Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

changing a electric into nitro

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 10:32 AM
dasweets

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default changing a electric into nitro

i have a Associated RC18MT RTR and i would like to change it into an nitro can anyone help me
Old 10-18-2006, 02:19 PM
ross_jsy

Default RE: changing a electric into nitro

what do you want to know...might help if we had a bit more info
Old 10-18-2006, 05:52 PM
RURC

Good luck
Old 10-18-2006, 06:54 PM
ASSOCIATED_DRIVER

You are looking at major mods there, making your own parts & changing some plastics to metal etc. There is no available conversion kits for that purpose (Because its not practical)

Its not going to be easy and most likely be costly too.

If you just want to go faster, I would suggest brushless and Lipo combo.

If you really like a 1/18 scale nitro cars, take a look at the Xray NT18T.
Old 10-19-2006, 11:43 AM
ross_jsy

oh i didnt realise it was the 1/18th one....soz i wasnt concentrating. there is a guy who has already done it. ill find the link.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:41 PM
125cchyperman

You can change a nitro to electric but to change an electric to a nitro will be hard. The strains on a electric is not as much as the strain on a nitro and you will have to make things heavy duty. Like the plastic chassis you will have to make some kind od metal more then likely aluminum. As the plastic will not be able to handle the stress's of the nitro and the heat will easily melt the plastis. There are several other things you will need to do and in the end it would probably be cheaper just to buy a nitro rather then convert.
Old 10-19-2006, 04:17 PM
ross_jsy

i know someone who has a schumacher 1/5th scale(or 1/6th) i cant remember) that was electric but he converted it to nitro. im not sure if there was a kit to convert it or what. ask the question in the 1/18 scale forum. they will probably be more helpfull
Old 10-19-2006, 06:20 PM
stovepipe

It's a lot of work but I'm building what I call is an RC10GT-Maxx. I had an old Gt frame laying around and a rear and two speed tranny from a t-maxx and combined them. The frame was hard to make as I had to extend it. What I used is called acetal and it comes in 12"X 12" X 1/8" thick and up. sheets from MSG Co.. I used the 3/16" sheet. It did have to be reinforced with aluminum bar stock to keep the clutch from sliding back and fourth on the spur gear. Actually I just got it running last saturday and it is "SICK!" It's so fast it won't hold the track. So what I have to do is add weight. So now I'm in the process of building a steel frame early model stock car body from 3/16" brake line tubing and I intend to face it off with aluminum chimney flashing.

Actually if you have a lot of parts you could make a nitro car from an electric. All you need is the front end assembly.

I've seen every American Hot Rod show with Boyd Coddington and I'm tossing around a web site called American Nitro. This site will be aimed at the home built nitro cars. Every pic I've seen is just something out of the box with some up grades. Lets try something different for a change.

If anyone wants to see some pics of the RC10GT-Maxx e-mail me: [email protected]

My next project will be installing a Jato tranny to a Nitro rustler chassis.
Old 10-20-2006, 11:50 AM
ross_jsy

there are a few people who have made cars from scratch. not just bolting 2 different cars together. now that takes skills to do. search and you'll probably find some results on here
Old 10-20-2006, 09:48 PM
bozla

Even asking the question shows that you dont have the skill to do it.