Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Himoto Racing 1/10 Official Support

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 09:02 AM
joshb86

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Himoto Racing 1/10 Official Support

Hello IamDisaster. Yes you are correct. Tamiya 48pitch metric will work with the himoto. I actually use the tamiya's myself. Id recommend a 22-24t pinion on the factory motor.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:38 AM
symbolyc1

Hello Giddy..,

I own a Himoto Rapida(single speed). Its been Great! just had one question. As i run my car on full gas tank its not goin as fast as it does when the gas gets lower. In other words, as the gas gets low(or about 3-4 minutes of runtime left), the car gets faster.

How can get my car to run that fast for the full runtime? not just when the gas gets low. What adjustment do i make for this?
Old 02-27-2007, 09:52 AM
joshb86

symbolyc1... not trying to play as giddyuperic but since i'm on the forum i thought i would help you. What it sounds like is happening is your just seeing the typical action of a low tank. If you kill your motor by pinching the fuel line that goes to the carb... then IF tuned correctly you'll notice the motor run up at higher RPM's. This is because it's leaning out the fuel flow. It's cutting off fuel flow to the motor which makes it run more lean. Now it shouldn't get too much faster when it gets low on gas.... if it is then it sounds like you would be safe to lean the motor alittle bit. Do this by turning the High-speed needle in just a bit. You don't want it to run too lean though. It's always good to use the good ole pinch test. When the motor is warmed up and running good.... pinch the fuel line to the carb and the motor should rev up for a couple of seconds before dying. Thats around the area you'll know that the motor is tuned well. Hope this helps!
Old 02-27-2007, 10:19 AM
symbolyc1

Mann thanx Josh!! this was a BIG help! yea i may need to becuz it gets like much faster when the gas gets low......................i'ma try it out and let ya know. Thanx again dude!!
Old 02-27-2007, 10:25 AM
joshb86

No problem. Glad i could help. Let me know the results. You should end up with a better running car.
Old 02-27-2007, 02:54 PM
giddyuperic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey you can answer any thing on here I don't own it and I have been sending people to you for the electric stuff as I don't run them. So thanks we are all here to help each other out. thanks Eric
Old 03-02-2007, 10:45 AM
IamDisaster

Posted this in another thread but thought it would be appropriate in the "official" Himoto Racing Support thread.

Just picked up the Himoto Nascada on Ebay. Initial reaction is car looks very tough...as in basher durable but that was the highlight. Came with a 1800mAh battery and wall wart trickle charger. I slow charged the battery with a "real" charger and it took 2300mAh.

First run was very dissapointing. Wasn't sure if drivetrain is a little too tight, ESC is weak or broken or if it is a battery issue but it barely crawls from a start...like it is wayyy overgeared. If I yank the throttle the ESC cogs horribly....just makes a click, click, click sound. I don't see any capacitor on the ESC...perhaps it is a combo issue of marginal ESC, no capacitor, poor batteries and tight drivetrain.

Yanked the motor on the Himoto. The motor was tight in the motor brace...so tight that it was nearly impossible to judge the clearance between the pinion and spur...and impossible to adjust it. I'll have to dremel a little out of the motor slot.

Drivetrain feels pretty good. It isn't TC3 smooth...but not tight and binding.

The motor appears to be the issue. Free spinning it never really cranks up. At slow speeds it pulses a little bit. It appears that it might just be running on one brush....or mostly on one brush. Power way down. I'm guessing the pulses are the second brush kicking in and out. It is just an inexpensive stamped can motor but it would have been nice if it had worked. What is the chance of getting a replacement?
Old 03-02-2007, 11:10 AM
0ldSkulRC

You know I have had similar problems with my daughter's electric Syclone. I am gonna pull the motor in that one and check it also. I have so far replaced the radio, I also have a JR ESC I am fixing to put in it if the replacement stock one doesn't work out. I think that the battery that came with it is crap or maybe it is all related back to the ESC or motor. Sometimes when I put the 3500 mah batteries in it, it will run fine, sometime not. Oh well, I'll let you know what I find out.
Old 03-02-2007, 01:28 PM
joshb86

The stock ESC is what i changed after the first 2 days. Thats probably where the problem is. And the battery pack isn't to great either. I changed out my ESC and started running 3500mah packs. With the factory motor i have yet to find a stock motor that will out perform the nascada's. I've tried the trinity Co27, hand wound, all of them. I even played with the gearing on each motor for a week. It's gotta be in the ESC that ESC didn't last no time.
Old 03-02-2007, 06:30 PM
fugadude

I bought a Duratrax 16T/w Reverse ESC and a Trinity co27 motor with a 3800 mAh (Tenergy pack) which will probably be my weak point given I hear these batteries are pure suckage it's OK this is my first electric so I figure I can afford to kill some lame packs before I get a nice one.

This is going into a Nascada. I wanted to drift the Nascada out of the box with just the wheels.

I bought this car because I've been so happy with my Rapida Pro.
Old 03-02-2007, 09:37 PM
IamDisaster

ORIGINAL: fugadude

I bought a Duratrax 16T/w Reverse ESC and a Trinity co27 motor with a 3800 mAh (Tenergy pack) which will probably be my weak point given I hear these batteries are pure suckage it's OK this is my first electric so I figure I can afford to kill some lame packs before I get a nice one.

This is going into a Nascada. I wanted to drift the Nascada out of the box with just the wheels.

I bought this car because I've been so happy with my Rapida Pro.

This one?

ON-Resistance: 0.0046
Traction Control: 0.0, 0.1, or 0.2
Reverse Delay: 0.3, or 0.8
Maximun Continuous Current: 192A
Maximum Peak Current: 660A
Number of Cells: 6-7

For $50 bucks it seems to handle a lot of power.

[link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXAXT8&P=ML]ESC at TH[/link]

Can't imagine the 3800's having a problem with a 27T stock motor. I was thinking of getting the Tenergy 3500's which are cheaper still.
Old 03-02-2007, 09:39 PM
fugadude

Oh I'm mistaken I actually got the 18T esc.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0001P?&I=LXGZX1
Old 03-02-2007, 09:48 PM
IamDisaster

ORIGINAL: joshb86

The stock ESC is what i changed after the first 2 days. Thats probably where the problem is. And the battery pack isn't to great either. I changed out my ESC and started running 3500mah packs. With the factory motor i have yet to find a stock motor that will out perform the nascada's. I've tried the trinity Co27, hand wound, all of them. I even played with the gearing on each motor for a week. It's gotta be in the ESC that ESC didn't last no time.
I'll have to dig around to see what controller I might have in the RC spare parts drawer....or maybe I'll just pick up an inexpensive one. Pretty much any $40 controller has got to be better than the one that came with it. Also got to get some real batteries.
Old 03-02-2007, 09:54 PM
IamDisaster

ORIGINAL: fugadude

Oh I'm mistaken I actually got the 18T esc.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0001P?&I=LXGZX1
Still head and shoulders above what came with it and plenty of juice for a stock motor. If I can't find a decent controller in the spare parts drawer I'll probably go for the 16T one.
Old 03-03-2007, 01:09 PM
0ldSkulRC

That sucks, I just got done ordering four of the Tenergy 3500 packs for my 10 year old daughter's electric Himoto. I have two packs already that seem to run pretty good though. My 6 year old runs them in her Traxxas. It has a P2K motor and JR SC-1 ESC also. It runs like a scalded dog. BTW, I picked up some Futaba 2PL radios pretty cheap ($30 each) without servos on eBay, that are great replacements for the stock Himoto radios.
Anyone got a Traxxas Rustler XL-5? I just ordered one for my 9 year old for her birthday. Wondering if anyone had some experience good or bad with one. After she watched my other daughters Himoto she said she wanted something faster. LOL
Old 03-03-2007, 01:19 PM
IamDisaster

ORIGINAL: 0ldSkulRC

That sucks, I just got done ordering four of the Tenergy 3500 packs for my 10 year old daughter's electric Himoto. I have two packs already that seem to run pretty good though. My 6 year old runs them in her Traxxas. It has a P2K motor and JR SC-1 ESC also. It runs like a scalded dog. BTW, I picked up some Futaba 2PL radios pretty cheap ($30 each) without servos on eBay, that are great replacements for the stock Himoto radios.
Anyone got a Traxxas Rustler XL-5? I just ordered one for my 9 year old for her birthday. Wondering if anyone had some experience good or bad with one. After she watched my other daughters Himoto she said she wanted something faster. LOL
The XL5 is a pretty good controller...the XL10 is better, but it appears the Duratrax InteliSpeed mod 16T is a better controller for the same price. Take a look at the specs,...max amperage, forward resistance...the Duratrax is better on all of those specs.
Old 03-03-2007, 02:51 PM
0ldSkulRC

Yeah, I agree the Duratrax does have more bang for the buck, but the XL-5 is the one that comes with the Rustler I ordered. The specs on it were a lot better than the XL-1 that comes with the cheaper Rustler.
Old 03-03-2007, 07:22 PM
IamDisaster

ORIGINAL: 0ldSkulRC

Yeah, I agree the Duratrax does have more bang for the buck, but the XL-5 is the one that comes with the Rustler I ordered. The specs on it were a lot better than the XL-1 that comes with the cheaper Rustler.
Woops. Misunderstood you. Thought you were looking to buy another controller. The XL5 is fine. I have an old XL1 in my son's Rustler and it is plenty fast. I think they may have about the same power handling. The XL5 just has more features...for example brakes.
Old 03-04-2007, 03:22 PM
0ldSkulRC

Yeah, brakes come in handy for the younger ones. Mine have all moved up from Radio Shack's XMods which had a cool braking feature. They like the bigger cars a lot better though.
Old 03-05-2007, 09:57 PM
joshb86

dynamite makes a decent ESC for $30. It's actually very good for the price. I believe it will handle a 15T and up. Or you could spend extra and go ahead and get a novak no limit ESC. Most of these wont have reverse but they are very very nice speedo's.
Old 03-05-2007, 10:13 PM
IamDisaster

ORIGINAL: joshb86

dynamite makes a decent ESC for $30. It's actually very good for the price. I believe it will handle a 15T and up. Or you could spend extra and go ahead and get a novak no limit ESC. Most of these wont have reverse but they are very very nice speedo's.
Good cheap controller...but no brakes.

[link=http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=DYN4925]Dynamite REV/FWD 15T ESC[/link]
Old 03-05-2007, 11:15 PM
joshb86

Ahh thats right. Tazer... no brakes. My JR i got on sale for 30 and it however does have brakes. It's nice ESC but the one i got was defective. Burnt up after a month.
Old 03-06-2007, 02:47 PM
IamDisaster

Spent a couple hours fiddling with the Himoto today. My conclusion is the gearing is way to high for the stock ESC and motor and battery. The drivetrain friction is pretty high too....but it does roll a couple feet when you push it without the motor...so it isn't binding.

I started by swapping parts out that I had around. First I substituted the "HiSpeed Electron HS-119" stock ESC for a cheap Duratrax "Sprint." The stock ESC doesn't even have a heat sink! The car actually ran with the Sprint...but it was slow and hard accelerations caused thermal shutdowns of the ESC. Interestingly, it seems faster in reverse than forward (motor timing?)

Next I swapped out the "HighSpeed SuperMotor" for a cheap 20T Duratrax "Photon Speed." The thermals grew worse. Anything more than 1/8th throttle and it would die. I guess the stock motor is a higher turn.

I measured the pinion...it is a 26 tooth. The spur looks to be about a 60 tooth. I rooted around in my parts drawer for a compatible pinion. It appears to be a 48pitch metric...not positive...but the teeth line up best with that one. Unfortunately, because of the thickness of the center drive shaft and the spur gear, it doesn't look like I can go down much on the pinion without the motor rubbing on the driveshaft....maybe 2-4 teeth. Really need a larger spur (though there is only about 3-4mm between the spur and the chassis.) I only had a 13T. Also not sure if Himoto has a larger spur...or if some other brand would be compatible.

This thing would probably work OK with a considerably more powerful ESC and better batteries. I don't want to dump to much more into it but I might try the Duratrax Intelispeed 16T Mild-Mod that is rated about 50% higher and a 22T pinion....or I may just look at it as spilled milk...lesson learned...etc....and just dump it, as is, on the classifieds. It can be someone else's project.

Old 03-06-2007, 04:58 PM
giddyuperic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes you are right about the pitch it's 48. And the guy to talk to is Josh he is and knows all about the electric cars. I am sure he can help you and you can help him. So he is your man to go to . Thanks. Eric
Old 03-06-2007, 09:29 PM
lnc0321

Hey guys, here is my Himoto Nascada. Its setup for drifting and I love it. Soon I will take it to drift races to see how it performs against more expensive drifting cars. But so far I am quite impress with this car, really good quality and speed. The esc keep turning off after a running for a while, but luckly I had a duratrax streak esc laying around. Also I changed the battery pack and I made a big difference. I am still running withe stock motor. I will recommend this car to anybody that wants to drift without spending a lot of money, it comes with bearings, adjustable tie rods alloy top plate and shaft.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71163.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	636871   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up48413.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	636872  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.