Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Hobby Store w/ RC Cars

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 04:39 PM
shotgung

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hobby Store w/ RC Cars

I'm considering opening a hobby store with RC cars and accessories. Any ideas as to low price item distributors for this type of business?
Old 04-22-2007, 04:45 PM
Rs43EVOman

Default RE: Hobby Store w/ RC Cars

My LHS uses the same distributor as Towerhobbies. its great becuase they realize that so many people are stopping with hobby shops, and ust using the web becuase its cheeper. so to try and keepo that to a minimum tyhey preatty much match all of towerhobbies prices. obviosuly becuase there a little shop there making much less money then towerhobbies, but you can tell thy've got a whole bunch of loyal customers (including me) who would choose them over tower any day.
Old 04-22-2007, 11:17 PM
paintstikker

One thing, you'll need things other than cars, because you might not make it, and planes are a large money maker since so many are being broke. You can deal in mostly cars/trucks, but add a little of everything.
Old 04-22-2007, 11:43 PM
Hack u 2

You will have to focus on your area of expertise. You can not carry all cars. If you try to carry monster trucks, truggies, buggies, touring cars, crawlers, and 18 scale you will find you will not have what they want. You need to have a vertual inventory with 1-2 day turn around. Buying these cars will carry your cost of goods to high. I would do parking lot races with the cars you carry. For example drifting is pretty popular so carry all the driftinfg accesseries possible so you can be the # spot in town to get drifting. If you like rock crawling be the # 1 crawler store. Again specific focus so you can be the expert and have all acceries. This will bring specific customers and they will only go to you because you will have everthing they can think of. Races will bring you the best revenue since they are paying you for nothing!!!
Old 04-23-2007, 11:49 AM
Nick2618

Specialzing is good but you need to figure out what has the most demand. Also maybe have access to order everything and get it quick. I live in Bradenton/Sarasota (which are not small towns) area and here only 1 hobby store has survied. All the others went out of business over the years leaving that one. If that one goes out of business then i would have to drive at least 45 mins to make it to one. By what i have seen opening a hobby store is risky business that fails easy. Im just saying do your research on demand and how many other stores are already in your area. If demand is low and there already is a couple of stores you and or some of your competiors might go out of business.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:23 PM
-EXTRA-

carry more then just car's like plane's that way when they crash they know who to come back to plus carry replacment part's for the car's you sell and also hop up's for them.