Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

??? for OFNA Dominator/Pirate owners.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

??? for OFNA Dominator/Pirate owners.

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 08:40 PM
ASSOCIATED_DRIVER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ??? for OFNA Dominator/Pirate owners.

I bought a used 1/8 Dominator yesterday and but have not done a complete check up yet. It's my first 4wd rc, so I have no clue to how to check if the drivetrain is good. I rolled the truck back and forth and all the shafts were moving and both spur and clutchbell also rotates smoothly. I rotated one wheel on the rear and the other side rotated the opposite direction, which is good- correct?. Same thing with the front wheels. But when I rolled the truck with just the rear wheels (front wheels lifted off the ground), the front wheels are barely moving, and when I rolled the truck just with the front wheels, the rear wheels doesnt move at all. Is this normal? What could be the problem? Is this just a diff adjustment of some sort. All the shafts from the center spur turns except when only the front wheels are turned. Also when I turn the spur gear with my fingers, all four wheels will turn but front wheels feels like its slipping.

Any link to the manual would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Old 10-10-2006, 12:22 AM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: ??? for OFNA Dominator/Pirate owners.

Ofan web site has the manual listed. To check the drive train hold 3 wheels from turning and try to turn the one not being held. If it turns other then taking out the slake you have a problem.
Old 10-11-2006, 03:10 PM
ASSOCIATED_DRIVER

Got the manual, does not really go into details about the differentials. The manual only has break in, starting, running and maintenance guidelines and parts list and exploded veiws.

So I held three wheels and turn one, and among the four wheels the two front wheels turned. Definitely something wrong there, but when the engine is running, with wheels off the ground all four wheels turns but the rear wheels seems to be faster and you can easily hold the front wheels and stop it from turning but the rear still turns. If I hold on the rear wheels to stop it, all four will stop.

So there is definitely slippage on the front diffs. Any ideas what needs to be replace and how much, I heard some diffs are adjustable and maybe it only needs some tightening.

Just want to get some ideas before I take it to the shop.

Thanks!
Old 10-13-2006, 09:14 PM
i8tweety
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you sure you're getting "slippage" on the front diff? Check the setscrews on the outdrives from the diffs. It sounds to me (from your description) the diffs are "loose" (light grease giving alot of differential action), which is not a problem.

The best way to verify there are no diff problems, hold 3 tires still and rotate the third. The spur gear should rotate. If you also hold the spur gear stationary, you shouldn't be able to rotate the fourth tire. Check this with each tire (it will take two people to do this right), and if a problem comes up, let us know.
Old 10-13-2006, 09:26 PM
ASSOCIATED_DRIVER

I took it apart last night and you are correct, the front diffs were loose compared to the rear diffs, also the planetary gears are starting to wear out on one side of the gears. I rotate them 180 degrees so the good part of the gears are the ones engaged, cleaned them out and put new grease on them, now its pretty tight, cant turn one wheel anymore when holding the other three. Just dont know how long it will last, but now I know I will need those gears replaced soon.

Thanks!