Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Terrain question, plus another

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2003, 04:48 PM
Polobear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Terrain question, plus another

Ok, so in my research (which almost feels obsessive at this point, ugh), I have been forced to come face-to-face with the very real dilemma of monster trucks (yeah, yeah, CMO ...

So I came to this basic question: given the 3 'classes' of offroad vehicles (ST, MT, buggy), what is the ideal or preferred terrain for each?

ST seems to be groomed dirt or other fairly flat ground

MT seems to be rocky, uneven, grass, etc.

So what is a buggy's preferred terrain? Is it a hybrid that can move between classes and perform satisfactorily in both groomed and uneven terrain? Is it still more of a groomed-type rig?

Any insight on this would be appreciated.

Next question, what is the difference between a tuned pipe vs. a ribbed pipe, vs ?? Is there another type? What do most of the RTR models come w/ (pretty basic I imagine). How big a difference would replacing most 'stock' pipes with something better really make? What, then, is considered 'better'?

Last question, what is the advantage of pointing the exhaust pipe forward/back? Most stock models seem to point it forward, most tweakers seem to point it back. What is the difference or advantage of either/both?

Thanks!
pb
Old 03-06-2003, 07:16 PM
grampi

Default Re: Terrain question, plus another

Originally posted by Polobear
Ok, so in my research (which almost feels obsessive at this point, ugh), I have been forced to come face-to-face with the very real dilemma of monster trucks (yeah, yeah, CMO ...

So I came to this basic question: given the 3 'classes' of offroad vehicles (ST, MT, buggy), what is the ideal or preferred terrain for each?

ST seems to be groomed dirt or other fairly flat ground

MT seems to be rocky, uneven, grass, etc.

So what is a buggy's preferred terrain? Is it a hybrid that can move between classes and perform satisfactorily in both groomed and uneven terrain? Is it still more of a groomed-type rig?

Any insight on this would be appreciated.

Next question, what is the difference between a tuned pipe vs. a ribbed pipe, vs ?? Is there another type? What do most of the RTR models come w/ (pretty basic I imagine). How big a difference would replacing most 'stock' pipes with something better really make? What, then, is considered 'better'?

Last question, what is the advantage of pointing the exhaust pipe forward/back? Most stock models seem to point it forward, most tweakers seem to point it back. What is the difference or advantage of either/both?

Thanks!
pb
Here's my $.02, and I'm sure the old heads will correct me if I have any of this wrong.

Buggies have the least amount of ground clearance, so their more intended to be run on a groomed track. ST's have a bit more clearance, making them suitable for the track or back yard bashing. MT's can pretty much be run on any type of terrain.

I've never heard of "ribbed" pipes, but tuned pipes are preferred. The difference in output between and engine with just a muffler, and that of an engine with a tuned pipe can be astounding. Most RTR's come with a tuned pipe that offers a good compromise between low end torque, and high end hp. Aftermarket tuned pipes are available in a wide variety. There are those that are made to increase bottom end torque, or high end hp, and dual chambered pipes that increase both torque and hp. If I were going to spend the money to buy a specific type of pipe, it would be a dual chambered tuned pipe.

There is no performance advantage/disadvantage to routing your pipe forward or rearward. This is done for cosmetic reasons.
Old 03-07-2003, 02:33 AM
Polobear

Re: terrain, sigh, ok. I am afraid I need to give considerable attention to MTs in my selection, as they are kings of the terrain where I'll spend most of my time. My wife has already started w/ the jokes...

Re: pipes, ok. I saw that i mis-spoke on the one, it is rippled, not ribbed. Have seen a few on sites, but not sure what the real advantage (if any) is.

Re: forward/aft facing, fair enough. Personally, I think I like aft-facing but that seems to be aftermarket on most rigs.

Now I get to sift thru 500,000 savage/maxx posts. Great.

pb

ps, have much wind up there today grampi? we had gusts of about 40 i think here, it was wicked at times.
Old 03-07-2003, 03:05 AM
vwtrey-RCU

stupid wind!

thats all i have to say

trey
Old 03-07-2003, 03:34 AM
grampi

We had 50+ today.
Old 03-07-2003, 03:41 AM
Polobear

This is precisely why I'm lookin for something that isn't affected by the wind so much...

grampi, I see you eyeballing the MonsterGT... thinking of taking the plunge to MTs? (whenever I think of monster trucks, a voice in the back of my head starts playing: sunday, Sunday, SUNDAY..., the old ad that always seemed to play on TV and advertise truck and tractor pulls).

When is that thing due out?
Old 03-07-2003, 03:50 AM
grampi

I'm considering the MT plunge if I can find a rolling chassis I like. If AE decides to make an MGT available in non RTR form, I'd probably buy one. Their RTR kit is due out sometime this summer.
Old 03-07-2003, 03:57 AM
Polobear

See, right now (newbie), I'd vote for the rtr, but that's mostly a matter of convenience. Once I make up my mind on something and can get it broken in, etc., I'll have to see if I can find a public land spot north of Ft.C a bit where we could all get together and mess around some.
Old 03-07-2003, 04:04 AM
vwtrey-RCU

polobear, are there any places down there where you can drive one around, and not make people angry. i havent been down in that area very often, but it seems like there isnt a lot of open room to play. just curious.

trey
Old 03-07-2003, 04:18 AM
Polobear

Well, off the top of my head, in and around FtC there is:

City park (few ball fields, open grassy areas)
Martinez park (same as above, plus more gravel-areas and some tennis courts)
Horsetooth park has lots of spots from long grass/gravel to some rockier stuff. Lots of good jumping potential here (I do a lot of mountain biking here).
Up poudre canyon a bit there are a couple bike trails that have gravel/small rock areas, not real wide open but enough to bounce around a good bit.

Horsetooth has the biggest potential, as there are lots of areas there all along the lake (well, the dry lake bottom, anyway). there are some places along there where there could be some serious jumping (and I do mean serious). There's another park behind horsetooth but i can't remember the name of it off the top of my head. Most of these places are probably 15 mins off 25.

Most of the places I ride mtn bikes, there are places where there'd be some decent banging around, I just mentioned a few above.

pb