Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

REALLY FREAKING IMPORTANT QUESTION

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 03:24 AM
ryansiki

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default REALLY FREAKING IMPORTANT QUESTION

OK, I need to find a cheap cheap hobby store in canada with an online store.I went to greathobbies and found out that if i can find it for a lower price they'll match it and take off 25%. SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-01-2009, 03:39 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: REALLY FREAKING IMPORTANT QUESTION

You do realise the goal of price matching is to give you the best price they can, and not to be shafted by people going out of their way to take advantage? Since the profit margin on RC is around 20% on small scale stuff, you're taking money out of their pocket (they will make a loss). If you think their prices are good, take it, and help them stay in business so that when you need someting else you can be sure they will have it at a good price.
Old 02-01-2009, 03:41 AM
ryansiki

dont care. bad economy.Plus it ain't hurting anyone. greathobbies.com should be fine,same with hobby wholesale.com
Old 02-01-2009, 07:15 AM
SIRCC

support your local hobby shop, if you find it advertised for less, let them match it, im sure they would appreciate your business. Don't try to get over on them, they are there to serve you.
Old 02-01-2009, 09:57 AM
evader8

man that is low i dont know wht i would do if my lhs left, the track would be gone. u should support ur lhs no matter wht, so tht day when u have trouble or a question they can help u and maybe even give u a brake.
Old 02-01-2009, 11:25 AM
redfisher1974

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: ryansiki

OK, I need to find a cheap cheap hobby store in canada with an online store.I went to greathobbies and found out that if i can find it for a lower price they'll match it and take off 25%. SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thats the problem their is no cheap online store in canada they are all high priced due to the 80 cent canadian dollar...
Old 02-01-2009, 12:00 PM
SlashBasher
My Feedback: (8)

this isnt an important question. As Foxy said, its to give you good price not to get shafted by people who dont care about the business at all. The economy is down, ok bad for you. worse for the store
Old 02-01-2009, 12:04 PM
Wild YFZ 450

dont care. bad economy.Plus it ain't hurting anyone. greathobbies.com should be fine,same with hobby wholesale.com
It's people like you that shouldn't be in this hobby.. Trying to practically scam your LHS so you can save a little bit of money.. I don't think that this is "REALLY FREAKING IMPORTANT QUESTION" I don't even think it should be in this forum.. Trying to scam practically scam your LHS to save a bit of money.. how low can people go..
Old 02-01-2009, 12:09 PM
SlashBasher
My Feedback: (8)

^^^+1this is rediculous. Its people like you thats cause LHS's to go out of business. They try to be nice by price matching and you try and scam them out of their money.[sm=punching.gif]
Old 02-01-2009, 12:09 PM
dar123

^very low.
Old 02-01-2009, 12:59 PM
SAVAGEJIM

If this is what you want to do, that is totally your prerogative. I cannot tell you what to do, I can only ask, and I ask that you dont try to convince others to exploit such deals. Your local hobby store is actually passing on a great deal in hopes of bringing in customers, they too are suffering from the bad economy just like you are. (And yes, the RC sector has taken a hit, RCs are a luxury, so that is one of the products many people will pass over in favor of essentials such as food, clothing, paying thier rent or mortgage, and paying for their cars to go to/from work/school).

I should implore you to try to support your local RC store, afterall, do you see ANY on-line stores setting up tracks and holding weekened races or even running any sort of racing events? I have seen many local RC stores go under, and the tracks they used to have people at every weekend, and even some weeknights, simply fold up and the tracks bull-dozed.
Old 02-01-2009, 01:46 PM
evader8

+1 support LHS
Old 02-01-2009, 01:53 PM
ryansiki

First off. Our LHS carries some trucks for about a $100 less than greathobbies. savage XL $599($709) CAN.Because of our dollar it makes every thing really freakin high.Also we dont even have a track (i think).Plus why should I pay 450 when I can get it for a $100 less. Also I'm in Canada so are economy isn't as bad.
Old 02-01-2009, 02:11 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In the long term we'll all be better off if our local stores stay in business. I prefer supporting my local guys even if its a few dollars more, especially in this economy. Many hobby stores are family owned businesses and directly employ people in the community.
Old 02-01-2009, 08:43 PM
Wild YFZ 450

First off. Our LHS carries some trucks for about a $100 less than greathobbies. savage XL $599($709) CAN.Because of our dollar it makes every thing really freakin high.Also we dont even have a track (i think).Plus why should I pay 450 when I can get it for a $100 less. Also I'm in Canada so are economy isn't as bad.
I just hope you get what you deserve...
Old 02-01-2009, 08:49 PM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: sheograth

In the long term we'll all be better off if our local stores stay in business. I prefer supporting my local guys even if its a few dollars more, especially in this economy. Many hobby stores are family owned businesses and directly employ people in the community.
I agree here 100%. The local RC stores are kind enough to set up on-road tracks during the weekeneds in the parking lots, and they are also good enough tomaintain and keep an off-road track in good condition.

Additionally, they do hire locals, some highschool kids and mostly college students, who in turn encourage the hobby to their classmates. So I know for sure my local RC stores contribute to the hobby as well as the local economy by giving kids and college students jobs.

Now, one of my local RC store does have a price matching policy with internet prices, but I use that judiciously. For one, I do not low-ball them with outrageous fleabay rogue prices, and also, I do not use it in alot of cases just to support my store and its employees.
Old 02-01-2009, 08:51 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The small stores also help a lot when it comes to getting new people into the hobby. I see lots of families come and go, and I've seen many kids get addicted.
Old 02-01-2009, 09:02 PM
t-max97
My Feedback: (9)

[:@]
ORIGINAL: oday1395

^^^+1this is rediculous. Its people like you thats cause LHS's to go out of business. They try to be nice by price matching and you try and scam them out of their money.[sm=punching.gif]

+1 this is rediculous[:'(]
Old 02-01-2009, 09:21 PM
SlabBro

"Here's your sign". I support 2 flyers in my house hold and still do 90% of my business in the lhs's. About the only thing i go overseas for is the batts and such for the indoor foamie season. You +1 are simply screwing working people cause you're like my boss" trippin over a dollor trying to save a dime". Knowledge and resources are the valuables of the lhs, every tom dick and harry can carry parts, but what when you have a question? what when it's one a "tech support" can't read off a cue card? Karma has a sick sense of humor
Old 02-02-2009, 03:18 PM
Wild YFZ 450

ORIGINAL: cubmaster126

Knowledge and resources are the valuables of the lhs, every tom dick and harry can carry parts, but what when you have a question? what when it's one a "tech support" can't read off a cue card? Karma has a sick sense of humor
+1 I hope he gets what he deserves
Old 02-02-2009, 05:18 PM
qoisdhc oqina
My Feedback: (-1)

^ and this is very ridiculous
Old 02-02-2009, 05:53 PM
Druss

If it's actually $100 less at your LHS why don't you just buy it there? Since I live Edmonton both great hobbies and hobby wholesale are local to me, if I need something from them I don't try to talk them down in price, I just pay it. If I can find it cheaper somewhere else then that's different and may buy it online. I actually buy most of my stuff used so I don't use hobby shops too much but when I do I buy local.

Also keep in mind that your local price is probably lower because it's old stock that they bought when the dollar was high. Great hobbies has higher turn over so they are now buying at the higher price.
Old 02-02-2009, 06:05 PM
lee172

first off this kid isnt scamming anyone, he's just trying to get the best deal possible, and i notice most the replies that discourage this are from the USA, where things are considerably cheaper/better value, as i'm from the UK, most of my RC stuff (vehicles and parts) come from abroad, as i refuse to pay prices that are ridiculous, while i agree this doesnt help my LHS, its not the LHS i have the problem with, its them idiots who decide we should pay ridiculous amounts of tax, its just unfortunate that the LHS loses out.

there, rant over!
Old 02-02-2009, 06:20 PM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeh, I think we've gone a bit overboard here, and I can't help but feel responsible with my first post, however much I think i think it's the right sentiment, I do not believe this guy was looking to ruin the hobby industry, and that was certainly not my intimation either.

Whilst I'm not the kind of person who would do that, the shop is extending the offer, and it's there for anyone to take advantage of. I guess the shop is pretty confident about their prices, which is a good thing in this economical stage.

Probably you won't find cheaper in the same area. Would you make that offer if you thought you would be taken advantage of?