Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.
View Poll Results: A poll
Nitro
49.53%
Electric
50.47%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Nitro Vs Electric

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 10:46 AM
Chris_RC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Nitro Vs Electric

Do you know that this thread was 2 months old?
Old 10-04-2008, 11:10 AM
warheadforever

ORIGINAL: Chris_RC

Do you know that this thread was 2 months old?
Yea, so? Who cares? It is fun to talk about anyway!
Old 10-05-2008, 03:02 PM
camaross427

I have a nitro and an electric car..the nitro, well broke after a few months it was a pain in the ***** to tune before every run..but when the engine ran it was so cool,better sounding and more realistic than any electric, but this realism doesn't change the fact that electric is just plain easier.

electric i can just charge the batt, i have 3 batteries, and 1hr to charge each so i can virtually keep the car running all day if i keep charging the batt's after runs so runtime isn't a problem..my electris will smoke my nitro...my electric is cleaner, isn't loud, no fuel to deal with and i just snap in the batteries and go...and for wheel stands there is nothing better than electric as electrics have full torque from the getgo where as nitro have to rev up go gain torque...all these facotrs combined make me prefer electric..nitro is good if you have a lot of time to deal with it...but electric is just so much easier.....i know a lot about internal combustion enignes and everything..i have even rebuilt some..but that is for real cars..for rc i prefer electric
Old 10-05-2008, 04:05 PM
fishy boy

nitro is for big boys.
Old 10-05-2008, 07:52 PM
Anomie

ORIGINAL: happywing

ORIGINAL: Anomie
And we should not. Let us keep it relevant.
And let's also recognize when someone is injecting a little light humor and not take everything so seriously.
I understand.
Old 10-06-2008, 02:52 PM
My Name Is Brad

ORIGINAL: fishy boy

nitro is for big boys.

Best quote of this whole thread.

leave the electrics to the 10 year olds with their stampedes and rustlers.
Old 10-06-2008, 05:55 PM
rcnitrohead

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Electric is for the kids with Nikko's.

JK but they are both equal in their own respects, its all personal preference.

Tom.
Old 10-06-2008, 07:02 PM
Access

I don't know if this has been mentioned before but some states are starting to pass laws against 2-stroke engines, this is affecting things like the boating industry, motorbike industry and such. Sometimes they limit 2-strokes to electronic or direct fuel injection but most just outlaw 2-strokes altogether with fines for buying, selling, and/or prohibiting use. Most laws just apply this ban to "recreational vehicles" and I'm not sure if a hobby car, truck, plane, or heli would apply but as these laws get more expansive and pervasive nitro could get caught up in this net and that could well be the end of nitro as we know it today.

some examples:
http://data.opi.mt.gov/bills/2007/billhtml/SB0024.htm
http://www.abate-wa.org/AMANews.htm
http://home.ama-cycle.org/newsroom/a...sp?rnum=V03002

In the city, running nitro can also get a track shut down due to noise and/or pollution ordinances and enforcement.
Old 10-06-2008, 07:10 PM
camaross427

one of the things i like most about electric is the ability to take it anywhere...no noxious fumes from gasoline..no having to deal with oil..just put it in a bag or something stick in in the car and you can take it anywhere...and since it is electric no fumes and quiet you can run it anywhere without disturbing anyone...
Old 10-06-2008, 08:20 PM
happywing

ORIGINAL: My Name Is Brad

nitro is for big boys.

The following are the results from our race yesterday. CJ was the only one with an electric truggy. TQ and winner...by 3 laps. It's one heck of a Stampede!

Truggy qualifying order-

1. C.J. Boka 11/5:25.84
2. Todd Kukulis 10/5:06.46
3. Aaron Trobaugh 10/5:07.75
4. Mark Vidosh 10/5:21.16
5. Mike Roe 10/5:21.56
6. Bob Keyes 9/5:05.18
7. Greg Kline 9/5:26.04
8. Thorny 6/4:59.59

Truggy A-Main-

1. C.J. Boka 40/20:31.48
2. Todd Kukulis 37/20:04.96
3. Mark Vidosh 37/20:24.08
4. Greg Kline 34/20:16.33
5. Aaron Trobaugh 30/16:17.10
6. Bob Keys 24/14:41.58
7. Mike Roe 1/0:31.51
8. Thorny DNS
Old 10-06-2008, 10:06 PM
warheadforever

ORIGINAL: Access

I don't know if this has been mentioned before but some states are starting to pass laws against 2-stroke engines, this is affecting things like the boating industry, motorbike industry and such. Sometimes they limit 2-strokes to electronic or direct fuel injection but most just outlaw 2-strokes altogether with fines for buying, selling, and/or prohibiting use. Most laws just apply this ban to "recreational vehicles" and I'm not sure if a hobby car, truck, plane, or heli would apply but as these laws get more expansive and pervasive nitro could get caught up in this net and that could well be the end of nitro as we know it today.

some examples:
http://data.opi.mt.gov/bills/2007/billhtml/SB0024.htm
http://www.abate-wa.org/AMANews.htm
http://home.ama-cycle.org/newsroom/a...sp?rnum=V03002

In the city, running nitro can also get a track shut down due to noise and/or pollution ordinances and enforcement.
That is absolutely unacceptable! It is insane! What right do they have to tell you what you can buy or own! Also, how would people mow there lawns?
Old 10-06-2008, 10:13 PM
warheadforever

ORIGINAL: happywing

And we should not. Let us keep it relevant.
And let's also recognize when someone is injecting a little light humor and not take everything so seriously.
I understand.
Hu???? I though this thread was locked?
Old 10-07-2008, 08:03 AM
Anomie

ORIGINAL: warheadforever

Hu???? I though this thread was locked?
It was.

Please, continue [sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Old 10-07-2008, 12:10 PM
warheadforever

It was.

Please, continue [sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Oh, O.K....

But to be back on topic, I still like Nitro.
Old 10-07-2008, 12:52 PM
lee172

i see (the content of) threads like this dont change..
Old 10-07-2008, 12:55 PM
vnmsgt

nitro is for big boys.

I am a nitro guy too but I just recently bought a Caster Fusion 1/8 electric buggy and put a brushless motor on it and ran it a couple times and raced this weekend with it against nitro buggies and all I can say is the nitro guys looked like 10 year olds out there compared to the electric. Sad but true, it does everything better.
Old 10-07-2008, 03:40 PM
adam-69

I'd rather be a ten year old having a great time than a 80 year old who worries about his throttle agression stratagy when pulling onto the straight . (just a wee joke, not flaming)

But your post is right, Nitro is for big kids, well im not exactly big (teenager) but its for people who love having a wee engine buzzing arround, pouring out oil, stalling, constantly needing tuned etc.

It's great fun!

Each to their own is the way i look at it.

P.S. Nitro's better (said in squeeky kids voice)
Old 10-07-2008, 05:30 PM
3D 4 ME

Though electric is less of a hassle,is cleaner,quieter,and cheaper. I'd have to go with nitro. More power,more speed,and it smells awesome!
Old 10-07-2008, 07:16 PM
vnmsgt

ORIGINAL: 3D 4 ME

Though electric is less of a hassle,is cleaner,quieter,and cheaper. I'd have to go with nitro. More power,more speed,and it smells awesome!
That is the thing, it is NOT more power and speed. I have instant torque and will pull a nitro buggy like he was standing still on a straight or out of a turn even with a motor like a well tuned V-spec. If I had some Lipo's in it like 8000's or so I could easily outrun a nitro without thinking about it. I can clear the biggest jump on the track if I wanted a good 4 feet longer than any nitro. I have to back off just to land correctly. I am not saying electric is better than nitro as I still prefer nitro but electric will outperform it and do it pretty easily lately with all the things coming out.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:53 PM
Access

Here we go again, you're living in a box if you think a modern electric is overpowered or outsped by a modern nitro. And carbon monoxide poisoning is responsible for the deaths of 20,000 people a year (in the US), that's about half the poisoning deaths in the nation. Not good stuff.

One doesn't need to post to the forums to justify their choice. Nitro is still legal for now so if you enjoy it, by all means, run it. But don't try to say you are more of a man or something like that b'cos of it. The days of electric being a little sister to nitro are over.
Old 10-08-2008, 10:50 AM
Nightrunner

Started out in electric with hand me down old Rustler and 4Tec. Predictable, reliable but not much fun with the motors they had.
Bought first Nitro a few months ago, gave up totally frustrated after a month or so. Then with the help of folks here and at local race track mastered the ropes of Nitro engine maintenance. Now it it totally reliable going and tons of fun, smell of Nitro and the zoom of the engine are awesome. Love it so much bought another Nitro Monster truck, this new truck was fun from day one.

Have also bought a newer Losi electric truck and plan to convert it to brushless shortly. Have raced with similar Brushless Trucks (Borrowed from friends), they are fast awesum and totally reliable.

In a nutshell Electrics are reliable and dependable from day one for newbees. But once a person has mastered the Nitro engine, nitro's are no problem. Nitro's also give another dimension to the hobby of working on gas engines/clutches/tranny's/brakes etc. very similar to a real car.

Basically I love both equally now. Electrics for their ease of usage and Nitro's for their heart warming Zoom and letting me play mechanic.

Nightrunner
Old 10-08-2008, 02:15 PM
My Name Is Brad

ORIGINAL: Access

Here we go again, you're living in a box if you think a modern electric is overpowered or outsped by a modern nitro. And carbon monoxide poisoning is responsible for the deaths of 20,000 people a year (in the US), that's about half the poisoning deaths in the nation. Not good stuff.

One doesn't need to post to the forums to justify their choice. Nitro is still legal for now so if you enjoy it, by all means, run it. But don't try to say you are more of a man or something like that b'cos of it. The days of electric being a little sister to nitro are over.
That struck me as very funny and VERY stupid at the same time.

Unless you are sticking the pipe stinger up your nose and inhaling, you will NEVER die from carbon monixide posioning from a nitro rc car. The stupid things people say on this site are almost unbelivable.
Old 10-08-2008, 02:25 PM
The Hedgehog

The stupid things people say on this site are almost unbelivable.
Ironic
Old 10-08-2008, 02:48 PM
RCtruckRacer

It is completely beyond my comprehension as to why people feel it's necessary to degrade someone for their personal tastes in this matter. I do not understand why people on both sides of this fence feel they have to try to convince someone 'on the other side' that they are completely wrong, and in the process call them childish names. These threads always seem to bring out the lowest common denominator in people, and I cringe everytime I see one.

Several posts have been deleted, and warnings even given that this behavior must stop. One thing that is obvious to me: this subject will always lead down the same road. In the future, I will personally lock a thread with this subject the very instant it stray's towards the unacceptable, just as this one.