Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

gear mesh problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 02:30 PM
sunco1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gear mesh problem

i have a revo 3.3 and i have been having trouble with the gear mesh. when ever i tighten the screws all the way down the engine moves down and the gear mesh is messed up. a guy at traxas sed my mount was broken but i just wanna confirm the problem. is this it?
Old 04-27-2007, 02:58 PM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: gear mesh problem

Sounds like it. But any failure that causes this behaviour in an engine mount should be easy to spot. If they look fine, the problem may be somewhere else. Here's a tip, fold a piece of regular photocopy paper in half, and insert it between the gears, now tighten down your engine. Now remove the paper. Mesh should be perfect, but make sure your engine is well seated and there isn't a genuine problem with the mount before you run it.
Old 04-27-2007, 06:34 PM
MonkeyFist

Folding the paper will give about .008 of an inch clearance. I have always read that it should be more like .004, or only one thickness of paper. I know that doesn't sound like much but it does have an effect on the way the gears mesh and where pressure is placed on the gear teeth. Of course none of that matters if you have a broken mount.
Old 04-27-2007, 06:39 PM
evil

Im not sure what your chassis is made of, check its not bent or twisted around where the engine bolts up.
Just a thought.
Old 04-28-2007, 02:06 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nitro cars fold the paper, electric cars, don't. Simple. I've been doing this for nearly 20 years.