Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Suggestions for upgrading my RTR car

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 01:45 PM
420Speedster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suggestions for upgrading my RTR car

I purchased a HPI Sprint 2 with the T10 Venom truck body. Its a sweet ride imo for the $225 I paid for it.
It has a 1800mh battery, 17T motor, and a crappy 6hr charger with no lights, meter or quick charge.
I want a faster motor, can someone explain to me the Turn rating?
I want a better battery, should I got higher mh rating or go with Nimh?
I want a better charger, one that quick charges and discharges, any suggestions?
Im totally new at this and on a tight budget, so I need some expert help. Thanks.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:20 PM
HpiDrifter420

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Suggestions for upgrading my RTR car

i have a sprint2 also and your going to want for batteries atleast 3600mahs nimhs or better. for a charger duratrax peak charger is nice. go to towerhobbies.com and look they have a big selection or chargers to choose from. i find the stock motor to be fine for my needs right now as the car is more setup to drift. alot of people like to go brushless for motors. now if you upgrade your motor you will need to upgrade your esc. i think the stock one wont handle anything under 15 turns or 13 turns. the higher the number of turns is more geared torque. the lower the number the faster the motor is. it gets very confuzing so you need to know what you want the car for. novak and mamba max are what people like to use for brushless motors. but they are going to cost a brushless motor/esc combo will cost your around 200-250 so you might want to stay brushed for now. thats all that i kan think of for now.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:41 PM
420Speedster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

3600mah Nimh? Wow, thats really necessary? Just a little more ooomph and longer run time I assume?
Im really just into going fast and would like to get into drifting. You think the stock motor is fine for drifting? I hear all you have to do is wrap 5 layers of elect. tape around the center of the rear tires and 3 wraps around the outside of the front tires and you can drift on concrete? Is that true?
So how much faster would a 12t be compared to a 17t? I hear 27t is best for drifting, but you say stock 17t is fine for you?
Thanks for your help.

Looking at:

DuraTrax 6-Cell 7.2V DTX3600 NiMH Stick Standard $34.99

DuraTrax Piranha AC/DC Digital Peak Charger NiCd/NiMH $49.99

Associated Reedy Flash Modified 12T Double $34.99

Is this a good motor, and can the car handle it? What parts are prone to breaking? Do I need to keep spare belts?
Old 04-23-2007, 04:14 PM
HpiDrifter420

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the only thing i did to make my car drift was purchase the hpi mounted drift tires. there 21.00 for a pair so they are expensive but i like the look of the rims. you can buy tires or abs/pvc piping and glue it to your rims. i prefer to drift on radials than anything else. the large batteries are for longer runtimes as the stock battery gives you 15mins. this is the charger i will be getting in the next few weeks or so. http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXXG87&P=ML it will charge nicd and nimh batteries and is a peak charger. it dosent have a discharger so you would have to buy one sperate. this is the discharger i will be buying.http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXKZY2&P=ML