Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Servo Takin Apart

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 10:26 PM
Rx79394

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Servo Takin Apart

Ok don't ask me how I did this bbut accidently I took apart my servo so I got about two questions. Number 1... Does it matter how my internal servo gears sit when I put the cap back on and also my next question is is I got a TC3 and as I move the servo to control steering I can't remeber if I push it so far left it will lock in by basically having my turnbuckle go out and then back in (know what I mean)? If you dont then ask me what you will need me to clarify on.
Old 10-18-2006, 10:58 PM
Taffey

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Servo Takin Apart

Question #1:
It does matter how your servo gears go back in. Generally, there will be only one way to do it so that your servo will work. So, if your servo works when you put it back together, you're good to go.

Question #2:
I think you're asking about the action of the steering rack on your TC3. You should have enough servo throw so that your steering rack will move fully to the end both to the left and to the right. However, you do not want your rack to bind up too much as it will eventually damage your servo. The best way to eliminate excess binding in your steering is to adjust the EPA and/or DR on your radio. If you do not have a transmitter with these adjustments, your next best option is to move the ball end one hole closer towards the pivot point on your servo horn.

I hope I answered your questions, and I hope that all makes sense...
Old 10-18-2006, 11:16 PM
Rx79394

ORIGINAL: Taffey

Question #1:
It does matter how your servo gears go back in. Generally, there will be only one way to do it so that your servo will work. So, if your servo works when you put it back together, you're good to go.
OK well I got my servo back together but I can't test the servo since I lost my charger.. so that is on my wish list.

ORIGINAL: Taffey

Question #2:
I think you're asking about the action of the steering rack on your TC3. You should have enough servo throw so that your steering rack will move fully to the end both to the left and to the right. However, you do not want your rack to bind up too much as it will eventually damage your servo. The best way to eliminate excess binding in your steering is to adjust the EPA and/or DR on your radio. If you do not have a transmitter with these adjustments, your next best option is to move the ball end one hole closer towards the pivot point on your servo horn.
When you mean "BIND" up you mean going too much to one side? That is what it does but once it reaches 1 side the servo can still keep moving so I was wondering If I took my remote and I go all the way to that side will not stop at the end of the rack and ruin the servo or will it just stop at that end of the rack and stop my servo for trying to go past the rack?

All help is appreciated and I would like to say thanks! If you need me to clarify any problems, just have a shoot and ask me.

~Dylan
Old 10-18-2006, 11:38 PM
Taffey

Hey Dylan-

Yes, by "bind" I mean when the steering rack travels all the way to one side and stops up against the post, but the servo keeps pushing. This is what may eventually burn out your servo. The first thing you need to do before reinstalling your servo horn is to center the servo: Power up your transmitter and put the trim in the middle, then turn on your receiver. Your steering servo will now be centered, and you should install your servo horn pointing straight up. Next, pop the ball cup on your steering linkage onto the ball end on your servo horn. Your steering rack should be dead center and your wheels should be pointing straight ahead. If this isn't the case, you'll need to adjust your steering linkage.

If your steering rack is still binding on one or both sides after all of the above, you will need to adjust the EPA or servo horn ball end as I described in my first post. It's better to lose a tiny bit of steering than have your servo poop out on you.

Old 10-18-2006, 11:55 PM
Rx79394

ahh ok so I need batteries LOL. Thanks for the help.
Old 10-19-2006, 12:29 AM
Taffey

Ya, you definitely need a power source.

You're welcome.