Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

first truck questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 05:46 PM
bmeints

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default first truck questions

Hi
I’m new to large scale rc’s (current rc is radioshack micro zipzaps car). I want a 1/10 scale or larger 4x4 truck with a gas motor(Not Nitro). Can you convert a commercial 1/10 scale(traxxas, lst or otherwise) to fit a gas motor(chainsaw or weedeater engine)? I am in school for my cnc machinist certificate so I might have some time in school to make parts. Should I build from scratch? What are my options? Who makes a good kit? Any reason why I shouldn’t use a chainsaw motor? What modifications might help a chainsaw motor perform/work better? Do you know of any good websites to learn more? Any thing in particular I should look for in the design or designing of a car? If I would scratch build a truck, any recommendations for suspension type(wishbone, live axle, or etc), steering(who makes a strong setup), or drivetrain(belt, chain, or gears and shafts)? Any ideas would be appreciated. I don’t have a lot of money so I want a good idea of what to look for and how to build before I spend it. In short, if you could custom build a gas truck, how would you do it? Thanks

Ben
Old 10-18-2006, 07:14 PM
ASSOCIATED_DRIVER

Default RE: first truck questions

Most (ALL) 1/10 scale in the market runs on Nitro, Gas models are usually 5th scale and larger, 10th scale cars/trucks are too small for a wacker/chainsaw engine, too much torque and parts would break easily and would not fit. Most wacker/chainsaw engines are around 21cc and up which is too big for 10th scale, even 8th scale.

Custom build from scratch and even RTR would cost a lot, especially if you are talking 5th scale or larger. The hobby is expensive. How much are you to spend?

Seeing that this is your 1st post, I am assuming you are new in RCU, I am positive that there threads of the same topic already, just use the search function.
Old 10-18-2006, 09:14 PM
hands without shadows

I've seen a t-maxx stretched out with a weedeater motor to make it buggy like. If you're ok with a truck and not a monster truck you could get an lst an stretch the chassis to fit a motor. keep in mind the engine driveshaft of the lst is perpendicular to the chassis to it might be hard to get it right, the t-maxx is shaft driven so its easier but its drivetrain is a whole lot weaker.
Old 10-18-2006, 09:19 PM
hands without shadows

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_28...tm.htm#2893529