Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

The Best Engine....EVER???

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 03:03 PM
ry5no2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Best Engine....EVER???

Hi can you guys tell mewhat you think the best engine EVER is to fit in 1/8 buggy's and 1/8 MT's

Thanks

Ryan
Old 10-25-2006, 04:17 AM
WalawalaStore

Default RE: The Best Engine....EVER???

Hi,

Do you mean the fastest or easiest to tune or cheapest in price? Best could mean lots of things.

As an average, OS V Spec is good in price and performance (I have seen 2 super tight ones, bad). Os carb has the best workmanship around.

Regards

Joaquim
Old 10-25-2006, 05:21 AM
GRANT ED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I usually don’t' say this but do a search and you'll find 100's of what is the "best" car/engine/boat/cat threads and they all have pretty much the same theme.
Most people will say the best car or engine or whatever is oddly enough the model they own.
The more knowledgeable people will rightly say there is no "best" of anything. All engines have good and bad points, some are better value for money, some are easier to tune etc.
Old 10-25-2006, 08:17 AM
SAVAGEJIM

Before you do a search, it is best you choose several engines you want to find out info on. If you do a search simply for "best engine," you will get thousands of hits, which is not useful at all since 90% of all those posts are useless banter instead of information directly concerning about the engines.

There are several engines out there that a great. Novarossi 528, OS V-spec, SH and SH derivatives (XTM, LRP, etc.), and STS. Do a search on each of these engines. Be patient since you will get hundreds of hits on each of these too. Just tune out the useless BS and banterings and seek only the informational and intructional posts.

When using the search, I hate all the additional banterings it pulls up. I wish the search function had a BS and bantering filter so we can get directly to what we are looking for: straight forward informational and instructional posts.
Old 10-26-2006, 07:13 AM
ry5no2

i like your thinking SAVAGEJIM,

erm, your opinion on the best engine, just say wot you think about, the best :torque,hp, fastest, etc (remember only NITRO)

my uncle had a nova rossi, dunno wot kind, when he used to do cars bout 10 - 12 years ago, he was one of those people who had the best of everything, y'no like carbon fibre etc. n he said that nova rossi do MINT engines so i will look threw those suggestrions

(he had a kyosho burns and... ill find out)

Thanks

Ryan
Old 10-26-2006, 08:26 AM
SAVAGEJIM

I never ran a Novarossi since I do not race my Savages. But alot of buggy guys love the Novarossis and compared to the Chinese engines, the 'Rossis have an edge. In between Italian and Chinese as far as performance is the good 'ole OS V-Spec. Alot of professional RC racers use this engine too. A good gauge as to which engines are professional race gauge, pick up several RC mags and thumb through the race results sections. These usually reveal that the racers in there usually have 'Rossis and OS with some spatterings of Chinese engines.

A warning about Italian engines: They are ezpensive! If you want quality, you might have to shell out $300+. OS will be a little cheaper, abioout mid $200s. Of course, the Chinese are the cheapest. STS is by far the cheapest and provide great power to boot, believe me, I love my D28M for bashing. Nezt up on the list are the SH and its derivatives (also Chinese, the rebadaged are based on SH). These engines will out perform the STS in several key areas: acceleration being the primary one. The problem with the Chinese engines is their materials are not as legendary as OS and Italian engine materials. This is how they are able to mass produce so many of them so cheaply. I cannot remember the aluminum # they use, but I think even the HPI K4.6 uses higher grade materials.

Nezt up are OS. OS in the past never sought performance as much as it did reliability. Not to long ago, they took cues from the Italian engines and began to follow similar timings and other tricks. Check out the race tuned .12TZ and you will see that the sleeve is literally ported straight from the factory. That sleeve is so hogged out that there is no room to do any more porting.

Nezt up are the 'Rossis. These engines are high grade and unfortunately high dollar. Since these engines are milled so closely to factory specs (one of the factors for their high cost), they are essentialy blueprinted from the factory. Where the other engines would require "modding" to blue print them since their milling and casting processes are not so ezact, the Rossis are near design perfect. This "blueprinting" from the factory is what gives epert drivers, whose racing skills are so nearly even, the critical edge over another engine that is not anywhere close to its design specs.

As far as HP and torque outputs, do not go by them. The advertised HP is total BS and is a poor measure of performace since the companies inflated those numbers just to sell more engines. I believe LRP (an SH derivative) advertises 3.8HP! Thats is rediculous! Don't get me wrong, OS has fallen into the same trap. OS advertises its .18TZ to produce 2.2HP! Now that I think of it, I am wondering what test conditions Steve Pond used to produce these numbers and if it is possible to reproduce this on another dyno.

As far as seeking an engine with great power where you need it, totally disregard peak HP and torque numbers. Only look at the shape of the torque curve. If the torque curve is a nice dome shape with a long plateau, this is what you want. If the torque curve is a spikey peak, this is useless; stay away from this engine unless you are particularly good at keepoing the engine in such a narrow RPM band.
Old 10-27-2006, 04:31 PM
NitroSport22

357 cheve big block!

Old 10-27-2006, 06:46 PM
ry5no2

Thanks so far for your opinions
Old 10-27-2006, 07:44 PM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: NitroSport22

357 cheve big block!

I've seen a Chevy 350 shoe horned into a Boss Hoss motorcycle, Iwonder if you could cram that into a Savage?LOL
Old 10-27-2006, 08:00 PM
-Inverted-

The Novarossi's are great if you can afford them, but I really like the Axial's on a budget. Picco, Sirio, RB, are also very nice.
Old 10-28-2006, 07:05 AM
gt5500

ORIGINAL: SAVAGEJIM

In between Italian and Chinese as far as performance is the good 'ole OS V-Spec.
Nezt up are OS. OS in the past never sought performance as much as it did reliability. Not to long ago, they took cues from the Italian engines and began to follow similar timings and other tricks. Check out the race tuned .12TZ and you will see that the sleeve is literally ported straight from the factory. That sleeve is so hogged out that there is no room to do any more porting.
Errr OS are Italian????
Old 10-28-2006, 08:04 AM
SAVAGEJIM

No, OS is not Italian. I believe it is Japanese. Some other engine that I think are Japanese too are the RD Logics' Team Infinity engines (512 .12 5port Katana, 521? 5port big block Samurai, I cannot remember which other models came from the Toki factory). I cannot find any more of these engines before. I have a 512 Katana and need to rebuild it. I cannot find a replacement piston and sleeve rebuild kit anywhere.
Old 10-28-2006, 10:29 AM
gt5500

ORIGINAL: SAVAGEJIM

No, OS is not Italian. I believe it is Japanese. Some other engine that I think are Japanese too are the RD Logics' Team Infinity engines (512 .12 5port Katana, 521? 5port big block Samurai, I cannot remember which other models came from the Toki factory). I cannot find any more of these engines before. I have a 512 Katana and need to rebuild it. I cannot find a replacement piston and sleeve rebuild kit anywhere.
Sorry my bad