Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Big newb problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 07:24 AM
MikeGold

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big newb problem

I've just bought a new prebuilt Condor Pro car. I was struggling with it for over an hour and was not able to run it. I've set up the engine properly, filled the tank with proper glow fuel and pulled a starter loads and loads of times. I know that the fuel got to engine. Well, to tell the truth my hands got green with something that was on the starter. Anyway, I know I'm hopeless but please tell me what should I do to run it. I'm out of ideas. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-29-2007, 08:09 AM
nbk

Default RE: Big newb problem

Did you have a glow ignitor on?
Old 04-29-2007, 08:27 AM
MikeGold

glow works fine. Checked.
Cleaned the engine ( took off glow and pulled starter a few times to empty it just as they said on ********).
Tried again, nothing.
Starter is wet and some green liquid is going out of it while Im trying to start it.
Old 04-29-2007, 06:04 PM
DaveG55

You've likely seriously flooded the engine.
The first thing you need to do is get the xcess fuel ot of the engine. First empty the fuel tank, then turn the vehicle upside down wit the glow plug out. Pull the starter cord a few times. Turn the truck upright and pull a few times. repeat those steps two or three times.
Now, have you turned any of the carb needles yet? If so, return them all to factory settings.
Reinstall the glow plug and be very sure the ignitor is fully charge or has fresh batteries. In addation you may need to install a new glow plug - trying to start a flooded engin is very hard on glow plugs.
Now you need to prime the engine. You can do that one of two ways. Either block the exhaust stinger with a finger and pull the starter cord or take the preasure line off the exhaust pipe and blow gently into it. Either way you decide to prime it only prime the engine until the fuel JUST reaches the carb - NOT INTO the carb, stop just as the fuel reaches the carb.
Now hook up the glow ignitor and start pulling the starter cord. If it does not start in about 10 pulls or less, stop, remove the ignitor.
Turn the HSN on the carb in 1/8 of a turn clockwise.
Check that the engine still has a prime, install the glow ignitor, try starting again - 10 pulls max. If it does not start, remove the ignitor, turn the HSN another 1/8 turn, check the prime, reconnect the glow ignitor, try starting.
You can repeat those steps up to two more times.
Somewhere along the way the the engine sholud at least try to start.
If not then I suggest that you take it back to theLHS you got it from and ask for help geting going.

Most important of all is to try to keep your patience. I know it can be very frustrating and nitro has a pretty steep learning curve but once you get through break-in and get a little tuning under your belt your patience will be well worth it.
Good Luck
Old 04-29-2007, 06:30 PM
MikeGold

Well, it's a late night here now, and Ill continue my fight tommorow. I just want to make sure about a few things.
- Should I try to remove the starter (plastic part on the back of the engine with the starter rope) to dry it out properly? When I've tried to start the engine, some green liquid was going out of it spraying all over the place.
- What is that green liquid?
I'm going to buy a set of imbus tommorow, so please let me know before I'll mess it up even more.

I'm really afraid of destroying my model. Well, it's like making my childhood dreams true.
I'd also like to thank you for being patient and so helpfull and apologize for my engrish, because it's not my native language (though I'm trying hard).

- Is there any chance that it wasn't starting because my nitro is only 16% (manual said that it should be between 10 and 30%).

PS. I was trying to empty the engine before by unscrewing the glow, turning car upside down and pulling the starter rope a few times. There was some fuel going out of it for a while and it seemed to be empty, but after setting car up again and pulling the starter rope a few times it was getting hard to pull and the engine seemed to be flooded again. Now I know that I should have emptied the fuel tank as well.
Old 04-29-2007, 07:53 PM
DaveG55

You can clean out the PS (pull starter) if you want. Im guessing the green stuff is a combination of uncombusted fuel and oil.
Sorry, I don't know what an "imbus" is.
You probably have not hurt anything yet and I would not worry to much.
16% fuel shoud be ok, 20% would be better.
Old 04-29-2007, 09:14 PM
nitro _ burner

you could take your car down to your LHS (Local Hobby Store) and ask them to help and they will show you in first person exactly what to do.
Old 04-30-2007, 03:13 AM
MikeGold

imbus is the screwdriver with a hexagonal shape.
If it comes to hobby shops, I'm living in Limerick, third biggest city of Ireland, which is a forgoten by the god place. It was a really big problem to find the fuel in here, and I found it in the car tunning shop (halfords). In the Art and Hobby shop I was told that they are not doing any proffesional models and I should check in Dublin.
Later on today I'll tell you about my progress
Old 04-30-2007, 05:17 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm a little worried you found fuel in Halfrauds. The green stuff is very odd. Nothing green should be coming out of the engine, unless your fuel is artificially coloured green (some are coloured blue, green etc).

Find out what your factory needle settings are for the engine (break in settings) and reset them to that. Tell me more about this fuel...
Old 04-30-2007, 08:00 AM
MikeGold

Ive took all the nessesary photos.
http://rapidshare.com/files/28712192...hotos.rar.html

I have no idea what was the factory setting for the needle.

Today, after drying out the engine I've tried again to start the car. It didn't started.
After a long while the green stuff started coming out again from the starter (the place where rope was going from). Rope is green as well if it means anything. The plastic part with the starter rope is on one of the photos. It's the one with the Acme 18 written on it. Well, today I think that I've flooded the engine again. Later today I'll try to disassemble the starter to check if it's ok.

The picture of the can with fuel is attached as well.
Old 04-30-2007, 08:07 AM
Foxy

That's weird, I'm afraid you've no choice but to take it in person to someone experienced. Especially if you don't know the needle settings, it sounds like it's simply horrendously rich, but that could be just the first stage toward solving a multitude of problems. Sorry if that's not hte news you were hoping for, but I doubt anyone can help you much further with this over the 'net.

PS. I've never downloaded anything from rapidshare and it tells me I have exceeded my free download quota . You need to find a better way to share those files if you want people to see them. If they are on your PC, you can upload them here for free, just click on Post Reply, and the link at the bottom'Click here to upload files'.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:03 AM
MikeGold

So this time there should be images attached to my post.
Too bad I don't know a single person in Limerick that could help me with it...
And there is no Hobby Shop in here.

Sorry, for low quality images but I only have a digi-cam in my mobile.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99736.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	220.2 KB
ID:	675279   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf12092.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	675280   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo31415.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	675281   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dw64877.jpg
Views:	11
ID:	675282   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xi60985.jpg
Views:	11
ID:	675283   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ct17575.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	675284   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hj89168.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	675285   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xw77615.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	675286  

Old 04-30-2007, 12:15 PM
MikeGold

Sorry for double posting, but I've discovered what is the green liquid. The starter rope 'was' green. Now it's black. And so the liquid was probably a fuel with the green colour from the starter rope. I've cleaned the engine with compressed air. I'll try to dismount the starter to clean it properly. Still don't know what was the original position of the screw.
Old 04-30-2007, 01:05 PM
Foxy

Hmmm, that's the important thing (finding original factory, or break in settings). Hopefully someone can identify the engine in the pics and help you out with the original settings. Do you know what the engine is? Maybe I could go a-searching for you...
Old 04-30-2007, 01:22 PM
newcen

i got this from ******** website hope it helps if you want more info go to www.notrotek.co.uk and look to the right hand side of the home page and you should see help and advice go there and it might help hope this is of some help

The main adjustment screw would have been pre-set at the factory and we would have double checked it to make sure it is correct for running the engine in. In 99% of cases this screw will not need touching until after you have run the engine in if you wish to fine tune it. If you do loose the starting position of the screw or want to check it then the top of the screw should be just 1 - 2 mm below the top of the screw casing
Old 04-30-2007, 02:41 PM
MikeGold

ok, I'm out of hope. Can't do it on my own. If I won't find noone experienced to help me here in Limerick, I probably won't do it. I've tried to balance the screw in a few positions but it didn't helped. All I had was a single turn of engine that could have been as well just my imagination. I've ended with fuel comming out from exhaust. I'm not able to start it on my own. I'll just dry it properly and try to find someone in Limerick. Thanks for all your help.
Old 04-30-2007, 02:59 PM
Foxy

OK last thing to try. Wind the high speed needle (that's theone next to where the fuel goes in) out until it is flush with the carb body. Now wind it in 3 full 360 turns. Take off the air filter, look into the carb, is the gap 1-2mm (1.5mm would be ideal), if not, make it so. Go to the low speed needle (that's the one on the side of the carb) and set it so it is flush with the carb body, wind it in half a turn. Leaving the filter off, try to start it. If it doesn't start, use the trim on the controller to open the carb gap a bit more (make sure the wheels are off the ground, or it might try to run from you if it fires).

If that doesn't work, in the absence of the original engine settings, I'm afraid I'm out of ideas.
Old 04-30-2007, 04:34 PM
MikeGold

Well, actualy about half an hour ago I've tried to run the car without the air filter. Well in the begining I've read the manual and it said that I should oil the filter, so that was the first thing I did... Well, I did it with normal frying oil. I've contacted my father, who knows a little bit about the engines and he told me that surely it won't work because there is no air. He also said that it's an absurd idea to oil the filter and especially with the frying oil. So to make the story short, I took off the filter. 2 things happened. 1 good and 1 bad.
1. Good one: Engine made a few turns on it's own while I was pulling the rope
2. Bad one: The fuel from the place for the air filter sprayed all over the car.

So anyway, I'll clean the whole model properly tommorow, clean the air filter in alcohol, dry the whole system, try to set needle (the only one I've messed up with) and maybe I'll be able to start this damn thing.

Now you can laugh at me as much as you think. If you have any more suggestions, I'm all ears.
Old 04-30-2007, 04:43 PM
Foxy

Get a new filter. Use air filter oil (for the first few runs in the house or garage or whatever, you don't need to oil it, but when you're running around at speed, you do). I ain't laughing, we've all done stuff like that in the past. You just learned 2 valuable lessons 1 - Never substitute, and 2 - Never guess. Assumption is the mother of all cock-ups.

Oiling your filter the easy way...get a sealy bag (or a money bag like they use at banks for coins), squirt a bunch of air filter oil into it, drop the filter in. Squidge it around untnil it's absorbed most of the oil. Take it out. Give it a good squeeze to get the excess oil off (sticky yucky, innit?), now replace on car.
Old 04-30-2007, 05:06 PM
MikeGold

Well, the cleaning of the filter worked fine. It's good as new.
Tommorow I'll have another day of battle. Well, I'm working till 7, but at least I'll clean the car.

Sooner or later It'll work.
I have enough of my neighbours laughing at me and watching my frustration.
Old 04-30-2007, 05:46 PM
adam-69

not sure how to start it but dont worry about the green stuff, its the die out of your pullcord that the fuel has dissolved
Old 05-01-2007, 02:54 PM
MikeGold

Now I think I've messed it up for good. When I'm pulling the starter rope, the wheels are spinning, so it seems to be the end for me...
Old 05-01-2007, 09:04 PM
rc_racer69

ill try and help you

first find the needle that is where the fuel comes in
then turn that screw all te way in but dint tighten
then back it out 2.5 turns
next make sure the engine is not flooded
and prime the engine by pulling on the pull cord with your finger over the exaust
then make sure your glo plug is glowing
now try and start it

if it doesnt start...
i dont know
lol
Old 05-02-2007, 02:14 AM
MikeGold

Thanks man, but there are 2 more things:
1. As I said in my previous post, I have probably destroyed something as the wheels are spinning while I'm pulling the starter rope
2. I have probably messed up with the low speed needle as well.
I don't know if in this case I'll be able to start the engine at all.
Old 05-02-2007, 02:15 AM
Foxy

ORIGINAL: MikeGold

Now I think I've messed it up for good. When I'm pulling the starter rope, the wheels are spinning, so it seems to be the end for me...
This is a clutch problem. Off you go to Dublin my friend, get it fixed up by someone who knows what they are doing, otherwise you're in for more frustration.