     
Old 11-30-2007, 01:19 PM
muti369

i have a freind that drag races an ntc3 wit a custom mini exahast driven turbo and he also runs nitros the motor is an os speed tuned rb moded tz .12 wit out the turbo or nitrous it only does 65 mph thats slow compared to the almost 90 with all the power adders
Old 11-30-2007, 03:14 PM
Grits

if the engine was topped out at 60 mph and turning 38000 rpm then the add ons boosted the rpm to 57000 rpm@90 mph.....
makes one wonder
Old 11-30-2007, 03:23 PM
nothinbetr2do

ORIGINAL: Grits

if the engine was topped out at 60 mph and turning 38000 rpm then the add ons boosted the rpm to 57000 rpm@90 mph.....
makes one wonder
those kinda rpms would blow the connection rod