Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Bad news for a newbie ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2003, 07:29 AM
ChetRog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad news for a newbie ?

today i got my rc car going but after the first tank i couldnt get it started so i messed with idel screw and really messed it up..My car was reving really fast and well i burnt up my spur gear and the inside of the engine by the glow plug got black..It now is like its not getting a full pull when i pull the pull starter...but I think it mite be flooded or at least im hoping...when i take the plug out it is just like it was before ..seems like it has good compression....I have a new spur gear and am going to try it tomorrow but is there a way i can tell if the engine is gone...Not to long ago i pulled on it for a minute and it almost started and a little fire came out the pipe...Any suggestions

Man that first tank of gas was fun though
Old 03-09-2003, 08:57 AM
buyrbware
My Feedback: (2)

chet return all settings back to the starting point we discussed, drain fuel from engine...disconnect fuel line install glow plug and pull it through start....let me know if it is easy or if you feel compression
tom
Old 03-10-2003, 02:10 AM
ChetRog

Engine is not blown..thank god..but now im having some issuses whith it stearing where i want it and so on..servos mite be hooked up wrong or something...I can drive it and turn and it will keep going straight..lol and the engine will rev up when i pull theh brake..and i noticed when its in front of me and the engine isnt running the servos are twitching..
Old 03-10-2003, 05:35 AM
Moonunit451

Replace all your batteries and try again. What kind of transmitter do you have? If it's the Ace Jaguar, or almost any other type, you have switches to reverse the servo's on the transmitter. Where in Oregon do you live??????
Old 03-10-2003, 06:23 AM
ChetRog

I changed batterys but have to wait till the morning to try it out..also when i start it the wheels start spining like its wants to go.Its not fast but its anoying to start it and it takes off..what screw should i mess with to get it not to do that and to be idel when i start it.....I dont know why today it would run away from me and not turn when i would want it to..and rev the engine really high ....last night when i started it and went through the first tank of gas it was perfect ..but then i messed with one of the screws and it almost blew up on me...It was just spinning and spinning...I hope i will be able to figure this out because it was so much fun when i had it going without any proublems...how long is a set of batterys supposed to last on a car....
Thanks guys..

I live in Eagle Creek Oregon
Old 03-10-2003, 06:24 AM
ChetRog

The Transmiter is called Futaba "magnum sport"
Old 03-10-2003, 06:25 AM
buyrbware

take the car out of your garage put the antena on the transmitter down move 75 ft from the car run the servos thru....Is it responsive is it wanting to constantly do it own thing....If you are ontop of your car with the transmitter you will get a glitch everynow and again xspecially with the engine off...range check see if glitch goes away...If your reciever is bad it is the frequency filter, you can't fix it!!! send it to a radio shop and have it tuned! about 50.00 and guess what you can by a new reciever for what it will cost! Please make sure, Like moon said that your batteries are charged!!!! The filter in the reciever is the first to go and airtronics is famous for it...I lost 2 recievers in a week on two airplanes...Beautiful way to lose 1000.00

Tom
Old 03-10-2003, 06:45 AM
ChetRog

Radio seems to be fine...
Old 03-10-2003, 08:15 AM
buyrbware

probably a signal hit if this doesnt happen with engine running or not in a enclosed area if the radio gear range checks than don't sweat it!

Tom

Servo's_ the next part of your problem sounds like your servo's need reversed. Should have these switches on your transmitter..will say channel 1/2 Norm/ reverse...Is your sterring going the way you turn the wheel if it is disregard the above and use your trim to adjust for proper traking...If you turn one way and it goes the othe than reverse your servo by the switch!

Goodluck
Tom
Old 03-10-2003, 08:21 AM
ChetRog

The more im looking at the the controler i think my batterys are llow there are three lights on the controler the full is green the mid is green and the Low is red....I noticed on the bottom of the controler that it has a hole that looks like something can plug into it maybe to recharge the batterys? .How long to regualr alkaline batterys last in the controller...Thanks as always guys
Old 03-10-2003, 08:25 AM
buyrbware

not long by nicads!
Old 03-10-2003, 08:37 AM
Moonunit451

None of them last very long. I only get about three hours or so out of 1800 Mh Nimh batts. They go away fast and if your in the red look for bad things to happen. If your thinking about using a charger on that transmitter, be careful. I think you need just the right one and NiCd chargers won't work with Nimh batts as far as I know and recharging alkalines is something else altogether. Don't do it. You gotta have rechargable batts to run these things or you'll go broke. Nimh are the best available to my knowledge. Lithion ion are the most rockin' batts I know of, but I haven't seen them available in standard A, C & D sizes yet
Old 03-10-2003, 08:57 AM
ChetRog

This is a stupid question but how do i know what kind to get..rite now my reciever takes 8 AA batterys are the nicads just like them but rechargable..thanks for any info
Old 03-10-2003, 09:17 AM
Moonunit451

Ya, they are the same size, but you have to have a charger for them. DON'T buy Nicd's! Get Nimh batts with a charger. You can get chargers that charge both Nicd's and Nimh batts. If you PM CMO he can give you an ebay link to a good price on Nimh batts. Then you just need a charger. Maybe Costco, look online. Definately BiMart, Freddy's or a bunch of other places you have access to. Maybe find one online cheaper. Let's see who chimes in. You must have to come into town sometimes. lol.
Old 03-10-2003, 09:21 AM
buyrbware

great contervsey over nicad verses nimh batteries I use nicad and they work great. go to your local hobbyshop and buy a 12.00 futaba charger and 10.00 worth of nicads aa size batteries

The standard positive pin charger will work if you buy it from walmart 50mah charging rate
Old 03-10-2003, 09:34 AM
Moonunit451

WOH, gotta go, workin' again at 7:30 in the am, but I'll debate tihis question anytime! Nimh is newer technology and the batts last longer on a charge for more charges than Nicd's in my experience with both. I guess I missed the debate, but we surely could start one. Yeeeha. Maybe tomorrow.
Old 03-10-2003, 10:23 AM
buyrbware

no your right newer and last longer..... I just like nicads. both last about the same on a charge

Enjoy the work day!

batteries
Old 03-10-2003, 10:23 PM
Moonunit451

Oops, good article,a little over my head though. I should probly try to remember that Facts are generally useful during debates, anecdotal commentary generally falls way short :stupid: . I wasn't really planning on a debate and should have thought a little more before letting my feeble fingers fly.

Actually, by the time Nimh showed on the scene I was getting so tired of my worn out Nicd's it seemed like these things were a gift from heaven I don't think I've bought any nicads for six or seven years now. Didn't even know they were still makin' em. I haven't seen any regular consumer sizes for sale in forever.