Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

TOY or sport ? what do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 03:04 PM
performancehobbies

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TOY or sport ? what do you think?

when i had one 87 A.E buggie i didnt think it was a toy ,,,but now 16 grand or so later ,i get pissed when someone says TOY about my car or races....

come on for some guys this is a business/career/hobby...

by far RC racing needs to be put more in the lime light ...its unbeleivable how advanced this sport has become .
whats it goin to take for people to understand that some guys do nothing else but eat ,breath ,crap RC.

for instance look at this truck that competed in our event today ---nothing about his truck is cheap ,and you couldnt never buy this at a toys r us ...lol
with the amount of money being made by these companies and LHS's....any hobby shop that called my rc's a toy i wouldnt shop there.

ill post some video's later of the truck pullin a sled ....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74232.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	767736   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc94206.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	767737   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm23875.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	767738   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wp40510.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	767739   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oz30268.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	767740  
Old 09-22-2007, 03:10 PM
andrewtexas123

Default RE: TOY or sport ? what do you think?

Mayby its the finding nemo body.. haha im just messin with ya

I agree i hate it wne my brother's like mayby we can go to walmart and get some more rc's! Its so annoying!

Andrew
Old 09-22-2007, 03:43 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont get what the issue is, let people call them whatever they want to.... its your hobby not theirs.

Hobbies by nature seem worthless, expensive, stupid, and childish to those who arent interested.

Show that youre adult about it by not caring.
Old 09-22-2007, 03:46 PM
DaveG55

It's a hobby, a sport and they are toys. And I'm not ashamed to say I play with them. If you're uncomfortable about them being referded to as toys then, imho, you're being too sensitive.
After all the old saw goes " the only difference between men and boys is the price of their toys" and, believe me, I've got some pricey toys.
If anybody ever gives you any crap about it just shrug it off, chances are they have a hobby that takes all their money that you or I would consider friviolus too so it all evens out.
Old 09-22-2007, 03:52 PM
adam-69

all mi firends mock me cause i 'play with wee toy cars' and my rugby team hates me cause i always racing instead of playin rugby on a saturday. so i say which would yew rather do, drive yewr car or play in the mud with a bunch of guys in shorts? haha.
Old 09-22-2007, 04:20 PM
Checkpointracer

ORIGINAL: DaveG55

It's a hobby, a sport and they are toys. And I'm not ashamed to say I play with them. If you're uncomfortable about them being referded to as toys then, imho, you're being too sensitive.
After all the old saw goes " the only difference between men and boys is the price of their toys" and, believe me, I've got some pricey toys.
If anybody ever gives you any crap about it just shrug it off, chances are they have a hobby that takes all their money that you or I would consider friviolus too so it all evens out.

Very well said. I agree.
Old 09-22-2007, 05:15 PM
drevil
My Feedback: (5)

Took the words right out of my mouth. The way I see it is that they definitely are toys, but who cares? I'm sure the same guys who make fun of your toys do something that a lot of us would consider lame like collecting coins. What says that his hobby is better?

I've got a lot of toys and if somebody doesn't like it that's too bad for them. They really need lighten up.
Old 09-22-2007, 07:05 PM
Anomie

I agree with Dave, as well.

So much time and cash has been poured (and I mean freaking poured) into my truck, and few can see it as anything other than a toy. With all of the engineering and machine work involved, I have always viewed it as much more than that. But I understand that everyone is different. If they don't see it, just shrug them off...

We know exactly in what we are involved.
Old 09-22-2007, 07:55 PM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: performancehobbies

for instance look at this truck that competed in our event today ---nothing about his truck is cheap ,and you couldnt never buy this at a toys r us ...lol
with the amount of money being made by these companies and LHS's....any hobby shop that called my rc's a toy i wouldnt shop there.

ill post some video's later of the truck pullin a sled ....
Aside from toy vs sport, I bash about only with mine so I say they are toys. Now, if I race them, then it becomes a sport.

As for pulling, that is something I definitely want to get into. But the single engine Savage is not going to cut it. It would have to be gas (weed eater engine) or multiple nitro engines.

I am surprised the the puller rig in those pics is only single engine. Nitro engines lack something very improtant: torque. A single nitro engine might poduce near 2BP, but I have yet to see a given nitro enguine pproduce one half or a ft-lbf (that is 96in-oz!)
Old 09-22-2007, 09:01 PM
R/Cpullerdude

On dirt, our R/C's are too light to effectivly use all the torque. You need tons of wheelspeed to pull as much as we do on dirt. Carpet is a different story though.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:11 PM
Drift Noob

Under $200, toy.

Over $250, Getting a bit serious.

16 Grand, what the heck... Machine!

But it still is a toy, just like train sets and stuff. You can blabber on about how it's a hobby, but a child playing with a plastic hammer, what a hobby that is. It's definately not a sport though. it's a crap load of fun, and that's all that matters, namecallers are just jealous.

What a toy that truck is MAN!!!...

Old 09-29-2007, 07:40 AM
ferrarimk13

u cant really say a nitro is a toy, because its just like anything else with an engine, if it was electric, then its more of a toy, if you're not going to race it like SavageJim said.
Old 09-29-2007, 01:09 PM
haasjj

Ok first off don't let my comment start a flame war if you don't like what I say PM me and cuss me out there. These trucks are toys and we are in a hobby if you race and want to call it a sport go ahead I don't call it a sport but thats just me. One the other hand what is a toy?

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source
toy /tɔɪ/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[toi] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation,
–noun 1. an object, often a small representation of something familiar, as an animal or person, for children or others to play with; plaything.
2. a thing or matter of little or no value or importance; a trifle.
3. something that serves for or as if for diversion, rather than for serious pratical use.
4. a small article of little value but prized as a souvenir or for some other special reason; trinket; knickknack; bauble.
5. something diminutive, esp. in comparison with like objects.

IN my opinion its something we don't need but we often own for an escape from our regular life, example a mototcycle most people don't need a motorcycle its something we own for fun, unless its your only mode of transportation. A corvette is a toy no one needs a corvette but oh boy do they look good and are fun to drive. A boat unless your boat is used for commercial purposes, its a weekend get away fishing trip then its just a toy. WE are playing with toys but, don't most people and if someone scoffs at you ask them what they do in there leisure time, or why they own (example here) just to have fun with. SO have fun with your toy and laugh at the people that don't understand.
Old 09-29-2007, 01:23 PM
Beasley1

I agree with andrew. Maybe its the body, lol.
Old 09-29-2007, 02:29 PM
annie_himself

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: haasjj

Ok first off don't let my comment start a flame war if you don't like what I say PM me and cuss me out there. These trucks are toys and we are in a hobby if you race and want to call it a sport go ahead I don't call it a sport but thats just me. One the other hand what is a toy?

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source
toy /tɔɪ/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[toi] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation,
–noun 1. an object, often a small representation of something familiar, as an animal or person, for children or others to play with; plaything.
2. a thing or matter of little or no value or importance; a trifle.
3. something that serves for or as if for diversion, rather than for serious pratical use.
4. a small article of little value but prized as a souvenir or for some other special reason; trinket; knickknack; bauble.
5. something diminutive, esp. in comparison with like objects.

IN my opinion its something we don't need but we often own for an escape from our regular life, example a mototcycle most people don't need a motorcycle its something we own for fun, unless its your only mode of transportation. A corvette is a toy no one needs a corvette but oh boy do they look good and are fun to drive. A boat unless your boat is used for commercial purposes, its a weekend get away fishing trip then its just a toy. WE are playing with toys but, don't most people and if someone scoffs at you ask them what they do in there leisure time, or why they own (example here) just to have fun with. SO have fun with your toy and laugh at the people that don't understand.
Tell me which one of your RC's fits this..
Old 09-29-2007, 03:19 PM
performancehobbies

lol --last couple of posts......if i spent 600,000 on a lamborghini would that be a toy still because it has no trunk,,,lol

im talking about the fact that people are very serious about racing...if you have a bash truck and you just bash it ,,,sure it could be a toy

but if you pay mega money for registration to sanctioned events --it shouldnt be considered a toy ..

im just saying LIKE I SAID BEFORE ----if your racing ---thats REAL racing at a roar or club event,and losing SURE you could call it a toy
but if your winning and you are determined to win every race or at least make that a goal to place high its a SPORT...

I wish i had a dollar for every RICH guy who buys a truck and tries to race AND GETS STOMPED,,thats what i love about rc ...for a small amount of money a good driver can woop up on a RICH guy with his expensive truck ..

BUT a GOOD driver with a decent amount of money and sponsorship will eat up most guys who just think rc is a toy and go buy what someone tells them is cool ...

man you cant beleive how many guys buy --ALUMINUM AND OTHER STUPID PARTS THAT ARENT RACE STYLE PARTS..
THEN THINK THEY CAN SELL THE CRAP FOR WHAT THEY PAYED....LOL--LOL--LOL-LOL...

REAL RACERS know this isnt a toy ----if you lose all the time call it a toy ....

to me this is a sport ,,maybe because i never finish last ......EVER,,,,beleive this ---im not trying to be cool its just ive spent alot of time
in and out of races,,,12 years ...i manage a hobby shop right NOW come visit and race...performance hobbies dunnellon florida\

we are actually racing right now----thats right now and i am sitting in the shop working ...
come get some with your toys.....lol....ill make you really feel like a rich guy with a toy lol----or i can sell you sport truck

no flame war here .....and dont pay attention to my post count ....ive got 7 screen names here ...
Old 09-29-2007, 04:24 PM
ferrarimk13

its neither! lol, i say its a hobby.
Old 09-29-2007, 04:31 PM
annie_himself

lol --last couple of posts......if i spent 600,000 on a lamborghini would that be a toy still because it has no trunk,,,lol

im talking about the fact that people are very serious about racing...if you have a bash truck and you just bash it ,,,sure it could be a toy

but if you pay mega money for registration to sanctioned events --it shouldnt be considered a toy ..

im just saying LIKE I SAID BEFORE ----if your racing ---thats REAL racing at a roar or club event,and losing SURE you could call it a toy
but if your winning and you are determined to win every race or at least make that a goal to place high its a SPORT...

I wish i had a dollar for every RICH guy who buys a truck and tries to race AND GETS STOMPED,,thats what i love about rc ...for a small amount of money a good driver can woop up on a RICH guy with his expensive truck ..

BUT a GOOD driver with a decent amount of money and sponsorship will eat up most guys who just think rc is a toy and go buy what someone tells them is cool ...

man you cant beleive how many guys buy --ALUMINUM AND OTHER STUPID PARTS THAT ARENT RACE STYLE PARTS..
THEN THINK THEY CAN SELL THE CRAP FOR WHAT THEY PAYED....LOL--LOL--LOL-LOL...

REAL RACERS know this isnt a toy ----if you lose all the time call it a toy ....

to me this is a sport ,,maybe because i never finish last ......EVER,,,,beleive this ---im not trying to be cool its just ive spent alot of time
in and out of races,,,12 years ...i manage a hobby shop right NOW come visit and race...performance hobbies dunnellon florida\

we are actually racing right now----thats right now and i am sitting in the shop working ...
come get some with your toys.....lol....ill make you really feel like a rich guy with a toy lol----or i can sell you sport truck

no flame war here .....and dont pay attention to my post count ....ive got 7 screen names here ...
Why do you have to win to call it a toy? Winning has nothing to do. Toys have little or no value. Since when does your Revo, Savy, Mugen, Losi or Serprnt have little value?
Old 09-29-2007, 05:10 PM
boltech

I'm going to bring up some speculation here, just something for you guys to ponder.

Be it a $600.00 RC or a $200,000 sports car. It's there solely for amusement, education, or competition.
Some would say "Would you give a nitro RC to a 5 year old?” I would say "No but I would not give a blow up doll, or vibrator to a 5 year old either and we call those toys!"

Some will argue price would determine if an RC is a toy or not, Vintage children’s toys can fetch up to $5000.00 or more
After 5 to 6 years when support is dropped and parts are scarce, our once prized and pricey hobby grade RC won't be worth the box it's stored in and will most likely become a shelf queen.

As others have said there will be people that will always call your RC's toys, Treat it with a grain of salt.
Full sized cars are even referred to as toys by those of the opposite sex.

Definition of Toy from Wikipedia.
A toy is an object used in play. Toys are usually associated with children and pets, but it is not unusual for adult humans and some non-domesticated animals to play with toys. Many items are manufactured to serve as toys, but items produced for other purposes can also be used as toys. A child may pick up a household item and 'fly' it around pretending that it is an airplane, or an animal might play with a pinecone by batting at it, chasing it, and throwing it up in the air. Some toys are intended primarily as collector's items and are not to be played with.

Toys and play in general are an important part of the process of learning about the world and growing up. The young use toys and play to discover their identity, help their bodies grow strong, learn cause and effect, explore relationships, and practice skills they will need as adults. Adults use toys and play to form and strengthen social bonds, teach the young, remember and reinforce lessons from their own youth, exercise their minds and bodies, practice skills they may not use every day, and decorate their living spaces. Toys are more than simple amusement, and they and the way they are used profoundly influence most aspects of life.
Old 09-29-2007, 06:17 PM
C.A.R.

If it is manufactured as a toy, what changes between the point of final production and your purchase?

They are toys, but then most things are. You could go as far as to say that anything material is pointless. It depends on how materialistic you are, and there are even those horror stories about people who don't even wear clothes[:'(]

To be considered anything other than a toy; it has to serve a greater purpose. If it was to prove itself anything more useful than to bring enjoyment to the user, then it would be more than a toy. This is the same reason I disagreed with the whole 'sport' debate.

Unfortunately there are people out there who simply feel too strongly about the hobby. It may be because of a lack of other interests or even momentary departition from reality. If it keeps them happy, who are we to argue? If we make it what we want it, and don't try to enforce our beliefs on others, we can enjoy the hobby more, as a community, by sharing ideas and stories. By going into the whole ideology of what we think about this, we will only upset people on the way.

I really had to think about what I was writing there too! So read it!

Thanks, Chris.
Old 09-29-2007, 06:44 PM
haasjj

Well most of you won't get the underlying joke here but if you do "O&A" ...

I guess we will just have to agree to disagree.
Old 09-29-2007, 06:58 PM
annie_himself

ORIGINAL: boltech

I'm going to bring up some speculation here, just something for you guys to ponder.

Be it a $600.00 RC or a $200,000 sports car. It's there solely for amusement, education, or competition.
Some would say "Would you give a nitro RC to a 5 year old?” I would say "No but I would not give a blow up doll, or vibrator to a 5 year old either and we call those toys!"

Some will argue price would determine if an RC is a toy or not, Vintage children’s toys can fetch up to $5000.00 or more
After 5 to 6 years when support is dropped and parts are scarce, our once prized and pricey hobby grade RC won't be worth the box it's stored in and will most likely become a shelf queen.

As others have said there will be people that will always call your RC's toys, Treat it with a grain of salt.
Full sized cars are even referred to as toys by those of the opposite sex.

Definition of Toy from Wikipedia.
A toy is an object used in play. Toys are usually associated with children and pets, but it is not unusual for adult humans and some non-domesticated animals to play with toys. Many items are manufactured to serve as toys, but items produced for other purposes can also be used as toys. A child may pick up a household item and 'fly' it around pretending that it is an airplane, or an animal might play with a pinecone by batting at it, chasing it, and throwing it up in the air. Some toys are intended primarily as collector's items and are not to be played with.

Toys and play in general are an important part of the process of learning about the world and growing up. The young use toys and play to discover their identity, help their bodies grow strong, learn cause and effect, explore relationships, and practice skills they will need as adults. Adults use toys and play to form and strengthen social bonds, teach the young, remember and reinforce lessons from their own youth, exercise their minds and bodies, practice skills they may not use every day, and decorate their living spaces. Toys are more than simple amusement, and they and the way they are used profoundly influence most aspects of life.
HAHAHAHAHA
Old 09-29-2007, 07:12 PM
jatoracing33

if it has a big fat made in china sticker and lead paint then its a toy
Old 09-29-2007, 07:22 PM
ferrarimk13

made in slovakia baby, lmao, xray rocks.
Old 09-29-2007, 08:22 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I need to step in here for a moment and comment on this statement. It is a serious violation of the RCU Community Rules to have more than one username here on RCU. If members are found that do indeed have more than one username they will at least face time on Moderated Status and at the most may find themselves banned from RCU altogether.

USERNAMES & DISCLOSURE:
Only one username or account is necessary at RCU, all others will be removed. If you create a second username to act as a shill or in attempt to bypass a management ban, you will be at risk of permanent removal from RCU. A shill is defined by but not limited to the act of promoting products for vendors, products or the like, and the act of hiding behind anonymity to abuse normal membership policies and etiquette.

If you are a manufacturer, vendor, sponsored representative, retailer or the like for an r/c related company or product you must specifically identify yourself and the particular affiliation in your signature. Any member affiliated with a company not identifying themselves as such is at risk of revocation from RCU. This is identified, but not limited to a member who gains anything financially whether in cash, product, discount or the like.

Web addresses may not be used as usernames.
We have researched this matter and there is no evidence that this member does indeed have more than one account. I think he's just pulling all of your legs, for whatever reason.

Ken

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.