Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Engine Sizing

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 08:10 PM
sdoering33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Sizing

Hi Everyone.

I'm new to this area of rc, i flew competition with electric rc plyon racing for a few years and have done everything with the airborne stuff from nitro to gliders...

I've been looking over the best way to get into cars/trucks. I find myself ending up on the traxxas site looking at the jato 3.3 simply from the impressive video i've seen and the specs on it but a RTR package has never been something of interest to me... so i figured i'd ask you guys as i used to be an active member on some other forums and i know that there is a wealth of information on them. Here's where i stand:

1. I have no problem building form scratch
2. I want something that can handle more than just pavement but nothing too rough.
3. I'd prefer to go with Nitro as i have a couple buddies who own some cheap "RTR" nitro cars

One reason for building a kit would be to purchase a decent computer surface radio, i've always been a JR user and would like to continue that if i dont buy RTR. Basically i'm just looking for some direction as to what's really good on the market right now and how a built up kit will compare to these RTR packages from traxxas or anyone else.

Thanks in advance everyone.

Sean
Old 05-03-2007, 09:35 PM
Philster

Default RE: Engine Sizing

Kyosho makes the best kits, and most expensive. www.kyoshoamerica.com

HPI makes some nice kits and RTR versions that are similar are released first. www.hpiracing.com

I don't think with your experience you'll like Traxxas. Touchy subject, but they are toy-ish.

Ofna is a very good brand/importer/distributor. www.ofna.com or visit www.nitrohouse.com A good mix of kits and RTRs.

amainhobbies.com is a good site where experienced guys and racers go. Big on kits and parts.

Think 'truggy' all the way. Good handling, jumping, speed and adapdability to all aspects of R/C on/off road.
Old 05-03-2007, 10:57 PM
s7jstep1

ORIGINAL: Philster

HPI makes some nice kits and RTR versions that are similar are released first. www.hpiracing.com

I don't think with your experience you'll like Traxxas. Touchy subject, but they are toy-ish.

Ofna is a very good brand/importer/distributor. www.ofna.com or visit www.nitrohouse.com A good mix of kits and RTRs.

amainhobbies.com is a good site where experienced guys and racers go. Big on kits and parts.

Think 'truggy' all the way. Good handling, jumping, speed and adapdability to all aspects of R/C on/off road.
you forgot associated they are a good brand. traxxas isnt that bad but if you want to race, they are not that good.
Old 05-04-2007, 08:26 AM
sdoering33

Thanks for the replies guys, im going to check these links out!
Old 05-04-2007, 08:41 AM
nitro _ burner

yeh dont get a jato 2WD SUCKS in nitros.
Old 05-04-2007, 08:45 AM
sdoering33

Sucks? Meaning its harder to drive or it doesnt drive as well?...lol
Old 05-04-2007, 09:52 AM
Neil E

Jato is a fast car. Lot's of power. Can be hard to dive for a first vehicle. Can be fustrating to control in the dirt. Be prepaired to buy tires. It is a good vehicle. Well made. Easy start. Not to bad to work on. Lot's of POWER!!
Old 05-04-2007, 10:25 AM
sdoering33

I have driven a number of cars before, and ive had experience with boats as well - but my time on the sticks with the airborne stuff has given me pretty good control over any kind of model... i had 2 electric helicopters for a few years as well so im not too worried about getting something a little more "advanced" as far as handling. I think getting something to basic will only bore me..
Old 05-04-2007, 11:11 AM
Neil E

At this point then let your wallet be your guide, LOL

Cheers, hope you have many fun years in the hobby.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:15 PM
Codeblack

ORIGINAL: Philster

Ohh Philster, big understatement there... try http://www.teamxray.com/teamxray/m_i...9bdc109f5296c3

look into XB8 EC, brilliant
Old 05-08-2007, 09:37 AM
Philster

Yeah...let me rephrase. Kyosho makes some of the best kits and they are very expensive relative to other popular brands.

Freakin' Team Xray guys.
Old 05-08-2007, 10:43 AM
Codeblack

100% agreed, Kyosho has good stuff
Old 05-08-2007, 01:34 PM
420Speedster

Well if your looking at the Jato 3.3, that tells me you want big,tough and powerful. For $289, you should check out the Tower Hobbies Tower Terror. Check out the video, that thing is bad ass. The ABC engine has a 2 year warranty, and as you know, if you join the TH club you get double warranties on everything TH branded, that means 4 years on the engine. Check it out, looks like a killer basher.

[link]http://www.towerhobbies.com/products/towc03.html[/link]

All RTR's come with cheap, chinsy radios, but they work. You can replace them if you like.
Old 05-08-2007, 02:57 PM
Philster

sdoering33, you seem much better suited to some kit and not a Traxxas Jato. Few people would describe it as big tough and powerful.

Can you tell us if you are interested in on or off-road applications? You should get a kit, or maybe a 'rolling chassis', so that you can add your own radio and engine.

Stay away from ready to runs, unless you really desire a specific model and it only comes RTR. For example, an Inferno GT from Kyosho only comes ready to run, and the car has no equal. Sell the radio and engine and add your own.

Ofna makes the DM1, which is a rolling chassis, and you can add engine and radio. These are examples.
Old 05-08-2007, 03:23 PM
sdoering33

I'm definetly more interested in off road but there will be times when a little pavement driving is going to happen. I agree that i'd probally be better with a rollign chasis...
Old 05-08-2007, 09:41 PM
Philster

Here is a rolling chassis. Drop in a good .28 engine and radio/servos, and you will be well off:

http://www.teamlosi.com/Products/Def...rodID=LOSA0802

Engines such as the Picco P3 28, the Axial .28, Dynamite Mach 28 and a few others are very good options.

Pure kits (building everything from shocks to the clutch) include vehicles such as the Hyper ST truggy from Ofna, the Jammin' CRT from Ofna, Kyosho MP777 STR truggy from Kyosho, and the Mugen MBX5T. Be prepared to provide everything from pipes and clutches to wheels and tires. Kits provide value and knowledge, but a roller like the Losi is a very good way to get into it and not have a cheap RTR.

www.nitrohouse.com