Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 10:51 PM
KillerKiwi
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!!!

I bought a Muggy the other day, I tried to get it running, It would idle for a little while and then die and every time I touched the throttle on the transmitter it died instantly. This is starting to get really depressing, I've been working on it for a while now. Now it won't even start. I can't tell wether it's too rich or too lean this is my first nitro car and I don't know how the engine is supposed to sound when it's set right. Please help me!
Old 10-18-2006, 11:07 PM
Taffey

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: HELP!!!

Sounds like it has an air restriction problem and/or it may be flooding. Make sure your air filter isn't clogged with fuel or other gunk, or simply remove it for troubleshooting purposes. (Don't forget to put it back on later!)

If that doesn't fix your problem, you might try a new glow plug. If that doesn't work, try leaning up the mixture 1/8th turn at a time, or simply reset your needle valve to the factory settings.

Just keep at it and you'll eventually get it running.
Old 10-18-2006, 11:33 PM
morkendi

set it back to stock settings on motor with all screws... Its in the first few pages of the manual. From there, since its your first nitro, start you motor and face it against a wall or sit it on a box the where the wheels dont tuch anything. If it stalls, turn the main needle a 8th of a turn clockwise, and try again. Use small amounts on the needle. Do not go in more than 1/8th turn at a time. If you have to leave the glow plug ignitor in it to keep it from stalling right now, that is fine. I would't in more than half a turn right now you will tune it more as you break in.

Once it will stay started, Idle it through 2 tanks, if you have a temp guage keep checking it to make sure it doesn't go above 200 to 220 degrees. Let it cool down between the tanks for about 10 to 15 minutes atleast. After that, put it on the ground and run it around but between 1/4 to 1/2 throttle for one tank. Let it cool again than do the same thing going between 1/2 to full throttle. Once this is done, you are ready to tune for running.

When tunning for running, concentrate on main needle till you get that strait. Just turn in 1/8 turns till its running smooth and blowing smoke throughout the throttle. Smoke is good. If you dont have a temp guage, get one. They are your best friend if you plan on running nitro. I check mine all the time when I am running. You want the temp to average between 200 to 220. If you go much higher, you could overheat if you start doin alot of highspeed passes. A car runnin at 220 can easaly hit 250 or 260 after a few highspeed passes.

Once you get this set, start your car and pinch the fuel line and listen, the motors rpm's should increase a little and then stall... should take about 8 secounds to stall. If the rpms increase alot turn the low speed needle clockwise (the one where that linkage conects to your carb from you servo) Use small adjustments and try again. If rpms do not increase and motor just stalls in less than 8 seconds turn it counter clockwise to richen it. Keep trying and doin this test till it sounds right.

After all this, start you motor again and adjust your idle screw with small turns till it idles well. You will probably have to turn it counter-cloackwise to slow it down at this time becuase of the adjustments to the low speed needle.

Once all this done, just run though test again to make sure everything adjusted. Tune your engine like this every day you run because weather conditions really effect nitro motors.

If this wasn't your first time, I would heat cycle the motor, but this way is best till you get the hang of tunning. PM me if you need more help.
Old 10-18-2006, 11:40 PM
morkendi

Oh yeah, alot of new nitro guys forget to clean thier airfilters after running, Go an buy a couple more foams and a bottle of air filter oil. Pt the filters in a ziplock bag and sqeeze some air filter oil in it. One oil is in, close bag and start sqeezing it and work it around. Keep this bag for clean filters and get another for dirty one. Clean your dirty ones with a little dish soap and your hands under running water. Let it dry and toss it back in your clean filter bag. I useally change my filter every 5 to 10 tanks depending on how dusty it is.
Old 10-19-2006, 12:54 AM
KillerKiwi
Banned

Thanks that's extremely helpful!