Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Can i run my receiver on a 9 Volt?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 07:07 PM
iliketobreakthings

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can i run my receiver on a 9 Volt?

Can i run my receiver for my nitro car on a 9 Volt battery? I would just use one of those little snap on connectors for the battery and then remove the 4 "aa" magazine and solder in the 9 volt snap on.

I dont see any problems in this unless the receivers cant take 9 volts. Im sure it would last longer than the 6 volts of the 4 AA's.
Old 04-30-2007, 08:36 PM
ASSOCIATED_DRIVER

Default RE: Can i run my receiver on a 9 Volt?

I would say No. I have different recievers and the highest voltage I know it could take is 8.4 volts. The specific range is 4.8 to 8.4 volts. From 4 - 7 cells rechargables, and only 4 for dry cells (alkaline).

Some of my rx can only handle 4.8 to 6 volts. I guess they have different range capacity, but I have never seen or heard that can handle 9volts.

Higher voltage doesnt mean it will last longer. The 9 volt sqaure battery is actualy made of 6 small cells (smaller than AAA). Even if you can use this. The 6 volt dry cell battery pack, or even 4.8 4 cell rx pack would last longer because they have bigger cells (AA size), they can hold more of the mah rating.

To add, some people use 5 cell pack of 2/3 AA, sacrificing mah over voltage, with a 6.0 voltage, servos have faster reaction time.
Old 04-30-2007, 08:54 PM
hands without shadows

Dont go over 6 volts, just because your receiver can take it doesnt mean your servos can.
Old 04-30-2007, 09:04 PM
iliketobreakthings

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Traxxas-REVO...QQcmdZViewItem

Would this be a good choice for my RX then? Is this compatible with my car? I have an XTM mammoth w/ Hitec Radio system.

Is this a 6v pack?

Old 04-30-2007, 09:41 PM
DaveG55

Yes, that will work. Yes, it's six volts. Yes, it's better than a 4 pack of standard AA's

Do not hook up a 9v battery to the rx, in all likelyhood it will let all the smoke out and you know that all electronics run on smoke.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:47 PM
rael

Will that pack fit in the battery holder for your truck? Alot of truck/cars use what is called a 'hump' pack. They are typically setup as 3 batteries on the bottom with two stacked on top of them.