Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Problems with short run time?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 07:03 PM
TheIronMaiden

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems with short run time?

Ok so heres the deal, I have a Team Losi -T and i recently upgraded to a Epic 27turn motor. Ever since this upgrade the run times have been getting much shorter than with my previous motor. I don't think the problem lies with the batteries(they are less than a month old and i take good care of them), I think it might be the gearing on the car. It came stock with a 19 turn motor along with an 88 tooth spur & 20 tooth pinion. Would changing the pinion gear help this at all? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-07-2008, 10:52 PM
Super Mud
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Problems with short run time?

Probobly would make a difference, higher gearing will keep the motor from winding out and reaching the rpms too fast which will drain the battery.
Old 06-08-2008, 10:13 AM
Dudelive

ORIGINAL: Super Mud

Probobly would make a difference, higher gearing will keep the motor from winding out and reaching the rpms too fast which will drain the battery.
I would think it would be the opposite. A higher gearing will cause a harder load for a longer period of time getting up to top speed which would cause run time to be shorter due to a higher amp draw from the motor.

Check the motor after running for about 1 - 3 minutes, no longer.......see if the temp of the motor is too hot. At the same time check the temp of the esc. When you get those temps right or at least close you should be good to go AS LONG as you have good connections EVERYWHERE.
Old 06-08-2008, 10:24 AM
i8tweety
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are a couple of things to look at. To start with, check your gear mesh (pinion/spur). If it is too tight, the motor will be working too hard, increasing motor heat and reducing run-time. If your gear mesh is ok, try going to a smaller pinion. Your top speed will be reduced, acceleration increased, and motor load reduced (increasing run-time).

One more thing: How much run-time were you getting with the factory 19T and with the 27T? What battery (capacity) are you using? What charger do you have?
Old 06-08-2008, 11:23 PM
dacaur

yea there is no way that a higher tun motor should get lower run time with the same gearing... if its not the gear mesh, then it might be a bad motor....
Old 06-09-2008, 12:30 AM
calvino

ORIGINAL: dacaur

yea there is no way that a higher tun motor should get lower run time with the same gearing... if its not the gear mesh, then it might be a bad motor....
or maybe the comutator is dirty and or the brushes are almost gone???
Old 06-09-2008, 08:22 AM
i8tweety
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The number of winds is not the only factor when it comes to gearing. If the timing on the 19T that came with the truck is not as radical as a stock motor (24 degrees of timing advance), then it can pull a taller gear.